Canada MNT Names Young Squad for January Camp

David C.

Proper journalism - I love it. Missed Davidson.

Now, WHY OH WHY do we not have four of OUR young prospects (like Clarke, Hamilton, Webb, El-Masri) there instead of having four American USL players there to make up the numbers? What a wasted opportunity. I'm seriously banging my head against the desk.

A lot of knocks mentioned too and with all the tough tackles on our own players, there are bound to be a few others going down when the actual matches against opposition start, meaning any extras would probably see a bit of action too.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ good piece from Davidson.....Nolando, don't fret so much about having a few fill ins for a scrimmage. that's all they are....fill ins....no need to spend tens of thousands to bring in Canadian fill ins who stand approximately zero chance of contributing to the national team just to make up the numbers in a scrimmage.

the part of that piece that stood out for me right came right at the end when that 18 year old local boy sums up one of the major problems with football in North America....how are you an 18 years old "elite" player (good enough to play for a USL side) and you've never having played against a competitive game against "fully grown men" before. shocking to me.

Now, WHY OH WHY do we not have four of OUR young prospects (like Clarke, Hamilton, Webb, El-Masri) there instead of having four American USL players there to make up the numbers? What a wasted opportunity. I'm seriously banging my head against the desk.

A lot of knocks mentioned too and with all the tough tackles on our own players, there are bound to be a few others going down when the actual matches against opposition start, meaning any extras would probably see a bit of action too.

+1 on having 4 more of our own players in camp ... it could have been 4 NA players to save on travel (Clarke, Hamilton, Welshman, Johnson, Bernier, etc.).

But more so, I kept thinking as I read the article, "If Dunfield injures Fresenga, I'm going to be really pissed".

Seriously?

Why not bring Canadians? - a few reasons. But short answer - Money.

To take a positive away from this supposedly crappy situation, consider how awe-struck the young players were by the quality of a CMNT team that included many players their own age, or in couple of instances younger (exception being the high-school student).

They'll probably cherish the experience the rest of their lives.

Why is Dunfield throwing around red card worthy challenges in a training camp? Isn't he supposed to be experienced????

And he's still at it LOL

"Another thumping tackle from Terry Dunfield. Miller halts training and gathers players in. Love to know what subject matter is. #CMNT. "

Archived