USA - Canada 29th January 2013 in Houston Friendly(R)

Max

Considering that US was suppose to destroy Canada, this is a good result. I take back a lot of **** I said about Jakovic. He was a beast. MOM IMO.

As expected Canada didn't offer much on offence except on set piece, but I think we are happy that we got a look at a lot of players. Can't wait to see what Bekker can do with Hutch

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ESPN commentators are actually funny with the number of times they said "ugly" and constantly lammenting about how they expected 3-0 or more. Ha, looks good on them.

That was actually a very entertaining game from my standpoint. We defended as a team and they struggled. We had a few chances on the counter but basically frustrated them for 90+ minutes. I think Bekker has a real good future depending on who he gets to play with for wings. He really doesn't hesitate to swing the ball 40+ yards to the other side of the field and switch the point of attack.

I'm sure the folks in DC are happy to see Dero playing this well.

backpassing to GK will cost us a goal.

Ya probably the weakest part of Thomas' game tonight. Liked what I saw otherwise, but to be frank he wasn't really tested that much.

USA once again proves they have zero ideas WRT how to break down an organized defence.

I'll eat my pound of crow coming off this one. Makes it look like fitness (and some very high quality players) probably had a fair amount to do with the result vs Denmark.

Anyway, we can now afford to get a little bit tighter with future rosters. Clearly there are a few guys who will be back, but there are others who should be held back a little longer.

That was much better than Saturday although the US was very poor. But all the young kids and DeRo should take a bow for a gritty performance. I'm not going to say the future is super rosy; but I feel much better about things than I did in mid-October.

I agree that Morgan never had a good game. His inexperience showed in this one.

I thought Morgan really tightened up his game in the second half after having a few shaky moments earlier in the match, in the end he was shutting the American right winger down well!

Bekker, Teibert, Attakora, Jakovic, De Rosario, Ledgerwood are the names that pop out from this match.

I think those 6 are locks for the Gold Cup team. Morgan is as well but his performance was really sub par for me, shaky and indecisive on the ball at times. De Jong and Klukowski are still the top left backs by quite a bit.

Happy for Thomas getting the clean sheet, the kid has potential but he was indecisive at times and could have been caught out if not for good defending. Ricketts put in a hard shift but just really didn't have much of an impact but to be fair he didn't get the service he needs to be a threat (balls over the top).

Hey Yohan, what is with the Hutch talk? I haven't seen him sign anywhere yet. Is there something you know or just hopes on your part?

Bekker and Ledgerwood really played well off each other in the first half. That has some potential. So out of all the looks at the next generation which one did you guys like the most?

I'll go with Bekker. Not as good against Denmark but very noticeable and effective tonight so I'll go with him.

I liked JBB in this game. Didn't really do anything stand out but had a nice tidy game in the central midfield. As someone mentioned, it would be great if he could catch on in MLS.

Also, would have liked to see Stillo play one of the two games. Who else didn't feature in any of the matches? Fresenga?

They said Fresenga passed a fitness test after the Denmark match, but perhaps they came to some sort of agreement that it's not worth risking it right now when he's trying to get a job with the Whitecaps.

I'm pleased with the way the team bounced back vs the US and am not surprised, they weren't over matched like they were with the Danes! It's a good start of the rebuild, I think we can take some positives out of the camp and two friendlies!

Interesting that while it was the US B team vs. the Canadian C team, we got the D team from the Officials and possibly the E team from the Camera crew. I mean, I've got a pretty big tv, yet somehow the soccer ball was almost always out of shot in this game - why the hell didn't the camera put the ball in middle of the screen? And I don't know what game these Refs were watching (for either team) but then that was apparent the moment 30 seconds in the game that the ball went out of play, the linesman flagged it and the Ref didn't notice for another minute. Wtf???

Anyway, we were aided by a rather pitiful US performance, but good on the boys for the game, the effort and the result. A much better performance defensively, even if we didn't try to do too much offensively after giving up 12 goals in the previous two games I'll take the shut-out.

Some observations:

- not sure that Morgan & Teibert were ever in sync down that left flank, they each looked like they wanted to do the same thing - be the winger that got the cross in, and neither got forward as much as I would have liked.

- would have been nice to let Stillo play at least a few minutes

- With Paul Mariner gone, I really hope that Stinson can start getting some minutes again with TFC (ditto Doneil Henry) - I've always liked how tight Stinson gets to players defensively - he's one of the best we've got at doing that

- Joshua Gatt the Pratt has become a new American player to hate. What a whiny douche bag that guy was tonight.

Bekker, Teibert, Attakora, Jakovic, De Rosario, Ledgerwood are the names that pop out from this match.

I think those 6 are locks for the Gold Cup team. Morgan is as well but his performance was really sub par for me, shaky and indecisive on the ball at times. De Jong and Klukowski are still the top left backs by quite a bit.

Happy for Thomas getting the clean sheet, the kid has potential but he was indecisive at times and could have been caught out if not for good defending. Ricketts put in a hard shift but just really didn't have much of an impact but to be fair he didn't get the service he needs to be a threat (balls over the top).

Agree with most of the above. With less time on the ball than he's used to, I thought Teibert's first touch appeared to let him down on occasion, and his he seemed a step behind in terms of his vision moving forward at times. Had a reasonably solid game defensively though, which was not the case against the Danes. Also if he can continue to deliver dead balls the way he did in this game that's certainly will be an asset for him. I think he'll get a spot on the GC roster if he can secure a spot with the Caps, but he's in some pretty stiff competition there, so that's by no means a guarantee.

In terms of the younger players, have to agree Bekker showed a lot of poise. Could push for a starting spot on TFC if he keeps it up. Henry and Attakora both responded positively from their last performance... Especially a good bounce-back game from Henry in his natural position.

Would have liked to have seen Fresenga.

Rest of the "youth" players did reasonably well, showed they belonged.

Archived