Colin Miller - Interim Head Coach of Canada

TT5

I think the best part about choosing Miller as interim is that he is so clearly NOT a candidate for the full-time job. If it was a guy like Fonseca or Dasovic who are CSA coaches with no other employment (unlike Miller with his FCE gig) I'd fear that the interim tag would be removed pretty easily. Miller will not be Canada's full-time manager, now or ever.

I think the best part about choosing Miller as interim is that he is so clearly NOT a candidate for the full-time job. If it was a guy like Fonseca or Dasovic who are CSA coaches with no other employment (unlike Miller with his FCE gig) I'd fear that the interim tag would be removed pretty easily. Miller will not be Canada's full-time manager, now or ever.

..... that is, until he's holding aloft the Concacaf champions League trophy, with FCE ribbons on it! ;)

Oh common. This is not good enough. There is a total of 2.6 million soccer players registered in Canada of which 840,000 are adults. Increase the fees by $10.00 each, hire a proper National Manager and put in place a successful program copied from another country that is successful from the grass roots up.

Oh common. This is not good enough. There is a total of 2.6 million soccer players registered in Canada of which 840,000 are adults. Increase the fees by $10.00 each, hire a proper National Manager and put in place a successful program copied from another country that is successful from the grass roots up.

Not sure if the CSA can force the provincial bodies to do it. Also as in politics "Lowering or keeping frozen" Taxes(registrations fees) is more popular than Raising Hell....even when sometimes it is simply needed to sustain the Growth....but it's easier to pass the Hot Potatoe until the next election to another party.

In Colins case he has a World Cup experience as a player, but has not had top table experience as a coach, Kinda why he needs the FCE job to cut his teeth on., rather than been pulled awat at Nats level for too long.

He was player-manager of Hamilton Accies in Scotland at one point, which probably doesn't qualify as "top table experience" but they were a full-time pro team at the time, so it's not all that different from Paul Peschisolido's level of experience in that regard with Burton Albion. From what I remember hearing (they are the team I supported when I was growing up) his time at Accies came to a rather ignominious end after instructions had to be sent down from the directors box to sub him off during a game. Given his subsequent involvement with the national team, Derby County and the Whitecaps he is probably the best qualified within the CSA old boy's coaching network right now but that doesn't mean that "interim" should turn into a full-time gig as happened previously with Stephen Hart.

He was player-manager of Hamilton Accies in Scotland at one point, which probably doesn't qualify as "top table experience" but they were a full-time pro team at the time, so it's not all that different from Paul Peschisolido's level of experience in that regard with Burton Albion. From what I remember hearing (they are the team I supported when I was growing up) his time at Accies came to a rather ignominious end after instructions had to be sent down from the directors box to sub him off during a game. Given his subsequent involvement with the national team, Derby County and the Whitecaps he is probably the best qualified within the CSA old boy's coaching network right now but that doesn't mean that "interim" should turn into a full-time gig as happened previously with Stephen Hart.

Jeeze! don't big him up too much! We want to keep him at the Eddies for more than the tme it takes to negotiate the coffee machine in the YEG internatial airport departure Lounge!

Not sure if the CSA can force the provincial bodies to do it. Also as in politics "Lowering or keeping frozen" Taxes(registrations fees) is more popular than Raising Hell....even when sometimes it is simply needed to sustain the Growth....but it's easier to pass the Hot Potatoe until the next election to another party.

Tennis Canada did it back in the early 2000's and we now for the first time have a mens player ranked for the first time at #13 MILOS RAONIC in the World and the top Junior Boys player in the world FILIP PELIWO.

That is a lame reason for not to take advantage of an opportunity to better the Soccer Program in this country. If it means that Canada is successful then it will have been well worth it. More money into programs works as was evident at the Winter Olympics in 2010. Yes Canada set the record for the most Golds in the Winter Olympics and the main reason for it was funding, like other countries have done.

^ Team GB attributed their success at the London Olympics to the increased funding they received over the past 4-5 years too. As long as the extra money was spent on coaching and training then, i agree, it would be worth it.

Not to confuse People, but you are refering to all the other parts of Team GB that were not the Football, right?

Not to confuse People, but you are refering to all the other parts of Team GB that were not the Football, right?

I'll never forget the GB Women's wall parting like a Red Sea for Christine Sinclair's free kick that resulted in one of her six goals. Just one of the million reasons I get so excited over girl's soccer.

Edited by Robert

I'll never forget the GB Women's wall parting like a Red Sea for Christine Sinclair's free kick that resulted in one of her six goals. Just one of the million reasons I get so excited over girl's soccer.

You do know that On any other Forum, (perticulary english ones) comments like that could get you into trouble;)

i think another way is to go back to marketing again... the csa needs to promote players - make them popular by associating them with brands like umbro, adidas, nike etc as well as other products - gatorade, dole, kia etc... we need up and coming heroes for kids to aspire to be. and will by products and help support canadian soccer at every level. esso with gas stations - collector mini soccer balls... mcdonald's and soccer player cards... it's about creating a brand/culture. and people will buy into it and help support the csa at the same time. it will also create awareness which they desperately need!

by creating a brand, everything will fall into place. money wil be raised through coroprate partnerships. better people will be hired. we will have more money to play, hire the right staff, have the right equipment... as sad as this all sounds it's very true. it doesn't seem like too many people agree with me here but this is what it will take. we need to build a brand!

i wish i could take on a job within the csa to help get this going. if interested - please contact me! :)

You do know that On any other Forum, (perticulary english ones) comments like that could get you into trouble
You do realize this is a Canadian forum :) and for the first and only time I'll agree with Robert...parted like the Red Sea. Especially enjoyable after hearing the commentator say Canada wasn't supposed to win. Personally I lost all respect and affection for UK with one word...turbot.

I'm refering to the insane Hyberbole associated with everything peadophillic such as watching girls doing anything in the UK media.

One of the many reason for upping sticks and getting out of there!

As for the English comentary in the Olympic soccer? Surely by now you must know that the majority of them are Idiots? the Brits were playing well in the tournament but were hardly going to Medal.

Not sure why the UK and Irelands support for Canada over turbot would make you negative towards them. But I suppose I'm light on the finer details of the episode?

Still, got you to agree with Robert.... Now theres a SHOCKER!:)

I'm refering to the insane Hyberbole associated with everything peadophillic such as watching girls doing anything in the UK media.
I thought that was just Simon Cowell :). I wonder if he's related to Elizabeth Cowell, she was smokin' in the 30s.

As for the English comentary in the Olympic soccer? Surely by now you must know that the majority of them are Idiots? the Brits were playing well in the tournament but were hardly going to Medal.
Point taken, but I had to watch the BBC during the Olympics, can't remember why I missed the Canadian broadcasts but I thought Guy Mowbray did a great job. The other hosts/commentators were homers but that's to be expected. I believe it was Lucy Ward who said Canada was not expected to win but she may have meant that from the local support not the actual skill/talent/history of either team.

I gotta give Guy Mowbray props because he outed that Norwegian referee three times before the final infamy. The first was when he said she likely wouldn't get another game when at the start of the second half she didn't notice an extra South African on the field. He made more comments during the USA game.

GB beat Brazil but is it just me, aside from Marta, they are wayyyy overrated.

Does anybody offhand recall if the CWNT games are torrented here. I'm sure they must be, I need to find them. Edit found this Canadian Olympic soccer match video [no R] but looking for Canadian audio commentary of all the games

Oh yeah, Colin Miller - Interim Head Coach of Canada. Good choice.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/01/08/canada-coach-miller-interim-role-im-not-babysitter

Colin Miller: I'm not a babysitter.

Says he's in just for the 2 games and will go back to Edmonton

This two game comment in the interview worries me. If Miller is only here for January, what does that say about the CSA's promise to play on "every" international date? I'm really happy with the 2 game extended camp in January, but if the CSA is truly committed to starting to turn around this entire program I fully expect them to arrange a game for the February match day(s) as well as those in any month where there is a date to be filled. Playing two games in January and having one of them 'count or being as good as' playing a game in February is not good enough.