Canada MNT Names Young Squad for January Camp

David C.

No Cavallini, no Piette, no Bernier, no Occean, no Simpson, no Johnson, no Jackson... These guys are not too old not to be called up.

Some of these callups we have no idea who they are, others don't even have a club.

Prepare to be raped.

I think Bernier is indeed to old to play a useful role in a meaningful game (ie: at least two years down the line) for Canada.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can anyone remind me who Simon Thomas is? (Other than an unattached keeper who we have called in). Where has he played before?

Overall I don't mind the mix of youth & a few veterans, but I can't see us scoring too many goals.

He was with Vancouver and spent some time in the Huddersfield Town system.

Assuming we're still playing the 4-3-3:

--------Hirschfeld-------

Legerwood-Jakovic-Attakora-Morgan

----Dunfield-----Bekker-----

---------DeRosario-----------

----Porter---------Teibert-----

---------Ricketts----------

That's kind of fun. Backline could be leaky though.

Why would you play Hirschfeld?

Lets play 1 of our young keepers, we already know what Lars can do in the net.

I'd like to see this:

Fresenga-Jakovic-Henry-Morgan

----Ledgerwood-----Bekker-----

----Ricketts---------Teibert-----

---------Jonke----------

With subs:

1. Stillo for Hirschfeld

2. Nana for Henry

3. Trafford for Jakovic

4. Gomez for Ricketts

5. Porter for Jonke

6. Stinson for Fresenga (with Ledgerwood moving to RB)

-------------Stillo------------------

Fresenga-Henry-Attakora-Morgan

------Ledgerwood-Jakovic---------

---------DeRosario-----------------

--------Davies-Teibert-------------

-------------Ricketts------------------

If we call young players then lets give them chance to play!!!

Some names I would have like to have seen, but no complaints about anyone.

And contrary to what others have said, Dunfield is a great call-up, he deserves it. And from what I've heard he is a super nice-dude,

so a good guy to have around all the young guys, to keep things chill.

Really disappointed to see Johnson left off.. WTF

Miller responds about Johnson, from RNO :

“Will is someone that I would have loved to have come in to the group, but, like some other players, he has just arrived at a new club and wants to get off to a good start with Portland. There are no problems with Will in any shape or form. We just thought it would be best to give him a chance to get off to a good start with Portland. Will is definitely a player who is entrenched in our national team program and he has not been left out for any other reason than the fact that he has just gone to a new club.”

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2012/MillerannouncesnationalteamrosterforJanuary.aspx

“Will is someone that I would have loved to have come in to the group, but, like some other players, he has just arrived at a new club and wants to get off to a good start with Portland. There are no problems with Will in any shape or form. We just thought it would be best to give him a chance to get off to a good start with Portland. Will is definitely a player who is entrenched in our national team program and he has not been left out for any other reason than the fact that he has just gone to a new club.”

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2012/MillerannouncesnationalteamrosterforJanuary.aspx

I think that reasoning is brutal, the guy is a proven MLS starter I don't think being away for two international matches is going to hurt with the season so far away.

Good to hear I guess. Gets to spend more time with his girl and young kid. Although I am rather partial to Keegan's reasoning:

I think that reasoning is brutal, the guy is a proven MLS starter I don't think being away for two international matches is going to hurt with the season so far away.

Can anyone remind me who Simon Thomas is? (Other than an unattached keeper who we have called in). Where has he played before?

You've gotten an answer to your question, but I will say that I watched him train and play with the Residency a bit and I always liked him as a keeper. I'm no expert on the position, of course, but I hope he wins the Whitecaps 3GK job. I can't think of anybody I'd rather have.

IIRC, weren't Josh Simpson and Adrian Serioux basically "discovered" by Millwall (vs CMNT in 2004) in a pre season tournament in Vancouver. There's always a chance.

You are correct, it was a 3 team tournament with Hearts, Millwall and Canada B!

Im pretty happy with this roster. Youth is what we needed to bring in and we have done that. I think we should be giving as many players a chance in the MNT as we can in the next couple of years before we start to reform our full roster. No one from the last WCQ cycle should be a lock. Positions need to be earned.

There are a few players I too would have liked to see, but we seem to have explanations for most of the absentees which is really nice. So we also know the CSA has the ambition to call the right people.

Is it a safe bet to say that based on who is not here we can begin to speculate that the Qatar camp could be very promising if the absentees are all called?

The list so far: Cavalini, Randi Edwini-Bonsu, Chechinski, Alderson, Piette, Sodade, Aleman, (who am I missing?).

Im pretty happy with this roster. Youth is what we needed to bring in and we have done that. I think we should be giving as many players a chance in the MNT as we can in the next couple of years before we start to reform our full roster. No one from the last WCQ cycle should be a lock. Positions need to be earned.

There are a few players I too would have liked to see, but we seem to have explanations for most of the absentees which is really nice. So we also know the CSA has the ambition to call the right people.

Is it a safe bet to say that based on who is not here we can begin to speculate that the Qatar camp could be very promising if the absentees are all called?

The list so far: Cavalini, Randi Edwini-Bonsu, Chechinski, Alderson, Piette, Sodade, Aleman, (who am I missing?).

I suspect March call up is more for Europe based players

Archived