National Women's Soccer League (NWSL)

Vic

Does anyone remember the date the 16 Canadians would be announced? Seemed to remember it was soon.

Mexico have upped their commitment to match Canada's 16.

Seattle have some pretty amazing branding - http://www.facebook.com/ReignFC

Portland Thorns FC (the women's side of the MLS Portland Timbers) announced Cindy Parlow as their inaugural coach. They are http://www.facebook.com/PortlandThornsFC

If anyone watched the documentary Head Games on CBC last week there was a good clip of Parlow and Charmaine Hooper laying each other out going for a ball in the box. You can see it at 1:16 here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzQqEos6LVI. Before the rise of her heir/air apparent named Abby Wambach, Parlow at 5'11" and with broad shoulders was the dominant player on anything floating in the box.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/NWSL

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NWSLsoccer

We should find out tomorrow who the 16 Canadian players are. However, it won't be until mid January until we found out who is going to play for which team. It will be two CanWNT players per squad.

Here's some more information in terms of salary cap and salaries for non-national league selection players:

http://equalizersoccer.com/2012/12/20/nwsl-allocation-details-trickle-in/

Yes, the Americans will be spread out again as in the past. That's the way it started when the leagues began, before they spiralled into red ink or mismanagement.

I also read about the $200,000 cap earlier. As the article say's it works out to about $11,765 per player, excluding the seven nationals per team. It will be interesting to see how much the nationals get from their federations.

More interesting is how it all plays out on the field. The Mexicans are very young and John Herdman has said he is looking to 2015 also. Being a competitive league, the real question is what happens when there are four $11k Americans better in the coaches eye than the Canadians and Mexicans they've been allocated?

The other question is are the federations locked into an iron-clad multi-year deal or are there avenues to rework the number and/or terms annually? Because if I'm Cuéllar or Herdman and it turns out a large number of my players aren't playing, do I have an out to scale back the NWSL commitment and shift some of my players to Europe where they would put in 90 minutes a week.

For example, if a year from now I have eight players getting little time, can I take that money and convert it into 16-24 "scholarships" to entice more players to play overseas? Which is something we should be doing for players in the 17-40 range anyway, many of whom will be borderline cuts from the 16. Investing is balancing your portfolio.

That's fair. But I think the French have something good in having most of their national team playing on the same club team, as well. Having teams that are predominately for each national team would be nice (although the other owners would probably be less than pleased). I wonder how the French do it?

• 3 weeks later...

Canada Players

D Melanie Booth

D Robyn Gayle

M Kaylyn Kyle

GK Karina LeBlanc

M/F Adriana Leon

M Diana Matheson

D/M Bryana McCarthy

GK Erin McLeod

D Carmelina Moscato

M/F Jodi-Ann Robinson

M Sophie Schmidt

M Desiree Scott

D Lauren Sesselmann

F Christine Sinclair

D Rhian Wilkinson

D Emily Zurrer

That's fair. But I think the French have something good in having most of their national team playing on the same club team, as well. Having teams that are predominately for each national team would be nice (although the other owners would probably be less than pleased). I wonder how the French do it?

I would love to see some of our players playing for Olympique Lyonnais Féminin. Christine Sinclair probably doesn't need the help of this new NWSL subsidy. She could have signed there and they'd win the UEFA Women's Champions League again. As of now I think they are probably out of cash considering their news signings.

http://www.lyoncapitale.fr/Journal/univers/Sport/Football/Avec-Rapinoe-et-Ohno-l-OL-feminin-entre-dans-une-autre-dimension

First of all, congratulations to them all. Too bad about Chelsea Stewart, wish her luck in the future. Nice to see Melanie Booth work her way into the 16. The French league took a step forward this year as PSG amped up their signings. I'm not sure how they're doing now but I know they were slow out of the gate for their talent, as was the amateur Juvisy side, and OLY was running away with things early. A good move for the Amiral would be to align with a Division 1 club. They could do a pre-season tour, bring over a coach for a week to train/scout, etc. Juvisy would be a good target.

I would have liked to see Herdmann selecting more of the younger players to go to the NWSL. Young ones would benefit far more from this experience. To me it is an opportunity for development regrettably lost. It would have benefited our national team more than a few camps here or there.

I would have liked to see Herdmann selecting more of the younger players to go to the NWSL. Young ones would benefit far more from this experience. To me it is an opportunity for development regrettably lost. It would have benefited our national team more than a few camps here or there.

The problem is playing time. Unless there's a written league policy (or unwritten but advised) on guaranteed playing time for international allocations, a lot of the younger Mexicans and Canadians will be up against some stiff competition for it.

With Herdman's obvious English connection, what are the chances some of the younger, non-College based players, could find a berth in England?

I'm not sure what the WSL's policies are, but I don't remember very many internationals from outside the UK on the rosters. One part of that would be the money, not sure if there's more to it. But unless their parents were born in the UK (opening the door to the possibility of legally find secondary employment) or they had a skill they could work at and earn income remotely from, their bank account would be in steady decline.

Interesting to note that Mexico designated 4 forwards to the NWSL while Canada only 1.

Good eye. I missed that when I glanced at it earlier. Leon has always played striker for Canada. My recollection of Jodi Ann Robinson was pretty much up front too. Herdman's vision may also be something like the Spanish six midfielders. As the game becomes more technical I'm not sure we have the talent to play 4-3-3 going forward against Top 10 opposition unless we're playing direct. It's just too stressful on the midfielders.

I'm not sure what the WSL's policies are, but I don't remember very many internationals from outside the UK on the rosters. One part of that would be the money, not sure if there's more to it. But unless their parents were born in the UK (opening the door to the possibility of legally find secondary employment) or they had a skill they could work at and earn income remotely from, their bank account would be in steady decline..

Good point. with the WSL is fairly new they may well be a push to develop as much UK based talent as possible first. However, restrictions under the european Work time directive wouldn't let the FA dictate a closed shop, at least not to european players (or maybe those with EU acreditation).

Still, with the current economic climate been as it is back there, finding a second job wouldn't be that easy as finding a first job for the general population is hard enough.

The problem is playing time. Unless there's a written league policy (or unwritten but advised) on guaranteed playing time for international allocations, a lot of the younger Mexicans and Canadians will be up against some stiff competition for it.

I'm not sure what the WSL's policies are, but I don't remember very many internationals from outside the UK on the rosters. One part of that would be the money, not sure if there's more to it. But unless their parents were born in the UK (opening the door to the possibility of legally find secondary employment) or they had a skill they could work at and earn income remotely from, their bank account would be in steady decline.

Good eye. I missed that when I glanced at it earlier. Leon has always played striker for Canada. My recollection of Jodi Ann Robinson was pretty much up front too. Herdman's vision may also be something like the Spanish six midfielders. As the game becomes more technical I'm not sure we have the talent to play 4-3-3 going forward against Top 10 opposition unless we're playing direct. It's just too stressful on the midfielders.

There was a NWSL chat on twitter yesterday that included a few team officials so we can answer a few of the above questtions.

Regarding playing time - It was stated that National Team coaches would have little input.

Foreign Players - Each team limted to 2 internationals (not including allocated national team players). Canadian and Mexican players not included in their respective 16 would count as internationals. Not sure what the policy is in the UK but if the FA is subsidizing their league I would expect only limited foreign players.

Salary Cap - Confirmed as $200K for non allocated National team players. There is a separate capped budget that used to subsidize house costs for players.

You can find full lists her: http://www.ussoccer.com/NWSL/Allocated-Players.aspx

I don't like that you can't click on each name to jump to a player's profile. Oh wait, CSA lost that in transferring to a new website builder/host. sigh.

Boston Breakers

Sydney Leroux (USA)

Heather Mitts (USA)

Heather O'Reilly (USA)

Adriana Leon (CAN)

Rhian Wilkinson (CAN)

Anisa Guajardo (MEX)

Cecilia Santiago (MEX)

Chicago Red Stars

Shannon Boxx (USA)

Amy LePeilbet (USA)

Keelin Winters (USA)

Erin McLeod (CAN)

Carmelina Moscato (CAN)

Maribel Dominguez (MEX)

Dinora Garza (MEX)

FC Kansas City

Nicole Barnhart (USA)

Lauren Cheney (USA)

Becky Sauerbrunn (USA)

Desiree Scott (CAN)

Lauren Sesselmann (CAN)

Renae Cuellar (MEX)

Marylin Diaz (MEX)

Portland Thorns FC

Rachel Buehler (USA)

Tobin Heath (USA)

Alex Morgan (USA)

Luz Saucedo (MEX)

Marlene Sandoval (MEX)

Karina LeBlanc (CAN)

Christine Sinclair (CAN)

Seattle Reign FC

Megan Rapinoe (USA)

Amy Rodriguez (USA)

Hope Solo (USA)

Kaylyn Kyle (CAN)

Emily Zurrer (CAN)

Jenny Ruiz (MEX)

Teresa Noyola (MEX)

Sky Blue FC

Jill Loyden (USA)

Kelley O'Hara (USA)

Christie Rampone (USA)

Sophie Schmidt (CAN)

Melanie Booth (CAN)

Monica Ocampo (MEX)

Lydia Rangel (MEX)

Washington Spirit

Ashlyn Harris (USA)

Ali Krieger (USA)

Lori Lindsey (USA)

Robin Gayle (CAN)

Diana Matheson (CAN)

Alina Garciamendez (MEX)

Teresa Worbis (MEX)

Western New York Flash

Carli Lloyd (USA)

Abby Wambach (USA)

Bryanna McCarthy (CAN)

Jodi-Ann Robinson (CAN)

Veronica Perez (MEX)

Pamela Tajonar (MEX)

I know there are a plethora of social media site these days but I spend most my time on Twitter. Yael Averbuch (Kopparbergs) + Ella Masar (PSG) are American players hosting a weekly chat on Twitter on Tuesdays @ 8pm ET, using the hashtag #wsoccerchat. The first chat was held on December 11. At least 120 people tweeted the tag that day and hashtracking.com reported that the 30-min chat generated 1.6 million impressions. It was a torrential pour of questions + ideas. I missed the second chat, held on my birthday (Dec. 18). But I was all ears for the third chat, held this week (Wednesday). Several NWSL team owners + GM's joined this one and handled a barrage of questions as best as they could. Notably silent were the Seattle, Kansas City, and Portland leaders. This week's chat only generated 1.27 million impressions but that was enough for it to be trending in a few spots.

Hilary Storm has used her OCD powers for good by sifting thru hundred of tweets and creating a spreadsheet that shows the questions, answers, unanswered questions, and ideas. This week's spreadsheet took her a mere hour to generate-- crunching thru 600+ tweets. The woman is amazing. Anyhoo, here are the links to the docs.

Dec 11: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsTVV5raXS6DdHJ0YXF1cnR2cnhlRWxGbkZoY3ZxLVE

Jan 09: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjXA-sV6TALOdDVlUzRCcFp4NVhvUG1NdzNocUczbWc#gid=0

You can also find the lowdown at the NWSL News site: http://www.nwslnews.com/new-nwsl-details-revealed-during-this-weeks-womens-soccer-chat-wsoccerchat/

Thanks for the info Ingrid. Great to see the community growth, looking forward to going through those docs.

Two interesting info points from Jeff Kassouf:

How about trades?

Allocated players can only be traded in a ‘country-for-country’ scenario, one source revealed. A Canadian allocated player can only be traded for another Canadian allocated player, but a Mexican player can’t be traded for a U.S. player. So if a team get’s Abby Wambach, it won’t be able to swap her for Christine Sinclair, for example.

How did (does) the process of selecting teams work?

Much like WPS, players wrote down their top choices for where they would like to play, as did teams. A third party will (and likely already has) matched up the players to teams. Players, from what we are told, were asked to write their top four choices in addition to one team they did not want to play for, an interesting additional twist from the WPS allocation. For the U.S. national team, NWSL teams ranked 1-24 their order of player preferences. Free agency is coming soon…really soon. And the draft is Jan. 18.

How about trades?

Allocated players can only be traded in a ‘country-for-country’ scenario, one source revealed. A Canadian allocated player can only be traded for another Canadian allocated player, but a Mexican player can’t be traded for a U.S. player. So if a team get’s Abby Wambach, it won’t be able to swap her for Christine Sinclair, for example.

Are the trades player for player only; could a team offer a player + $ for another player? (I haven't sorted through the Google Docs).

You mean like when Joe Engel traded Johnny Jones to the Charlotte Hornets for a turkey in 1925? Mind you it was a 25 pound turkey.

Yes, but only Canadian allocation for Canadian allocation (with or without incentives). Which means Wilkinson for Gayle is a possibility.

Archived