Toronto FC changes for 2013

Loud Mouth Soup

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Found an interesting article about Oscar Cordon dated November 15, he is presently in Guatemala training with Petapa.... if google translate is correct he wants to keep in shape and adapt to the style of play because he wants to play for Guatemala. Here is the link to the article...

http://guatefutbol.com/index.php/noticias/liga-nacional/petapa/item/3290-sin-tiempo-para-descansar

It crossed my mind thinking of where these kids could land that Cordon has the option to go down there and find a job and possibly defect. Not holding my breath that Vancouver or Montreal will offer him a trial...and wouldn't be surprised if the Guats try and steal him away.

It crossed my mind thinking of where these kids could land that Cordon has the option to go down there and find a job and possibly defect. Not holding my breath that Vancouver or Montreal will offer him a trial...and wouldn't be surprised if the Guats try and steal him away.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't TFC still hold his MLS rights? So for him to go to another MLS club they would have to acquire him from Toronto?

They'll go through the re-entry draft. Hopefully this generation of academy players that got signed before MLS figured out, as they call it, the '18-23 problem' will just be an unpleasant memory within a year or two. Unless they are Luis Gil or Aleman, the academy guys should be immediately loaned out to NASL/USL teams for a year or two, and that is the direction things are going. It's going to take a few years before the stink of the failure of the current academy setups leaves.

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't TFC still hold his MLS rights? So for him to go to another MLS club they would have to acquire him from Toronto?

I think by cutting him outright they loose his rights. Although you really never know with the ambiguity surrounding MLS roster rules.

As for Cordon, at least the kid has options.

I believe a contract offer has to be made to the player to retain his rights. If he were an Academy player who had not signed a pro deal he'd be tied to Toronto.

I question why a 19 year old who is on an off-budget contract and at least showed signs he was close to competing at the MLS level would be let go? Are they making room to sign their 23 yr old 4th round pick from Crappy St. University?

I believe a contract offer has to be made to the player to retain his rights. If he were an Academy player who had not signed a pro deal he'd be tied to Toronto.

I question why a 19 year old who is on an off-budget contract and at least showed signs he was close to competing at the MLS level would be let go? Are they making room to sign their 23 yr old 4th round pick from Crappy St. University?

I think this is going to be the case unfortunately. Maybe PM will surprise us and promote a guy like Pasher. He could slot into left back and move Morgan up to Left mid field. Who am I kidding though...:(

Don't be surprised if next season TFC carries a similar amount of Canadians as Montreal and Vancouver.

Not surprised by today's cuts, although I expected Stinson to be among the cuts.

If I'm Montreal of Vancouver I would try to grab Cann as a back up defender.

I'm worried a little about the future of Cordon, Makabuya and Lindsay. We really do need more Canadian NASL teams.

Would love to have him in Montreal for insurance, but doubt thats going to happen given IMFC already have Alessandro Nesta, Matteo Ferrari, and Nelson Rivas, not to mention Hassoun Camara who could/did fill in nicely when needed.

Would love to have him in Montreal for insurance, but doubt thats going to happen given IMFC already have Alessandro Nesta, Matteo Ferrari, and Nelson Rivas, not to mention Hassoun Camara who could/did fill in nicely when needed.

Rivas breaks often and Nesta is going to need a lot of games off, so having Cann as 5th defender won't be so bad?

Hanauer: 'The games absolutely drive me nuts'

By Ridge Mahoney

The part of his job that Seattle general manager Adrian Hanauer utterly dreads is fast approaching, and he’s powerless to avoid it.

Given the intense discussions between TFC diehards about the front office... just a view inside the Sounders World !!

When the Sounders set foot on CenturyLink Field Sunday (9 p.m. ET, ESPN, ESPN Deportes) trailing the Los Angeles Galaxy, 3-0, in the Western Conference finals, Hanauer will suffer. An imposing deficit is not the source of his pain; instead, his angst stems from the games themselves. All of them.

“I talk the big talk about staying pretty even,” says Hanauer, whose association with team extends back a decade to its United Soccer Leagues days. “But you can ask anyone who works with me and I’m miserable.”

Anyone would include owner Joe Roth and technical director Chris Henderson and head coach Sigi Schmid, and just about everybody connected to the Sounders. Modest in height and dress, bespectacled in the manner of a dourly efficient accountant, Hanauer is a savvy businessman whose family investments include manufacturing, food production, and technology. He’s sharp, organized, insightful.

Come game time, he undergoes a powerful metamorphosis into extreme fandom. He goes a bit batty.

“My stomach hurts, I turn into a different person,” says Hanauer. “If we lost, I’m just miserable until about 48 hours later. The games absolutely drive me insane. Maybe I’ll stop going to the games and just do all the other stuff.”

He reveled in the Sounders’ first playoff triumph a week ago Wednesday when they beat Real Salt Lake, 1-0, to take the semifinal series by the same score, then plunged back into the abyss at Home Depot Center four days later as the Galaxy rolled to its commanding 3-0 lead.

“Quite frankly, I’ve been mentioning to Chris and Sigi and even Joe Roth recently that I absolutely love my job,” says Hanauer, 46, whose passion for the game began at age 8 as a fan of the old North American Soccer League Sounders. “I love the culture-building, the chemistry-building, the strategy, the player scouting, the contract negotiations, the training sessions. I love all of it. I absolutely have learned to frickin’ hate the games.”

Like its fans and the entire Seahawks/Sounders organization, Hanauer has enjoyed the team’s astounding success at the gate and on the field during its four MLS seasons. Except for those playoff eliminations in years one, two and three. Its first season set a most frustrating tone; after winning the U.S. Open Cup, the season ended as RSL and the Galaxy played for the MLS Cup title on the Sounders’ home field.

Roth set a high standard when Seattle joined MLS, stating his team wouldn’t start out as a loser as is often the case for expansion teams. He has a kindred spirit in Hanauer.

“There’s still owners that are more or less involved, but there are definitely a bunch of owners who are all-in,” says Hanauer of the film and television executive who played college soccer at Bowling Green and Hofstra. “Joe is into it.”

Seattle repeated as Open Cup champion in 2010 and 2011, and also repeated its early playoff exit. It lost this year’s Open Cup final to Sporting Kansas City on penalty kicks, but managed to get past the first round of the playoffs for the first time when it prevailed at Rio Tinto Stadium. Then the misery returned.

“Yeah, talk about roller coasters,” says Henderson, who usually watches the games with Hanauer. “A few days before you play the Galaxy, you’ve gone further than this franchise has ever gone, and then, boom, you go there and they cut you down, 3-0.”

With just one game but a three-goal deficit standing between the Sounders and their first MLS Cup appearance, and a crowd of 40,000 expected at CenturyLink Field, the support staff – especially the maintenance crew – will be on full alert. Henderson, a former U.S. international who played overseas as well as in MLS, works closely with Hanauer but keeps his distance when the whistle blows.

“I do say there’s a few holes in some walls up in CenturyLink, but we do give each other at least one chair space,” says Henderson. “He cares that much, which is great. If he didn’t get as high and low as he does, we wouldn’t have the organization here that we have. He’s so into it and we love that.”

Whether or not the Sounders pull off the incredible and reach their first MLS Cup, Hanauer’s tenure is up for review in a unique manner. As a condition of investing in the team, fellow minority owner and genial funny-man Drew Carey empowered the team’s fans to vote thumbs-up or thumbs-down on whether to retain the GM. As the playoffs unfold, those votes are being cast and tabulated.

Like fidgeting and flailing during a game while powerless to affect the outcome, Hanauer can’t do much about the vote other than ride out the process and wait for the result.

“Someone, somewhere probably knows what the results are, but I don’t,” he says. “We’ve had good participation in terms of the voting. I don’t know whether I’ll still be general manager in addition to an owner or I’ll just be an owner. Not knowing makes it easier.”

Kevin Payne joining Toronto FC as president?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/11/27/report-dc-president-payne-leaving-join-another-team

One of the most recognized faces at D.C. United is moving on.

D.C. United on Tuesday announced that club president Kevin Payne, who has led the organization since the league's inaugural season in 1996, is stepping down.

“They say the only constant in life is change,” Payne said in a club statement. “For me, D.C. United has been like my child. We brought the team into the D.C. and national sports world 17 years ago and every day since – good and bad – has been a labor of love.

“I'm very excited about the next phase of my life, and very excited about the next phase for D.C. United, as well."

Earlier on Tuesday, a report in The Washington Post suggested Payne will be joining Toronto FC.

The 59-year-old Payne has been synonymous with D.C. United and the move will come as a somewhat of a shock as the club moves closer than ever at securing a long-awaited soccer stadium.

n his State of the League address on Monday, MLS Commissioner Don Garber indicated there was "new momentum" for the project in D.C., aided by the arrival of new owners Jason Levien and Erick Thohir in July.

D.C. United, who won the 1998 CONCACAF Champions' Cup and four MLS Cups under Payne ('96, '97, '99 and '04), experienced a turnaround on the field in 2012 with their first playoff appearance in five years. They were ousted in the Eastern Conference Championship at the hands of the Houston Dynamo.

“Very few people in American soccer have put their stamp on a club as Kevin has with D.C. United,” United head coach Ben Olsen said in the club statement. “His loyalty to the team and me is something for which I’ll always be indebted.”

The Washington Post reports that the club has already begun a search to fill Payne's position.

Toronto FC did not return an e-mail seeking comment from MLSsoccer.com.

Kevin Payne joining Toronto FC as president?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/11/27/report-dc-president-payne-leaving-join-another-team

One of the most recognized faces at D.C. United is moving on.

D.C. United on Tuesday announced that club president Kevin Payne, who has led the organization since the league's inaugural season in 1996, is stepping down.

“They say the only constant in life is change,” Payne said in a club statement. “For me, D.C. United has been like my child. We brought the team into the D.C. and national sports world 17 years ago and every day since – good and bad – has been a labor of love.

“I'm very excited about the next phase of my life, and very excited about the next phase for D.C. United, as well."

Earlier on Tuesday, a report in The Washington Post suggested Payne will be joining Toronto FC.

The 59-year-old Payne has been synonymous with D.C. United and the move will come as a somewhat of a shock as the club moves closer than ever at securing a long-awaited soccer stadium.

n his State of the League address on Monday, MLS Commissioner Don Garber indicated there was "new momentum" for the project in D.C., aided by the arrival of new owners Jason Levien and Erick Thohir in July.

D.C. United, who won the 1998 CONCACAF Champions' Cup and four MLS Cups under Payne ('96, '97, '99 and '04), experienced a turnaround on the field in 2012 with their first playoff appearance in five years. They were ousted in the Eastern Conference Championship at the hands of the Houston Dynamo.

“Very few people in American soccer have put their stamp on a club as Kevin has with D.C. United,” United head coach Ben Olsen said in the club statement. “His loyalty to the team and me is something for which I’ll always be indebted.”

The Washington Post reports that the club has already begun a search to fill Payne's position.

Toronto FC did not return an e-mail seeking comment from MLSsoccer.com.

Good move if it's true, which I think will be officially announced soon.

Archived