Contributions to MNT by our Academies

tmcmurph

How long was Aleman with TFC's academy? Would he not qualify for this list?

Correct you are. He is listed as "2010–2011 TFC Academy". I was assuming he was "Spain trained" (doesn't that sound cool) but I'll add him. I'm sure we will see lots more from him in the future especially now that we have a coach who will focus on players with technical skills instead of just athletes.

Thanks for reminding me.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny, just now reading Valladolid supporter blogs and webs on Alemán, talking to his coaches, and they say he is anarchical and dribbles too much, makes poor decisions on the pitch, and that they have to work on getting rid of bad habits picked up while not being able to develop properly in Canada. Sorry, that is what they say, but also admire his drive and tenacity, and the fact that he can score.

So are tenacity and hunger for the goal things he did learn at TFC Academy and before?

...have to work on getting rid of bad habits picked up while not being able to develop properly in Canada. Sorry, that is what they say...

No need to apologise, man. I think that's what most of us figure, and it's great if that's getting recognised and fixed.

Funny, just now reading Valladolid supporter blogs and webs on Alemán, talking to his coaches, and they say he is anarchical and dribbles too much, makes poor decisions on the pitch, and that they have to work on getting rid of bad habits picked up while not being able to develop properly in Canada. Sorry, that is what they say, but also admire his drive and tenacity, and the fact that he can score.

So are tenacity and hunger for the goal things he did learn at TFC Academy and before?

This goal basically sums up this analysis, good and bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAjiHkb523k

He may have been at TFCA in 2009 but Wikipedia is the source I use for better or worse. In either case he got a "good/bad" start there so he qualifies. Funny how things valued in Canadian soccer are less than valued in Spain. Too funny.

He may have been at TFCA in 2009 but Wikipedia is the source I use for better or worse. In either case he got a "good/bad" start there so he qualifies. Funny how things valued in Canadian soccer are less than valued in Spain. Too funny.

I read this here, good article in SP from a Valladolid supporters blog. Will try to translate some fragments later on, no time right now.

http://www.blanquivioletas.com/wp/2013/07/02/un-blanquivioleta-en-la-copa-de-oro/

I read this here, good article in SP from a Valladolid supporters blog. Will try to translate some fragments later on, no time right now.

http://www.blanquivioletas.com/wp/2013/07/02/un-blanquivioleta-en-la-copa-de-oro/

Google translate did a basic job but this line jumped out at me "However, until a few months ago did not receive a single call Costa Rica, ". Their loss and our gain.

He should be a lot easier to track now. Looking forward to it, actually...

Yes, their website provides almost as much info. on their B team as it does for their A team.

Real Valladolid B play in the Tercera division which is the 4th tier of the Spanish pyramid. There are 18 groups at this level so it is very watered down. I was able to watch about 20 minutes of a Spanish Tercera match a few years ago in the Dominican and it was not what you might think. At least one of the teams was playing long ball and the game was surprisingly physical. Anyways, good luck to Keven and hopefully he can excel at this level and get a call-up to the A team sooner than later.

Unnamed Trialist made this very point to us on the ride down to Seattle. I was also surprised to hear this.

Yeah, funny, why would anyone think Spanish fourth tier was technical snappy passing controlled attack tiki-taka?

Actually from what I have seen, you get very technical control football in youth teams, when that club or academy requires it. Then the top teams, like a Valladolid u-19 (three years of post u-16) will try to play it always or almost always, since they have signed players that are technically better than most rivals, have no fear of losing, and really do want to develop their kids. The rest of the rivals will try to play fast and direct and physical, modest youth sides competing with the bigger clubs do so with athletic kids who are also good players but may never make top flight.

Then, as soon as they shift to full adult pro or semi-pro (a lot of Spanish 4th tier now is semi-pro as the budgets have been torn to shreds), they are thrown into very physical football, fast, aggressive, and a surprising amount of high balls, not too far from classic old-style northern European. In some ways there is no excuse as field turf means you could play on the ground, but they are full of your journeyman guy who is badass and has experience. Exceptions here, however, are the C or B teams of the high level pro clubs. They have to play a bit hard to not relegate or get results (Valladolid B last year just missed the promotion playoffs for third tier), they may even sign slightly older players, u-23s, to bolster some of that, but for sure Alemán's team this year will be striving to promote to 2B, third tier, while not losing some of the technique needed for player development.

As jpg75 says, there are divisions for every region of Spain in Spanish 3rd division, that is 360 teams or almost 8000 players. We will have one Canadian amongst 8000 next year, meaning hey, a drop in the bucket. To get an idea of level, some might be like good PDL others worse, others better. There was that player for UBC T-Birds varsity a few years back who was a veteran of Europa, a 3rd Div club, I forgot his name, when they lost the CIU finals, and he said the level was not that different. I have had workmates playing at this level, or even coaches of my kid, I must watch 6-10 games a year too as it is cheap and fun.

• 3 months later...
Are you no longer updating this, tmcmurph?

Yes. I had all but the Auzzie game in then the board went down. I'll get that done once I see how far back the restores went. It looks like both games in September will also have to be re-added. Probably give it a go tonight.

There we go. All done and this time I have a backup. Silly me not keeping a copy. Glad they got the restore to a recent point. With the games coming up I'll have some new ones soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived