Kyle Bekker signs MLS contract

passtheball

Obviously we are very pleased to announce that Kyle has signed a MLS contract ahead of the combine and the SuperDraft. Here's a nice story by Neil Davidson of The Canadian Press.

I've been told that this means there is significant interest from enough clubs for the league to make this overture, so it bodes well for him being drafted fairly highly, of course, there is no guarantee. For now, everyone at Sigma is very happy for Kyle.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2013/01/06/cdn_bekker_signs_mls_contract_team_tbd/

The five-foot-10 165-pounder, who played for the Canadian Olympic team in 2012, has been summoned by the Canadian national team for January friendlies with Denmark and the U.S.

Wow, good for him! Does anyone know who else has been called up? My hope was that they would start the rebuild now, cast the net wide, and bring in younger, hungrier, players for this camp... If Bekker is getting a call before ever playing a pro game, some might argue that's a bit much, but I think it's exactly where we need to be at right now.

This is very good news for everyone. I wonder which team is showing the most interest. I don't think he's a candidate for TFC's spots but maybe Montreal or Vancouver

I don't see him having a blink with Vancouver or Mtl. Why not a crap US squad where he might get some minutes? We probably have as many players in Finland playing pro as we do within our gigantic neighbour to the south, the one who hosts the league in which our three "best" clubs play. Let's get a few more players there, please.

He looks like he would be best in a play maker role in the middle of the pitch. I don't know if he could or would want to adapt to a wing role. The competition in the Caps is pretty much as follows:

DM - Gersh, AM - Robson, LM - Salgado, RM - Camilo/Watson.

While he has had more experience and is a bit older than some of the other young players coming up it was only NCAA level whereas Teibert has played at the MLS level.

One thing I am curious about. When it says "signed an MLS contract" what does that mean? I know the league owns all the player contracts but did the league guarantee a certain salary or if he gets drafted does the team that signs him get to offer him less?

One thing I am curious about. When it says "signed an MLS contract" what does that mean? I know the league owns all the player contracts but did the league guarantee a certain salary or if he gets drafted does the team that signs him get to offer him less?

I would like to know that as well. I always knew and understood that the league owns all the contracts. But i always assumed that it was the individual clubs that decide what they want to pay someone and whether they want to keep that player or not.

He looks like he would be best in a play maker role in the middle of the pitch. I don't know if he could or would want to adapt to a wing role. The competition in the Caps is pretty much as follows:

DM - Gersh, AM - Robson, LM - Salgado, RM - Camilo/Watson.

While he has had more experience and is a bit older than some of the other young players coming up it was only NCAA level whereas Teibert has played at the MLS level.

Robson is not an AM, he played there out of necessity last year, but don’t expect him to play there this year. Salgado and Camilo are not midfielders and haven’t played a minute in those positions. Watson is also a CM although in a straight 4-4-2 he could play the right if needed, but the caps don’t play a straight 4-4-2.

His competition in the middle would be Gersh, Robson, Watson, Davidson, & Alderson. You can bet your bottom dollar that they will bring in a true AM to run the show in the middle and chances are they will sign Lensky (I know, I know). If they draft Bekker all of a sudden it becomes a very crowded mid (8 guys) with only 3 spots available.

Wonder what happened to him. Ajax offered him a contract 5 years ago but didn't want to finalise the contract as Bekker couldn't get a EU passport quick enough (he has Dutch parents). Non EU players are a lot more expensive in the Eredivisie.

Robson is not an AM, he played there out of necessity last year, but don’t expect him to play there this year. Salgado and Camilo are not midfielders and haven’t played a minute in those positions. Watson is also a CM although in a straight 4-4-2 he could play the right if needed, but the caps don’t play a straight 4-4-2.

His competition in the middle would be Gersh, Robson, Watson, Davidson, & Alderson. You can bet your bottom dollar that they will bring in a true AM to run the show in the middle and chances are they will sign Lensky (I know, I know). If they draft Bekker all of a sudden it becomes a very crowded mid (8 guys) with only 3 spots available.

Salgado pretty much owned the left mid until he was injured. I know Robson isn't a true AM but you can bet he will get all the starts somewhere. Gersh at DM is better than any of the others. So he would be competing with Watson, Camilo and do the play making mid role we've missed since DC left. Where will they play Robson? Left? Bench the 2 Scots and you have room for a few formations but we both know that isn't going to happen.

Salgado pretty much owned the left mid until he was injured. I know Robson isn't a true AM but you can bet he will get all the starts somewhere. Gersh at DM is better than any of the others. So he would be competing with Watson, Camilo and do the play making mid role we've missed since DC left. Where will they play Robson? Left? Bench the 2 Scots and you have room for a few formations but we both know that isn't going to happen.

Salgado owned the left wing of a 4-3-3 until he was injured, not LM. Wide midfielders are not the same as wingers/forwards. Some players can play both, but Salgado and Camilo are prime example of players that can play the winger/forward position, but wouldnt do very well as midfielders. Dane Richards is another.

He wouldnt compete with Camilo for the playmaking role, Camilo is a striker who can fill in at left wing/forward, not a midfielder. Robson will play in the middle, so will Koffie. At the moment Davidson is our only true DM, but Rochat got a handful of games there at the end of the season. There is no left and right mids in Rennie's preferred system.

If VWFC draft Bekker, I would have to wonder what they are going to do with Alderson, because Bryce is the EXACT, and i mean EXACT same player as Kyle.

So if they do, I would think that its just for the quota...you know the MTL Evan James signing.

If VWFC draft Bekker, I would have to wonder what they are going to do with Alderson, because Bryce is the EXACT, and i mean EXACT same player as Kyle.

So if they do, I would think that its just for the quota...you know the MTL Evan James signing.

Really? I always thought Bekker was more of an attacking midfielder but I'm not an expert. In any case, Alderson is younger than Bekker, they certainly think highly of him (and have recently added a training program for Alderson and other prospects in his sort of pool), and the Whitecaps are one over the quota as it is so they don't need to draft for it (they're highly unlikely to get rid of two of Rochat, Alderson, Clarke, and Teibert; frankly I'd be taken aback if they got rid of one).

Really? I always thought Bekker was more of an attacking midfielder but I'm not an expert. In any case, Alderson is younger than Bekker, they certainly think highly of him (and have recently added a training program for Alderson and other prospects in his sort of pool), and the Whitecaps are one over the quota as it is so they don't need to draft for it (they're highly unlikely to get rid of two of Rochat, Alderson, Clarke, and Teibert; frankly I'd be taken aback if they got rid of one).

Bryce turns 19 next month. Who has been playing reserve games, and in training with men day in day out

Kyle turns 23 later this year. Who has been playing College games for 3 months, and training with trialling here and there. You would think Bekker is an attacker because of his set piece specialty.

There both CM with the ability to play CAM/CDM.

IMO, With that small age gap, age is not a factor. The factor is the opportunity, and if I'm Vancouver my moneys on advancing Bryce, there's more of a plus side being that he is HG.

According to a mock draft on the MLS site they have Toronto picking him at 3, another has him going to Vancouver at 5.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2013/news/article/2013/01/10/mlssoccercoms-2013-mock-draft-pre-combine-edition

Borg is the first observer to get Drew Beckie on a draft list. Hopefully he goes in the 2nd or 1st round of the supplemental.

Bryce turns 19 next month. Who has been playing reserve games, and in training with men day in day out

Kyle turns 23 later this year. Who has been playing College games for 3 months, and training with trialling here and there. You would think Bekker is an attacker because of his set piece specialty.

There both CM with the ability to play CAM/CDM.

IMO, With that small age gap, age is not a factor. The factor is the opportunity, and if I'm Vancouver my moneys on advancing Bryce, there's more of a plus side being that he is HG.

First, I think at their age 3.5 years is quite a while, particularly when as you so accurately say Alderson will hopefully be spending those three and a half years in a professional national-class training environment while Bekker spent them part-time with amateurs. Second, I've never heard Alderson described as or seem him used as an attacking anything, while Bekker is being mused as a guy who can play the wing or as an AM. When Alderson plays with the Reserves and Residency he's generally in that CDM role, sometimes going box-to-box depending on who's playing, because while he has good positioning instincts, nice defensive ability, and good straight-forward playmaking abilities, he also isn't a shooter and is weak with his right foot.

According to a mock draft on the MLS site they have Toronto picking him at 3, another has him going to Vancouver at 5.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/superdraft/2013/news/article/2013/01/10/mlssoccercoms-2013-mock-draft-pre-combine-edition

I don't see Bekker or Welshman going to a Canadian team in the first round. All three teams can wait until the second round to grab them as there is a disincentive for the other teams to draft them because they're internationals (even though Welshman was with the Timbers in the past, he doesn't have domestic status does he?) If they go in the first round, it will be to an American based team, which isn't all that bad.

Archived