Canada MNT Names Young Squad for January Camp

David C.

I have to question whether Colin Miller has actually seen all these unknown players or is he just pulling names out of a hat, because anyone can do that. This is the type of situation that disappoints me about these interim coaches.

He said most of the players were called before he became interim coach.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I have a thought...it is WTF?

Seriously though, maybe it was a numbers game. I have only glanced at the list but there seems to be alot of central midfielders: Dunfield, Bekker, Alderson, JBB, Legerwood, Stinson (did I see his name there?)

On the other side of the coin, we lack wide players, which is why Porter is there (along with the club-less James) Hope he catches on in Vancouver though.

Jordan Webb and Sherif El-Masri wouldn't have looked out of place on this list, FWIW. Would rather see either of them over this Gomez guy or Jonke. And no mention of Hamilton's absence? Is he injured or something?

Im pretty happy with this roster. Youth is what we needed to bring in and we have done that. I think we should be giving as many players a chance in the MNT as we can in the next couple of years before we start to reform our full roster. No one from the last WCQ cycle should be a lock. Positions need to be earned.

There are a few players I too would have liked to see, but we seem to have explanations for most of the absentees which is really nice. So we also know the CSA has the ambition to call the right people.

Is it a safe bet to say that based on who is not here we can begin to speculate that the Qatar camp could be very promising if the absentees are all called?

The list so far: Cavalini, Randi Edwini-Bonsu, Chechinski, Alderson, Piette, Sodade, Aleman, (who am I missing?).

Both Habers and probably take away Alderson and Sodade since they are based domestically.

Guest Brethers

El-Masri and Webb for the game in Qatar maybe? A lot less travel and on a FIFA date so no possibility of a club clash (have no idea about the singapore season dates though)

The thing I still can't wrap my head around is how you can call Evan James, Emanuel Gomez (!), JBB and Phil Davies, then leave off Saiko and Hamilton. Guys who have actually been playing and earning NASL honours in the process.. what kind of message does this send to players in the program?

The Gomez call is a reach at best, there is no way the obscure league he is playing in is even at the level of NASL which says something.

Also, why wasn't Cavallini released? His team doesn't play until February 15th

http://www.soccerway.com/teams/uruguay/club-atletico-juventud/

The thing I still can't wrap my head around is how you can call Evan James, Emanuel Gomez (!), JBB and Phil Davies, then leave off Saiko and Hamilton. Guys who have actually been playing and earning NASL honours in the process.. what kind of message does this send to players in the program?

The Gomez call is a reach at best, there is no way the obscure league he is playing in is even at the level of NASL which says something.

Pretty sure I saw on my facebook that Paul married a girl I went to high school with, maybe he declined because of that?

Also, why wasn't Cavallini released? His team doesn't play until February 15th

http://www.soccerway.com/teams/uruguay/club-atletico-juventud/

The only thing I can think of is that the players you list all either need a team (JBB, James), or should be looking to move to a better league (Gomez, Davies) and this could be a way to get them some exposure. It's a bit of a stretch ... but I can't rationalize it any other way.

I do think that we still need to try to win games, for a whole host of reasons, so I don't want to just throw anyone out there "for a look" if it means getting trashed in the process.

I don't even think we'll get raped by the US they called out their D-C team too.

US C team is full of good MLS regulars. I don't think Canada is in for a 'rape', but I'd be very surprised and happy if Canada could get any sort of result.

I don't even think we'll get raped by the US they called out their D-C team too.

B team perhaps, but NOT C or D. Wondolowski scored 27 goals in MLS in 2012. Not a "C" team player.

GOALKEEPERS (3): Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire)

DEFENDERS (9): Steven Beitashour (San Jose Earthquakes), Tony Beltran (Real Salt Lake), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), A.J. DeLaGarza (LA Galaxy), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Connor Lade (New York Red Bulls), Alfredo Morales (Hertha Berlin), Justin Morrow (San Jose Earthquakes), Jeff Parke (Philadelphia Union)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (out of contract), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders), Benny Feilhaber (Sporting Kansas City), Joshua Gatt (Molde), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (5): Juan Agudelo (Chivas USA), Will Bruin (Houston Dynamo), Edson Buddle (Colorado Rapids), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

After reading some very arrogant comments on mlssoccer.com I feel like asking everyone how they feel our young guys will do in terms of performance, not result? My two cents are, given that a chunk of the squad had played together at the U-23 Olympic qualies, I think the kids will be alright, they will play a conservative systems game.

Yeah we have a few guys out of contract but like others said, this will hopefully put them in the shopping window.

It is true that the domestic side the USA has called reads like an MLS all-star selection, but let's take a look at some of the guys we have called...

Gk-Lars Hirschfeld: Arguably better than the three USA keepers

FB-Ashtone Morgan: MLS starter

CB-Dejan Jakovic: MLS starter

CB-Doneil Henry: Occasional MLS starter

CB-Nana Attakora: Former MLS starter

M-Terry Dunfield: Occasional MLS starter

M-Kyle Bekker: Projected MLS starter (3rd overall pick in Superdraft)

M/F-Dwayne DeRosario: MLS All-star (Arguably better than any attacker called by USA)

M-Nick Ledgerwood: Would arguably be a starter in MLS

F-Tosaint Ricketts: Would likely be a starter in MLS

So as you can see, we have called in at least 10 players who should be competitive. We also have players like Teibert and James, who are not seeing many minutes (or are clubless), who have already shown flashes of quality here and there.

Also, the USA squad is pretty solid but they also have a few players that raise some eyebrows. Connor Lade for example has been noted as a weak link for the NYRB backline last season and many US supports were confused at his selection. Alfredo Morales, although he is with Hertha Berlin in the Bundesliga 2, is very much a fringe player who doesn't get many minutes. Even Alejandro Bedoya (formerly a squad player at Rangers) is out of contract from Helsingborg. Furthermore, Mix Diskerud, who does well by all accounts at club level, was part of the USA U-23 team that fell to a Canadian side that fielded the likes of Philippe Davies, Matt Stinson, Even James, Kyle Bekker etc...

I would be surprised if we won down in Houston, but having a closer look at who as called for both sides, I don't fear that we are going to be demolished.

Depending on who they field, it's going to be a tough game for us. I'd expect their starting lineup would at least include the guys i bolded below. That's enough talent to give us some serious issues. Short of some big performances from guys like Fresenga and Tiebert who could provide width, I can't see us being too effective attacking, which will only snowball our problems.

---Johnson-------------Wondolowski--------

-------------------Zusi---------------------

------Davis-----Beckerman---------Evans---

DeLaGarza----Gonzales----Besler------Beltran

-----------------Johnson -------------------

Yeah we have a few guys out of contract but like others said, this will hopefully put them in the shopping window.

It is true that the domestic side the USA has called reads like an MLS all-star selection, but let's take a look at some of the guys we have called...

Gk-Lars Hirschfeld: Arguably better than the three USA keepers

FB-Ashtone Morgan: MLS starter

CB-Dejan Jakovic: MLS starter

CB-Doneil Henry: Occasional MLS starter

CB-Nana Attakora: Former MLS starter

M-Terry Dunfield: Occasional MLS starter

M-Kyle Bekker: Projected MLS starter (3rd overall pick in Superdraft)

M/F-Dwayne DeRosario: MLS All-star (Arguably better than any attacker called by USA)

M-Nick Ledgerwood: Would arguably be a starter in MLS

F-Tosaint Ricketts: Would likely be a starter in MLS

So as you can see, we have called in at least 10 players who should be competitive. We also have players like Teibert and James, who are not seeing many minutes (or are clubless), who have already shown flashes of quality here and there.

Also, the USA squad is pretty solid but they also have a few players that raise some eyebrows. Connor Lade for example has been noted as a weak link for the NYRB backline last season and many US supports were confused at his selection. Alfredo Morales, although he is with Hertha Berlin in the Bundesliga 2, is very much a fringe player who doesn't get many minutes. Even Alejandro Bedoya (formerly a squad player at Rangers) is out of contract from Helsingborg. Furthermore, Mix Diskerud, who does well by all accounts at club level, was part of the USA U-23 team that fell to a Canadian side that fielded the likes of Philippe Davies, Matt Stinson, Even James, Kyle Bekker etc...

I would be surprised if we won down in Houston, but having a closer look at who as called for both sides, I don't fear that we are going to be demolished.

Ledgerwood a starter in MLS? DeRo is better than Wondo? Ricketts a starter in MLS? Really?

Lade is in camp for a look and not a projected starter. Same with Morales. Bedoya chose a short term contract at Helsingborgs and looking to move to a new club. I'd love to have a player of Bedoya's quality play for Canada. Diskerud played for US U23 team that underperformed against Canada. So what.

Keep in mind that USMNT players have been in camp since 7 Jan. They've had a lot of time to build team chemistry

Ledgerwood a starter in MLS? DeRo is better than Wondo? Ricketts a starter in MLS? Really?

Lade is in camp for a look and not a projected starter. Same with Morales. Bedoya chose a short term contract at Helsingborgs and looking to move to a new club. I'd love to have a player of Bedoya's quality play for Canada. Diskerud played for US U23 team that underperformed against Canada. So what.

Keep in mind that USMNT players have been in camp since 7 Jan. They've had a lot of time to build team chemistry

Where to start...

Okay, Rickett's would surely be a starter for one of the bottom teams (like TFC) and probably the mid table teams as well. If you doubt that look at some of the starters at those clubs. Even Chad Barrett was a starter at Chicago Fire and TFC, yet with Valerenga he had half a season and only made 5 appearances with 0 goals (Meanwhile Rickett's managed 1 goal in 3 appearances and was only cleared to play the last few games of the season). Only at the big clubs like LAG or Sounders would Rickett's come off the bench, and even then he would get good minutes. I think he can cause DeLaGarza and Beltran problems with his pace...

Is DeRo better than Wondo? Yes. That one is simple. Wondo is a good finisher that is his bread and butter. Outside of that he doesn't really create much for himself or his team. Ironically he has 0 goals in 8 appearances for the USMNT... A better debate would be who is more dangerous between Zusi/Davis and DeRo....and I would rather have to defend against Zusi or Davis to be honest. DeRosario can be unpredictable (in a good way).

Ledgerwood a starter in MLS? Yeah probably. If you compare him to Dunfield, who was been an occasional starter with Toronto and Vancouver, I don't know how you can think Ledgerwood wouldn't get starting minutes at quite a few MLS clubs...

Regarding Bedoya and Diskerud...yeah both would arguabley starters for us...but that doesn't mean they are clearly above what we are going field in Houston. I have watched both play and neither particularly worries me. Dunfield and Ledgerwood have held their own against players of similar quality. Again, I can see those players causing us problems but they are not Donavan or Dempsey, and we have players (DeRosario, Ricketts) who can cause them trouble as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see Teibert and Bekker have an impact as well.

De Ro is a completely different player, at his peak he was more valuable overall but Wondo's far more important going into 2013. De Ro still "has it" but he's declined as a footballer a little bit, it's only natural.

I disagree that DeRo has declined as a footballer, in fact I'd say that these past 2-3 seasons have been the best football he's played but we'll see how he returns from this injury.

I disagree that DeRo has declined as a footballer, in fact I'd say that these past 2-3 seasons have been the best football he's played but we'll see how he returns from this injury.

+1

There is no evidence to suggest DeRo is in a decline. Even with his injury cutting his season short 10 games, he was still in the top 5 in assists IIRC (if not surely the top ten), and for most of the season he was the league assist leader. He also was a double digit scorer this season as well (yet again).

Some good opinions and debate, I tend to think we over rate the Americans and don't give ourselves enough credit sometimes! Of course it's easy to feel a little inferior to almost anyone after our last debacle but we have to move on and that time is now! After reading all of the US hype leading up to the Olympic Qualifying match with them I was wondering whether we had a chance and look what happened! I posted earlier in the thread about Kurt Larsen, an American who writes for the Sun questioning whether the US will one up Honduras and score 9 against us after the roster was announced, here's hoping he's dead wrong and we are competetive! I think we will be and look forward to these matches!

I agree with this observation regarding the Americans. I too have noticed that sometimes we buy into the US hype. It is not uncommon for the American stars in MLS to be overrated. I guess I can understand since it is an American league and they want to showcase American talent, but there have been many All-star games in the past where I have found myself saying "he wouldn't have been selected if he was not American". Any one else ever feel like this or is it just me?

One example off the top of my head (although he was never selected for an All-star game to my knowledge) is the consistent clamoring for the USMNT to call in George John. I just don't see what is so good about this guy. Another one was Tim Ream. Yeah he is good on the ball (similar to Jakovic) but he was often a liability defending and it is no wonder he is glued to the bench at Bolton in the Championship. Yet another one is Bunbury. He is decent but again, I don't think the hype is warranted. It is funny how all these "big name" up and coming American's get training stints in Europe during the offseason, and then of course it creates the perception that these guys are the real deal. I often wonder if someone higher up is pulling the strings when it comes to these things. Of course, some are genuine (like Najar and Anderlect), but others make you scratch your head.

@ Standard: I guess we will have to agree to disagree about Ricketts. He frusturates me with his poor first touch alot of the time, but he does have 5 goals in 18 matches for Canada which is not a bad strike rate. Furthermore, he is very direct and has genuine pace. Pretty much sounds like a striker who would have success in MLS.

Ricketts would start for TFC at RW, and probably at Chivas but not a lot of MLS clubs. Don't rate the guy.

I don't rate him as a CMNT starter, I think he'll be better for us in the future as a super sub but Ricketts would be a great MLS player, I'd love to see it while he still has wheels.

Archived