2012 CIS men’s soccer championship [R]

2012 CIS men’s soccer championship: Brackets and schedule announced

Photo credit Yan Doublet

OTTAWA (CIS) – The schedule and opening-round matchups were announced Monday morning for the 43rd CIS men’s soccer championship in Quebec City.

The eight-team, single-elimination tournament gets underway Thursday at TELUS-Université Laval Stadium and culminates on Sunday with the gold-medal final at 2 p.m. All 11 games from the competition will be webcast live on CIS-SIC.tv.

New champions will be crowned on Sunday as the Victoria Vikes, who captured the Sam Davidson Memorial Trophy on home turf a year ago, were eliminated in the first round of the Canada West conference playoffs.

The teams hoping to claim the 2012 CIS banner are the tourney host Laval Rouge et Or (RSEQ finalists), as well as the UQTR Patriotes (RSEQ champions), Cape Breton Capers (AUS champs), UNB Varsity Reds (AUS finalists), McMaster Marauders (OUA champs), Carleton Ravens (OUA finalists), UBC Thunderbirds (Canada West champs) and Alberta Golden Bears (Canada West finalists).

Thursday’s quarter-finals include Cape Breton vs. Carleton at 11 a.m., UQTR vs. Alberta at 1:30 p.m., UBC vs. UNB at 4 p.m., and McMaster vs. Laval at 6:30 p.m.

UBC has won a record 11 national titles over the years but hasn’t hoisted the Davidson Trophy since 2007. Alberta (4), Laval (1) and UNB (1) have also triumphed in the past.

The CIS individual awards and all-Canadians will be announced on Wednesday night.

NOTE: A complete championship preview will follow on Tuesday.

Official championship website: http://english.cis-sic.ca/championships/msoc/index

PARTICIPATING TEAMS

Cape Breton Capers (AUS champions: 6-3-4 regular season / 3-0 playoffs)

UQTR Patriotes (RSEQ champions: 7-2-3 regular season / 2-0 playoffs)

McMaster Marauders (OUA champions: 12-1-3 regular season / 3-0 playoffs)

UBC Thunderbirds (CWUAA champions: 11-0-3 regular season / 2-0 playoffs)

UNB Varsity Reds (AUS finalists: 9-3-1 regular season / 1-1 playoffs)

Laval Rouge et Or (RSEQ finalists: 9-0-3 regular season / 1-1 playoffs)

Carleton Ravens (OUA finalists: 10-2-2 regular season / 2-1 playoffs)

Alberta Golden Bears (CWUAA finalists: 9-2-4 regular season / 1-1 playoffs)

CHAMPIONSHIP SCHEDULE

Wednesday, Nov. 7

18:30 All-Canadian Awards Banquet (Loews Le Concorde Hotel)

Thursday, Nov. 8

11:00 Quarter-final 1: Cape Breton vs. Carleton (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)

13:30 Quarter-final 2: UQTR vs. Alberta (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)

16:00 Quarter-final 3: UBC vs. UNB (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)

18:30 Quarter-final 4: McMaster vs. Laval (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)

Friday, Nov. 9

11:00 Consolation 1: Loser QF 1 vs. Loser QF 2 (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)

13:30 Consolation 2: Loser QF 3 vs. Loser QF 4 (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)

16:00 Semifinal 1: Winner QF 1 vs. Winner QF 2 (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)

18:30 Semifinal 2: Winner QF 3 vs. Winner QF 4 (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)

Saturday, Nov. 10

11:00 5th-place game (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)

Sunday, Nov. 11

11:30 Bronze medal (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)

14:00 Championship final (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)

http://english.cis-sic.ca/championships/msoc/2012/releases/brackets

I'll take the CBU Capers, even though will be considered by many as longshots. Bronze last year, losing semifinal to Victoria by a late goal. Most of team is back. I've seen them play 4 games this year, have had major share of possession, perhaps 60% at a minimum, and have starting line back. Lost their starting keeper to injury at beginning of year, but since his return have been undefeated.

First quarterfinal complete:

Cape Breton 0-0 Carleton PK 4-3

A fairly even game, with an edge to Cape Breton on quality chances and shots at / on goal (24-16 / 8-3). They had the ball in the net on one occasion, but it was called back for either a foul or offside, I'm not sure which. I've seen Carleton play better than they did here.

Each team took 6 PKs in the shootout:

CBC 1 0 1 0 1 1 = 4

CAR 1 1 0 0 1 0 = 3

Both of Cape Breton's misses were saves, while two of Carleton's misses were saves and the third was over the bar. Carleton's last shooter went with the "shoot it down the middle, because the keeper will dive to the side" theory, but the keeper managed to stand still long enough to read the shot and it went right into his hands. That same keeper also took one of Cape Breton's PKs and scored.

The second quarterfinal is now delayed due to the first going to PKs. But the first women's quarterfinal is about to kickoff -- perhaps we'll take this to the women's section of the forum...

The second quarterfinal is complete:

UQTR 2-1 Alberta

UQTR 30' Francis Labrie

UQTR 59' Guillaume Surot

ALTA 66' Jermele Campbell

I didn't see enough of this to comment. Shots at goal were 24-10 in favour of UQTR, while shots on goal were closer at 8-4. Eddy Sidra played 90 minutes.

The third quarterfinal is underway, with UBC already scoring 2 goals against UNB in the first 15 minutes. Why is the video so dark?

The third quarterfinal is complete:

UBC 4-0 UNB

UBC 7' Steve Johnson

UBC 14' Gagandeep Dosanjh

UBC 33' Marco Visintin

UBC 46' Gagandeep Dosanjh

This one was over after 15 minutes. Shots were 23/12 for UBC and 9/4 for UNB. Apparently the third UBC goal went in directly from a corner, but I didn't catch that.

In contrast to my positive comments about the Webcast from UVic (see women's thread), the Webcast from Laval leaves much to be desired: even in the daylight the camera was jerky and there were no onscreen graphics, but it's even worse now that the sun has set because the video is very dark and it's difficult to see the ball when it goes into the glare of the stadium lights reflecting off the field. Surely the stadium isn't that dark, so the camera must not be set properly?

I didn't see enough of this to comment. Shots at goal were 24-10 in favour of UQTR, while shots on goal were closer at 8-4. Eddy Sidra played 90 minutes.

UQTR dominated the game, but when Alberta attacked, they took their chances well, but couldn't finish. The last 10 or 15 minutes were all Alberta, but UQTR had a couple of fantastic chances that were equaled by fantastic saves by the Alberta GK, who was essentially left alone in his own half as his defense had pushed way up the field.

Thanks for the comments, sulfur!

I didn't see much of the last quarterfinal, either, so if anyone who did would like to comment...

McMaster 0-1 Laval

LAV 36' Goran Rimac

I did see the goal: a nice header off a corner. According to the stats, that was Laval's only shot on goal (7 at goal), while McMaster had only 2 (10 at goal). McMaster had scored 5 goals in each of the OUA semifinal and final against the stingy defences of Queen's and Carleton -- I'm still puzzled as to how that happened.

So there are no OUA teams in the semifinals for the second year in a row.

Friday:

Consolation Semifinals

Carleton vs. Alberta

UNB vs. McMaster

Semifinals:

Cape Breton vs. UQTR

UBC vs. Laval

Final. How's this for the war of acronyms? UBC vs CBU. It's a David vs Goliath battle of school sizes, but in reality, that has no bearing on the field at all. Both teams have plenty of talent, and I'll still give the edge to CBU for their possession style of play.

It looks like our original predicitions hold true.

Canada West has proved time and time again it's the top mens soccer conference. I think UBC will prove it again against CBU.

I was able to watch entire game, and would agree with most reviews. UBC had many more chances, CBU never really threatened. The goal was a simple one, long free kick that was misplayed, no one touched it and it had eyes for the net. The score was not indicative of the play, score could have been 3 or 4 to nil, as UBC back line were never really tested.

In defense of CBU, they didn't seem at all like the team that played in recent games. Their touches were definitely off, and had tired legs. Making very few subs in the last 6 games caught up to the team. In past 6 games, they went to Extra time and Pks twice, and in two games played down a man. 6 games in 10 days will take a big toll.

Good pick soccerpro.

UBC wins 1-0. Although judging from several post game recaps, CBU was never really in it.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?3917-2012-CIS-Mens-Soccer-National-Championshp

Most years, getting out of Canada is tougher than winning the national title. This year is no different.

I was able to watch entire game, and would agree with most reviews. UBC had many more chances, CBU never really threatened. The goal was a simple one, long free kick that was misplayed, no one touched it and it had eyes for the net. The score was not indicative of the play, score could have been 3 or 4 to nil, as UBC back line were never really tested.

In defense of CBU, they didn't seem at all like the team that played in recent games. Their touches were definitely off, and had tired legs. Making very few subs in the last 6 games caught up to the team. In past 6 games, they went to Extra time and Pks twice, and in two games played down a man. 6 games in 10 days will take a big toll.

Good pick soccerpro.

Does Dosanjh or anyone else have a shot at MLS?

That is a good article. I remember Paul James a couple years back wanted to do something with the CIS with regards to Canadian player development.

If the CIS were to get serious about player development, the organization would need to create an elite 10 to 20 team division that has a longer season and takes all the kids from the high performance leagues and non-graduates from the MLS academies. This would be a joint effort between the CIS and the Canadain MLS clubs with the former getting universitie to buy into the elite league and the latter supplying the funding needed to get the proper coaching and scholarships for the teams within that very elite division. I think an effort like this would make the CIS trump the NCAA with regards to developing MLS caliber players.

Though lots of former pros have come back, I can't remember the last pro to come out of UBC. Pat Onstad? Mike Franks maybe.

From the CIS you have Haidar Al-Shaibani who went from Western to France D2 which isn't that bad of a move. I'm not sure Haidar is good enough for MLS. Maybe as a back up.

As for the Championship in Quebec City I saw the first 30 min of UBC-Laval semi final and UBC were all over Laval. I also saw the final and UBC were clearly the better team in the tournament.

I felt like the injury to Samuel Georget didn't help Laval since this player has the ability to take over a game by himself like in did in the Challenge Cup final with Beauport. That being said, UBC were still the better team by far and Dosanjh is quite good. Tough to say if he's good enough for the MLS but everyone who I talked too at the championship were impress with his play. Tournament MVP.

I also feel like the level of play of CIS has improve a lot in recent years. Laval have some former Impact academy players or former youth players with Euro clubs (like GK Cournoyer who was with a Belgium first division club) and I see the same with Ontario and team from the West. Good to see.

That was my comment for this tournament. I go back to not wanting to post here anymore. I'm still not over the 8-1. Ciao

That is a good article. I remember Paul James a couple years back wanted to do something with the CIS with regards to Canadian player development.

If the CIS were to get serious about player development, the organization would need to create an elite 10 to 20 team division that has a longer season and takes all the kids from the high performance leagues and non-graduates from the MLS academies. This would be a joint effort between the CIS and the Canadain MLS clubs with the former getting universitie to buy into the elite league and the latter supplying the funding needed to get the proper coaching and scholarships for the teams within that very elite division. I think an effort like this would make the CIS trump the NCAA with regards to developing MLS caliber players.

Why the **** would the CIS get serious about player development? Why should they care?

SO WHAT DID the USL pro combine do for Jason Gill’s chances?

“I think I did okay,” he said. “I mean, I got a couple offers from some teams that wanted to invite me to their trials, but I figured I was in a different place in my life…I’m not doing soccer any more.

“You gotta try and be realistic with yourself,” Gill added. “I wasn’t that great of a player coming into UBC but the environment that I trained in day in day out, that’s what made me a better player.”

UBC is still a good program for players with a future in the game, according to Gill. “I think it’s a good mixture of both,” he said. “I mean, if their main desire is to play professional soccer, that can be achieved at UBC. Maybe you’re better off in the US, or whatnot, but you’re still getting a great education.”

But Gill, who is looking for a career in accounting, cited the potential risk of serious injury. “I mean, I’m 23 years old. If I do play for a couple years, then I’m back where I started and looking for a job and trying to start my life all over again,” he said.

“I have a degree now so I kind of would like to pursue that and move forward with my life.”

So clearly the CIS sent the wrong type of player ...one who was "in a different place".

“I think I did okay,” he said. “I mean, I got a couple offers from some teams that wanted to invite me to their trials, but I figured I was in a different place in my life…I’m not doing soccer any more.

“You gotta try and be realistic with yourself,” Gill added. “I wasn’t that great of a player coming into UBC but the environment that I trained in day in day out, that’s what made me a better player.”

UBC is still a good program for players with a future in the game, according to Gill. “I think it’s a good mixture of both,” he said. “I mean, if their main desire is to play professional soccer, that can be achieved at UBC. Maybe you’re better off in the US, or whatnot, but you’re still getting a great education.”

But Gill, who is looking for a career in accounting, cited the potential risk of serious injury. “I mean, I’m 23 years old. If I do play for a couple years, then I’m back where I started and looking for a job and trying to start my life all over again,” he said.

“I have a degree now so I kind of would like to pursue that and move forward with my life.”

So clearly the CIS sent the wrong type of player ...one who was "in a different place".

The CIS is going to have this problem a lot when the players research how much the salaries actually are.

• 3 weeks later...

His Punjabi parents got to him. I'm not surprised.

Why the **** would the CIS get serious about player development? Why should they care?

If the corporate sponsors come, why not?

Why do they care about player development for the CFL? I ask because the organization does care. It's not like Canadian universities are apathetic towards CIS football knowing full well that CFL teams have to draft players from them regardless. They put some effort into their programs despite that fact.

Archived