Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Incroyable

Jonathan Lao on Canadian Soccer

Recommended Posts

A couple of articles with comments from Canadian U20 player Jonathan Lao, currently playing in Germany. Interesting take on the importance of playing abroad and the state of Canadian soccer. Plus, his take on the Honduras loss. Lets just say I hope his thought process is matched across the board for young Canadian players.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/01/26/canadian-connections-jonathan-lao-on-the-importance-of-playing-abroad/

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/01/27/hope-is-in-the-horizon-for-canadian-soccer/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perked up when I saw him tweet at me regarding the new FM18 mod with a screenshot of him playing for Halifax, saying "I’ve always wanted to live out east, how’d you know!". So, I asked if he still intended to continue with a pro career, and he responded, "If my rehab keeps going well, I definitely intend on trying my chance at a pro football career especially near home!" 

 

He's always looked solid at the USPORT (MVP two years in a row if I remember correctly) and L1O with Vaughan, would love to see him play in CPL. Seems like a no brainer to me with Isacco coaching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plain and simple there are better players. He's only 3 years younger than me, and I played against him a few times and wasn't impressed by the hype. So if he's good enough then maybe I should reconsider having a lil short pro career too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Plain and simple there are better players. He's only 3 years younger than me, and I played against him a few times and wasn't impressed by the hype. So if he's good enough then maybe I should reconsider having a lil short pro career too.

Maybe but we are not talking about him becoming a MLS starter or national team player but as someone as a CPL player in the first years of the league. A good L1O player with German 4th division experience bouncing back from injuries may be of the level of player needed to fill in the roster of some of these teams.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Maybe but we are not talking about him becoming a MLS starter or national team player but as someone as a CPL player in the first years of the league. A good L1O player with German 4th division experience bouncing back from injuries may be of the level of player needed to fill in the roster of some of these teams.   

1

Like I said...there are a lot of better players who are even younger than him that can be used to fill out these teams. That's not including the several expats that have professional experience, that may be looking to come home. 

I don't want to seem like a know it all, but I've played with and against a lot of these players. Some are overrated, some are underrated, some aren't even noticed.

Edited by Jahinho Guerro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Like I said...there are a lot of better players who are even younger than him that can be used to fill out these teams. That's not including the several expats that have professional experience, that may be looking to come home. 

I don't want to seem like a know it all, but I've played with and against a lot of these players. Some are overrated, some are underrated, some aren't even noticed.

That may well be true but that is why these teams will be holding tryouts to fill out the roster and if there are better players than him as you claim they most likely will get selected. Plus he is also talking about playing for the Halifax team, a city with a much smaller pool of local talent than the GTA where I imagine most of the players you consider as better are located. The salary for CPL depth players may not be high enough to entice many of these players to try out in another part of the country and uproot their lives. Can't fault him for believing in himself and trying to get his career going again. That is precisely one of the main roles of the CPL  to give players who otherwise might leave the game an opportunity to keep their career going. Most of these players will just end up being depth players but the occasional one may be a late bloomer and turn into something better and if not at least they raise the level of the league and will help the younger players develop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Big_M said:

Played in Oberliga not Regionalliga

Yes you are right, he played 5th division not 4th which is a pretty big difference in playing level. Based on that it is possible that JG is right and he may not be good enough for CPL although he was also pretty young at that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...