National Women's Soccer League (NWSL)

Vic

Interesting armband. Wasn't aware any teams had decided yet before filling out their rosters. Portland has a good logo, although I'm not sure of the tie-in between Portland and thorns. I haven't seen any others but in terms of women's branding, Seattle's is a work of art. Design is in the eye of the beholder but IMHO whoever did that hit it out of the park and onto the street.

SeattleReignFC.png

Finally a shirt girls can wear that say's women's soccer.

Interesting armband. Wasn't aware any teams had decided yet before filling out their rosters. Portland has a good logo, although I'm not sure of the tie-in between Portland and thorns. I haven't seen any others but in terms of women's branding, Seattle's is a work of art. Design is in the eye of the beholder but IMHO whoever did that hit it out of the park and onto the street.

SeattleReignFC.png

Very tolkienesque...Like it a lot.

SeattleReignFC.png

Ok so the first survey was a beta. Issuers were shocked to receive 1,000 responses in 12 hours. That maxed out the cap. I'm told this one will be posted for a week. No cap. Please take a minute to answer the 12 questions. Dude's voices enrich the results. CHIME IN !

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CWMV2W7

Thank you Voyageurs.

Wonder if the Whitecaps decided to leave the W-League in order to get in the NWSL? I understand that Mr. Kerfoot has done a lot not only for Whitecaps Women's soccer but also for the whole Canadian program as a whole. To which all of us are greatfull, but I DO HOPE to dream there will be a Canadian team in the league. They can play at Swangard or maybe Minoru in Richmond.

Giving is receiving...

This statement is true for me, most of the time, but I'm quite sure that not everyone feels this way. There's no ONE way to approach things. I'm disappointed that the Whitecaps ownership CHOSE to rebuff BOTH leagues. 100% disappointed. But I am glad that 8 teams "just entered the league." Women's soccer benefits as a sports property. Citizens benefit. Countries benefit. It's a good thing.

• 1 month later...

Great read.

Sinclair was thisclose to playing in France on a long-term contract: http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/21/christine-sinclair-psg-paris-saint-germain-nwsl-portland-thorns/

“That was back in September, October,” Sinclair explained. “There were rumors of a league forming in the U.S. I had sort of given myself the fall off from the Olympics last year knowing that would have been my last break before World Cup [preparation] and the next Olympic prep starts. So I decided to hold off and hope the league would form here, and I’m so glad I did.”

Great quotes from the Thorn's HC too.

• 7 months later...
Guest ClaytonA

The former GM of the Washington Spirit has a series of articles with suggestions to improve the league.

http://www.soccerwire.com/news/leagues/nwsl/six-big-ideas-for-nwsl-to-improve-no-5-extend-the-season/ There's also links to the other ideas, or go to the web page's title bar under leagues for NWSL.

No. 1 – No Playoffs |

Without playoffs, EVERY game would matter from day one. Being “top of the league” would be a torch each team could carry all week, giving the media a focus and the average fan context.

And no playoffs means six teams play more games than they would otherwise, and that’s more revenue added directly to the bottom line.

No. 2 – League Managed Streaming |

A league-operated streaming channel, with no paid television broadcasts. This is a proposed model for the league to both solve a major quality-control problem AND add a potentially significant revenue stream to each team’s – and the league’s – books. In short: Would you subscribe?

From the comments;

There is an adage in online that 1-2% of the people who watch/read/play something for free will pay you money for it.
. They need to find someone willing to sponsor the ~$120k plus spend on webstreams, can't be a paid subscription.

No. 3 – Give teams more roster options |

Overhaul roster rules, with three key steps: Increase the non-allocated player salary cap to $250,000 from the $200,000 it was in, ...allow third international player spot, and relax trade restrictions.

American players notwithstanding, there are some very strong non-American players who would come play here for $3,500 per month and up. I know, their agents called me all summer!

Let’s put the free market to work by letting the teams trade all players without restrictions, as well as compensate each other to open up more cap space for themselves. Salary, relocation and housing caps should all be on the table along with every player and draft pick.

No. 4 - Reserves and amateur callups |

Lucky for the Spirit, we had just run one of the best amateur teams in the country with D.C. United Women for the past two years, and already had aggressive plans to build a full player development pyramid under the pro team. The ability to stand in front of any potential player -– and their parents — and say “This is the only club you need to play for if you want a direct path to the pros” was a powerful tool in recruiting talent into our youth, U-20 and W-League (pro-am) teams.

Without this structure across the league, NWSL simply told all the clubs they could just call in (not “up”) any U.S.-registered amateur player. There was no caveat that said the player HAD to come from within each clubs’ existing structure.

No. 5 - Extend the season

Any way you look at it, the league should absolutely NOT keep all the above of: 22 games, playoffs, and ending before Sept. 1. This simply puts too many games on the weekdays and misses a great opportunity to get youth players back out to games once their fall soccer teams get back together and families return from summer vacations.

• 2 months later...

Archived