The Elephant in the Room

Scottie

It's december, which in most years means we're engaged in voting for the voyageurs' player of the year. Obviously we're not too enthusiastic about doing that this year, and for good reason. After the embarrassing WCQ exit I can not think of any one player in our men's team that deserves any kind of recognition. In 2008 we still had the outstanding performance of Radzinski on an otherwise lousy team, but this time around I can not think of one player who stood out (in a good way, anyway). In my opinion, and I'm sure I'm far from alone on this one, we should not award a CMNT player of the year this year.

But I'd like to get a bit of discussion going on this since no one seems to have brought this up yet. Is there a positive to be drawn from all this? Perhaps some extra recognition could go to Christine Sinclair and the women's team? Or what about the hard work of Jamie and others supporting the team and getting people out to the games? Surely all that deserves some attention. What do you guys think?

I opened both of the PotY threads last year because nobody else did it, I think, and I did it in the second week of December. I was planning to wait that long before I did it again.

We should certainly still award a men's player of the year. Our crappy team was crap, oh wow; there was nothing even faintly unusual in that.

I opened both of the PotY threads last year because nobody else did it, I think, and I did it in the second week of December. I was planning to wait that long before I did it again.

Point of topic taken but...

We always experience an early winter dolldrum around here and we always launch the PotY later than others so I wouldn't read too much into it.

We'll have players of the year again. The women's side is all but decided (at least in my eyes) but you know I don't necessarily have a front runner in my mind for the men's side. Also, as I can't remember from last year, is it only the senior team players or are the youth team players options as well? Piette's had a great year so far.

To be fair even with the 8-1 in the equation this is the best performances/results for the MNT since 2000...

Hmmm. I don't want to to get into an argument here where i am the one on the side pleading how bad we are and knocking our national team. But there are too many circumstances to prove that what you are saying is pie-in-the-sky. You are probably aware of them.

This world cup cycle set its self up perfectly for Canada. There were no ref controversies, Canada was in (by far) the weakest group, it avoided being grouped with the one or two credibly opponents in the first round, Honduras was in rebuilding mode and was introducing a bunch of new/younger players and the Hex was setup with the fourth place team playing against Oceania.

You cannot ask for a more perfect scenario. Even the scheduled of games and opponents could not have been more favorable. Its as if the hidden hand was there pushing us to spot at the WC. Let face it, this performance was no better than the previous ones. At best, it was no different than the previous but more realistically it was worst. Ten points can be viewed differently when you consider that there was one home win on a cheesy goal, we had Cuba in our group (unlike the last four cycles) and we didnt have any opponents who played as poorly as Honduras did against us at home (and we still couldn't score).

I dont follow this MNT thread anywhere near to what i used to since that day in October. And those who do and continue to keep the faith, thats fine. I am not knocking you or questioning your faith. But a douse of reality every now and then never hurt anyone. Bottom line, when you consider that there are realistically only 8-9 sides in Concacaf, we are dead last or close. We dont have a good team.

Oh yes. the vote for player of year. My vote goes to the Fans.

I second that. I can't think of any players that really stood out, and the guys in Toronto did a fantastic job of filling the stadium for the home games.

Whoever did the most work to fill that stadium, and providing they are eligible to play for the National Team my vote goes for them.

Hmmm. I don't want to to get into an argument here where i am the one on the side pleading how bad we are and knocking our national team. But there are too many circumstances to prove that what you are saying is pie-in-the-sky. You are probably aware of them.

This world cup cycle set its self up perfectly for Canada. There were no ref controversies, Canada was in (by far) the weakest group, it avoided being grouped with the one or two credibly opponents in the first round, Honduras was in rebuilding mode and was introducing a bunch of new/younger players and the Hex was setup with the fourth place team playing against Oceania.

You cannot ask for a more perfect scenario. Even the scheduled of games and opponents could not have been more favorable. Its as if the hidden hand was there pushing us to spot at the WC. Let face it, this performance was no better than the previous ones. At best, it was no different than the previous but more realistically it was worst. Ten points can be viewed differently when you consider that there was one home win on a cheesy goal, we had Cuba in our group (unlike the last four cycles) and we didnt have any opponents who played as poorly as Honduras did against us at home (and we still couldn't score).

I dont follow this MNT thread anywhere near to what i used to since that day in October. And those who do and continue to keep the faith, thats fine. I am not knocking you or questioning your faith. But a douse of reality every now and then never hurt anyone. Bottom line, when you consider that there are realistically only 8-9 sides in Concacaf, we are dead last or close. We dont have a good team.

Yes I agree completely with this and we have to completely eradicate any thoughts that we improved in this WCQ or were on the right track. We need a complete change of tact and the higher point totals were entirely to be expected given a much easier draw and far fairer reffing than we have had in the past.

As far as players go there were a few that still did manage to stand out. I think Atiba played well and was still one of the few who did give an honest effort even in the 8-1 match. Jazic really played well and far better than expected and was probably the closest player to being a real leader on the team so I think this aspect of him was missed as much as his playing ability in the last match. Hard to think of many others to single out for praise though.

Yes I agree completely with this and we have to completely eradicate any thoughts that we improved in this WCQ or were on the right track. We need a complete change of tact and the higher point totals were entirely to be expected given a much easier draw and far fairer reffing than we have had in the past.

Well said. After one match we had a higher point total than the previous campaign, does that really mean anything? Eliminated in the semi final round is still the same result whether we had 10 points or 0.

Archived