Q: Are Gerba and Impact now free of each other?

nolando

Since the season ended will he be out of contract officially? Anyone have a clue?

Yup ... he's officially free. Mind you, he was free to sign with the club of his choice, so I don't know if there is no interest, or he just wanted to sit around while IMFC paid him for doing nothing?

article from last year

http://the11.ca/2011/12/21/gerba-free-to-leave-impact-but-no-takers-so-far/

Yup ... he's officially free. Mind you, he was free to sign with the club of his choice, so I don't know if there is no interest, or he just wanted to sit around while IMFC paid him for doing nothing?

article from last year

http://the11.ca/2011/12/21/gerba-free-to-leave-impact-but-no-takers-so-far/

I believe he wanted both, to be free but also to get paid until his contract ends. I suppose he couldn't have it his way so he did prefer to sit around while getting paid.

What happened anyway....

In short, He was signed to a 2 year contract in 2010, while the club was still in NASL Div. 2. In 2011, he had an injury riddled season, and played poorly even when healthy. He was invited to the pre MLS camp, but was let go despite the two year contract he signed.

He did not hold a valid MLS contract, but the club still honord what was signed in 2010.

In short, He was signed to a 2 year contract in 2010, while the club was still in NASL Div. 2. In 2011, he had an injury riddled season, and played poorly even when healthy. He was invited to the pre MLS camp, but was let go despite the two year contract he signed.

He did not hold a valid MLS contract, but the club still honord what was signed in 2010.

He was signed to a 3 year contract that was supposed to include the first MLS year which was one of the reasons he came back to the Impact while they were still in NASL. If that was not the case they would not have paid him this year, they surely did not do it out of the goodness of their heart. The club had no choice but to honour it because it was a valid contract in both Canadian legal and FIFA terms. However, since the Impact never registered the contract with MLS it was not considered a valid MLS contract and thus did not count towards the salary cap which was the reason the Impact never registered it.

As to your point above about what he wanted to do, I am pretty sure what he wanted to do was to play for the Impact in MLS as was promised to him. And as much as Gerba has changed clubs frequently and people make rumours about him not having a good attitude, Mark Dos Santos even now continues to praise him and all former teammates or training partners of Gerba I have spoken to only had positive things to say about him. No one knows why the Impact did not want him to play this year but I agree with Kottonmouth that he could be a good MLS player and I certainly think we could have used him this year. Indeed we might have been in the playoffs this year had he played for us and we certainly needed another good striker all season. In 2011 he was injured all season and even when he played was not really in good condition though he did put together a decent string of games near the end of the season. However, in 2010 after a slow start he was possibly the best player in NASL. Previously in his career he was a pure striker by which I mean he always scored goals but otherwise did not do very much on the pitch which is why I think he often fell out of favour at clubs. In 2010 Dos Santos really got him to commit to all aspects of the game and he really played extremely well not only scoring goals but doing a lot of other things as well. From what I have seen from him I would venture to say he would have been our best striker this year Di Viao included. I certainly have never seen the bad technique and bad attitude from Gerba that I saw from Di Viao this year.

Joey/NDS may have decided not to play Gerba because of personal issues or they thought he was too big of a hit on the salary cap given his injury situation or for whatever reason. I am pretty sure that Jessy Marsch had little or no input into the decision not to play him. And as we saw in the Marsch situation it is not very hard to fall out of favour with La Familia. And they have a lot of money and can afford to pay him for doing nothing and probably if the player wants a buyout they are going to make sure it is on their terms not his, ie. the player gets ripped off. Gerba on his part coming off a bad injury plagued season was never going to get a contract anything close to what the Impact was paying him or any sort of transfer fee. At 30 years old (and recently turned 31) coming off a major injury with not many years left in his career it is easy to understand why he did not want to give up a contract that will provide him a lot of needed money for his future post-football life. It is a business decision on both sides but also unfortunate for both and especially unfortunate for the MNT who really needed Gerba.

Gerba is the only natural finisher we had on the Canadian Men's National team though I might give a shout out to McKenna but of course he is not a striker. Even Occean while he can score in a good league given a certain number of opportunities misses a lot as well. Indeed watching Di Viao this year made me realize how poor some of these top league strikers are at finishing, they are percentage finishers. Unfortunately our national team does not create much especially playing under an anti-creativity coach like Hart so we really needed someone like Gerba who can score given few chances. It is really disappointing that going into a WCQ cycle a finisher like Gerba has a career year and fixes many of the flaws in other areas of his play only to have a poor year due to injury and then get left off the team and unable to sign with another without taking a major pay cut. And now after two bad years, one not playing much of the season because of injury and the other not playing at all it is debateable whether he will be able to get his playing career back on track.

I stand corrected, it was indeed a three year contract, and not two. Did Ali get a raw deal? yeah .... I would say so. Whatever happened in the last NASL season, should have been swept under the rug, and he should have gotten a fair shot at the official camp.

I think a temporary loan out, would have been ideal for both sides. Gerba would have been able to make the club realize that they made a mistake. I don't know where he goes from here, but I would have no problem inviting him to IMFC's training camp. He's a Canadian that a plays a position the club needs help with.

All this would require, is for both Saputo and NDS to put their egos aside, and give the home town guy another shot.

^ Well said, Grizz.

One thing I would add is that while many MLS players are able to perform well into their thirties, they are almost exclusively the super-fit super-committed to personal health and training type of player a la Sebrango, Lee, DDR, and Jazic. With all that time off and his yoyo history of fitness I'm not sure Gerba will be ready coming evaluation time (and of course many MLS clubs are evaluating and signing right now, which makes Peters' decision to let himself go even more of a head-scratcher, as an aside).

I still think Gerba can contribute in MLS, too. The question is what type of many would even a Canadian side offer him (surely less than he has gotten used to - ie less than 100 K) and would Gerba be willing to swallow pride and take a low salary and potentially be a bench player?

^ Well said, Grizz.

One thing I would add is that while many MLS players are able to perform well into their thirties, they are almost exclusively the super-fit super-committed to personal health and training type of player a la Sebrango, Lee, DDR, and Jazic. With all that time off and his yoyo history of fitness I'm not sure Gerba will be ready coming evaluation time (and of course many MLS clubs are evaluating and signing right now, which makes Peters' decision to let himself go even more of a head-scratcher, as an aside).

I still think Gerba can contribute in MLS, too. The question is what type of many would even a Canadian side offer him (surely less than he has gotten used to - ie less than 100 K) and would Gerba be willing to swallow pride and take a low salary and potentially be a bench player?

I don't think he has a choice but to start from zero, and take less money if he wants to get back to playing. He was seen working out at CCR throughout last season, so I would assume that he still believes in a come back. I think the road back to playing, begins with an invite or trial with a club who recognizes his ability to score goals.

The Gerba story is nothing less than a sad and frustrating one... He clearly has had some issues with managers in the past but what has been pointed out MDS did a great job with him thus proving there is hope with having Gerba be a better 2 way forward. That being said he pretty much got paid to stay home last year when he could have at least made a NASL team roster. So it will be interesting to see where he lands (MLS, NASL etc) since he is a free agent technically or at this point hate to say it he may just hang up his boots...

It is incredible the number of Impact players that basically retired or left once the team reached MLS. Ribeiro, Pizzolitto, Di Lorenzo, Testo, Gatti, Gerba, etc. Too bad we don't have more Division 2 teams in the country. I'm sure a lot of these guys would still be playing if there were more teams.

As far as Gerba is concerned, I don't see much of a future for him. He has not played a competitive match for 14 months and by the time the next season starts it will be 18 months. He could play in the Quebec 3rd division league but that wouldn't be for the money, just for a chance to play.

This article(in French) on what Di Lorenzo, Billy and Agouram are doing today, is fascinating. Agouram now says he wasted a lot of time trying out for foreign clubs and will play in the NASL if he can:

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/201211/28/01-4598436-la-vie-apres-limpact.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B9_sports_257_accueil_POS3

Cool thanks for article!

Agouram: Slight hope if he can improve in the next year? Probably not..

Di Lo: Happy for him to be playing in Chile's first Division (one of my faves in the NASL/2nd Division) hell I would have kept him for a sub for Mapp... But physical nature of MLS would have him injured more than likely

Billy: Probably belongs in Ligue 2, 3

It is incredible the number of Impact players that basically retired or left once the team reached MLS. Ribeiro, Pizzolitto, Di Lorenzo, Testo, Gatti, Gerba, etc. Too bad we don't have more Division 2 teams in the country. I'm sure a lot of these guys would still be playing if there were more teams.

As far as Gerba is concerned, I don't see much of a future for him. He has not played a competitive match for 14 months and by the time the next season starts it will be 18 months. He could play in the Quebec 3rd division league but that wouldn't be for the money, just for a chance to play.

This article(in French) on what Di Lorenzo, Billy and Agouram are doing today, is fascinating. Agouram now says he wasted a lot of time trying out for foreign clubs and will play in the NASL if he can:

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/201211/28/01-4598436-la-vie-apres-limpact.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B9_sports_257_accueil_POS3

Archived