CBC Canada's Athlete of the year

Admin

Its good to see that the accomplishments of Ryder Hesjedal are being recognized in that poll. I voted for him. Winning the giro broke new grounds for canadian athletes. And in sport that, in many parts of the world, is close to soccer in popularity. Sinclair is second and very deserving. I wouldnt have beef either way with either of those choices. But to me, what Hesjedal did is bigger.

Its good to see that the accomplishments of Ryder Hesjedal are being recognized in that poll. I voted for him. Winning the giro broke new grounds for canadian athletes. Sinclair is second and very deserving. I wouldnt have beef either way with either of those choices. But to me, what Hesjedal did is bigger.

But.... soccer.

Its good to see that the accomplishments of Ryder Hesjedal are being recognized in that poll. I voted for him. Winning the giro broke new grounds for canadian athletes. And in sport that, in many parts of the world, is close to soccer in popularity. Sinclair is second and very deserving. I wouldnt have beef either way with either of those choices. But to me, what Hesjedal did is bigger.

This really wasn't supposed to be rational.

This really wasn't supposed to be rational.

Just adding some food for thought. I think we are past the point whereby the game in canada is underappreciated, undervalued and its atletes get the short end of the stick. That Can-Usa game at the olympics set ratings records. I recall that in a similar poll a few years ago, i voted for Dwayne Derosario (not necessarily because i thought that he was the most dereving). But since then, things have changed. Attendance at games has been very good at the pro level and equally, all things considered, the recent world cup qualifying campagne. That final game in Honduras was followed by a lot of people.

You can safely have a soccer conversation now around a coffee table with any number of people that you could not have before. And thats why, in the past, many of us were attracted to a forum like this. So i dont see soccer as an underdog anymore in this country. All thats missing is a half decent Mens National team.

I think that i speak for many when i say that one of the attractions towards the national team and soccer was the fact that its was the most global of sports and that there was a void canada and no one seemed to care. And that far too many pundits in the mainstream in this country were more interested in recognizing achievements by Canadians that only got recognized by people like Bob Costas or americans in general. That things like leading baseball in Saves was somehow noteworthy in the bigger picture. What that poll righfully is proving is that canadians arent narrowminded and think only about how something gets recognized in the US. Good to see Ryder Hesjal and winning the giro is nothworthy.

I'm actually surprised the poll results are so tight! I agree Hesjedal is phenomenal, but I kind of had Sinclair pegged out as "Canada's darling". I know Ryder got a lot of media, but I didn't think it was anywhere near the attention Sinclair was getting. Frankly, I'm surprised the majority of Canadians would even recognize his name! But hey, good for him, and good for Canada for paying attention!

(And if you guys are all like...are you nuts, he was fed down our throats even more than Sinclair, than I preemptively counter with the fact that he wasn't in my hometown, just in case he was pushed way more in Ontario (and probably BC) than in Alberta :)

Archived