Canada MNT Names Young Squad for January Camp

David C.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thoughts on JBB:

I don't like that we are calling a guy who was out of contract from a B3 team, but he is still only 24 and in the matches I have seen him in (Ukraine match...maybe another) he has preformed well. This is a good chance for some MLS clubs to have a look, and if he does well he could earn a trial. To be honest, I am surprise he hasn't at least had a trial with the Impact yet.

No Cavallini, no Piette, no Bernier, no Occean, no Simpson, no Johnson... These guys are not too old not to be called up.

Some of these callups we have no idea who they are, others don't even have a club.

Prepare to be raped.

Here's hoping the CSA does their work in the lead up and the US and Denmark are on the same page as us ... I don't think they should give us an easy game but putting our youngsters against their 'A' team might not have a lot of benefit for either side.

This is not on a FIFA break, correct? That should mean that the Danes at least will not be stocked with their strongest players who likely wouldn't be released by their clubs.

These January camps are normally used to get our out-of-season and unattached players in for a look-see (and I think that's great). The big difference this year, is the high level of opponents. Denmark and the US would have been much better suited to play our full A-squad, not this group.

Why would Welshmen get the call? Would of called up Clarke though.

The thing is, Welshman is expected to contribute right away at TFC, and while that is not a certainty he will pan out, I like to think that he can get good minutes at a TFC side lacking up front. I wouldn't be surprised if he made around 15 to 20 appearances this season. This camp would of been good for him but I guess the CSA feel he is too unproven right now, and I can live with that.

Disappointed about Clarke. Alderson and Henry were called so I don't know if we can use the U-20's as an excuse or not. Like other I am interested in what Jonke can do.

Edit: Alderson is not on the list, that must have been a rumor for before? In that case perhaps they were not calling U-20's with the exception of Henry because he is further along in development and is needed right now at the CMNT

As the old saying goes out with the old, in with the nucleus.

Love trying out all these kids. Considering its the first came since the disaster why not try a crazy experimental lineup, this is basically an extended try out until the next world cup cycle.

A fascinating and exciting squad. There are always going to be guys we all want to see - Piette, Cavallini etc....but it's a non-international and who knows what is happening in their lives. Flu, injury, contract concerns, etc.

Calling Jonke instead of Clarke is a bit odd, to me.

Sodade also confirmed on twitter he was invited but he hasn't recovered fully from his injury yet. My guess is Henry is expected to be in our first team, so surely the reason he was called. He needs as much experience as possible.

Are people really worried about getting spanked in a friendly game with young players after losing a world cup qualifier 8-1?

Kurt Larson from the Sun just tweeted. "will the US one up Honduras and score 9?" I think it's a great opportunity to have a look at some players and start building for the Gold Cup and future WCQ, who knows, this squad may surprise a few people!

And so the rebuild begins. Great to see some youth getting the chance to show their stuff. TFC well represented. Hoping Stinson, now that he is finally injury free, can show the form he had when he first broke into the mls. Hmmmm.... no JDG?

JDG is off trying to get a contract in Europe ...

The thing is, Welshman is expected to contribute right away at TFC, and while that is not a certainty he will pan out, I like to think that he can get good minutes at a TFC side lacking up front. I wouldn't be surprised if he made around 15 to 20 appearances this season. This camp would of been good for him but I guess the CSA feel he is too unproven right now, and I can live with that.

I've actually read the opposite regarding Welshman. He's still a work in progress, but his ceiling is high. Not surprised that he wasn't called.

I would've liked Johnson there for a little bit of leadership, but other than that I'm happy.

I've actually read the opposite regarding Welshman. He's still a work in progress, but his ceiling is high. Not surprised that he wasn't called.

I would've liked Johnson there for a little bit of leadership, but other than that I'm happy.

+1 with regards to Johnson ... we need some established players there to help the youngsters along and who better than Will!

I find Dunfield to be a bit of a strange call up. Probably too old to be around for next WCQ and also not that great of a player. We do need to have a few veterans on hand but he would not have been one that I would have chosen. Of course maybe some more logical midfield players like Bernier or Johnson were not available or interested.

Are people really worried about getting spanked in a friendly game with young players after losing a world cup qualifier 8-1?

Not a matter of getting spanked but rather doing something productive with this camp and the CSA showing they know how to run a national team program. If they throw out an inexperienced roster that struggles excessively it's detrimental in so many ways. It's not a favorable impression for anyone or a good experience.

That being said, this roster isn't too bad. There are at least a few old faces sticking around who can carry the weight.

Archived