Contributions to MNT by our Academies

tmcmurph

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Added the players from the Columbia game on October 14th, 2014. Two new players join the cap-tied list. Congrats and thanks to Jordan Hamilton and Manuel Aparicio.

Let me know if I missed anyone.

You can't be cap tied in a friendly, especially because Columbia isn't a FIFA nation.

Check the thread chief, wasn't me that spelt it wrong... and now that we're getting pedantic, unless you're American it's usually "spelt" not "spelled".

You're right.  Apologies.  TRM spelt/spelled it wrong.  You missed the joke, though, which was really my point.  Sorry if I touched a nerve.  Just trying to have fun.  Thought that's why we were here.  Wasn't meant to be pedantic.

You're right.  Apologies.  TRM spelt/spelled it wrong.  You missed the joke, though, which was really my point.  Sorry if I touched a nerve.  Just trying to have fun.  Thought that's why we were here.  Wasn't meant to be pedantic.

I know... was just getting cheeky for the fun of it as well... all good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just think, sigma had 2 players in the starting eleven of the national team. What if we had a few more sigmas? Good coaching goes a long way.

Sigma is really impressive.  Bekker, James, Larin are very impressive names to come out of there in the past few years but just wait until more parents see the success and start putting their young prodigies in their care.  

If Sigma team up with the incoming Hamilton franchise as rumoured that would be great all around for Canada.  

Interesting to note that Larin is listed as being with Sigma FC for 7 years (2007–2014), James for 3 (2009–2012) and Bekker for 2 (2007–2009). So the longer Sigma FC trains you the better you become! It makes me very curious who else they have in the pipeline.

That's strange, Bekker was at Ajax during the 2008-09 season.

I'm going by Wikipedia (weak source I acknowledge but mostly accurate for this stuff) and it had the following:

"In 2007, he also played with Sigma FC, where in March of that year, his team played eight matches in the Netherlands against professional youth academies. His time over there earned him a trial with Ajax's youth academy, which ended up lasting six weeks until his inability to receive a European work permit led to his return to Canada"

So a 6 week trial or one week trial and 5 weeks training until paperwork couldn't come through. A valuable 6 weeks for his development no doubt but only 6 weeks.

^

With regards to Larin - he was part of the age group to run through a full "academy" cycle with Sigma. Everyone before that (i.e. Bekker) started I think at 14 instead of 11. So Sigma only had Bekker for half his development cycle. Re Ajax, I'm only speculating but Sigma have a very close relationship with Ajax - their Technical Director (Sigma) used to be involved with the youth set up at Olympiacos in Greece and that club has a close relationship with Ajax. So that might be the connection with him going there. 

I've noted in a few other threads and we know the names - Nanco, Hallis and Laryea are the names to watch now who are in the NCAA. But they also have a couple guys in USL Pro (Frano, Ranjitsingh) who could turn out.

They sent another handful to the NCAA for this season, but I would be watching the years coming up as they have some kids who look the part and technically advanced.

Re more academies like Sigma - let's not forget Vaughan Azzuri sent five kids to top NCAA schools and Masters and ANB are both very good as well. That's just here in GTA, if we're honest there are Sigmas all over Canada we just don't hear about them.

I think the main difference in player development is that academies like that used to be the only options in Canada.  Which meant once you hit a certain age, you were basically done.  With PDL, USL, NASL, MLS, there are more paths for developments, and it doesn't have to stop at age 23 or leave the country anymore either.   As a result we have more players still playing at age 20+ than ever before.  

Eventually that's going to pay off, even in younger youth development, where kids are asked to choose their sport in their early teen years and focus on one or two sports more consistently.

I'm going by Wikipedia (weak source I acknowledge but mostly accurate for this stuff) and it had the following:

"In 2007, he also played with Sigma FC, where in March of that year, his team played eight matches in the Netherlands against professional youth academies. His time over there earned him a trial with Ajax's youth academy, which ended up lasting six weeks until his inability to receive a European work permit led to his return to Canada"

So a 6 week trial or one week trial and 5 weeks training until paperwork couldn't come through. A valuable 6 weeks for his development no doubt but only 6 weeks.

I had Kyle Bekker listed on the MOACA for an entire season based on this post by SCF08:

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/index.php?/topic/13030-another-canadian-signs-in-holland/

which was based off this info.:

http://www.ajaxshowtime.com/article/hoofdnieuws/13924/canadees-kyle-bekker-toch-niet-naar-ajax.html

Which apparently according to numerous sources i now find out to be incorrect. Well, goes to show even the best sources don't always know.

I think one part of Bekker's path with Sigma that's a bit confusing is to remember when Sigma started it was essentially just doing camps and playing in tournaments. Now they are set up like an academy of a pro club where they have age groups from 11-17, have a team in L10, etc … just still don't have the Pro club at the very top. At the start, it was just two groups - the 11 year olds (Larin) and I think 14/15 (Bekker). They also thought with their connections in Europe their model was going to be developing players and sending them directly abroad. However, that proved to be difficult and MLS via NCAA became more realistic. I don't know the exact story on Bekker but would imagine it falls in there somewhere that he was getting chances abroad through those connections (one of the first things Sigma was doing is ID camps for Ajax) but the most realistic path to being a pro was via NCAA and why he ended up at Boston College.

Archived