The Craig Forrest POV: Who is responsible?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/36625012001/40223743001/Canada-shows-no-Hart

Listen to what Craig Forrest had to say at the end of the clip. Do you guys agree at all? I know there are many threads to talk about the game already, but do his words hold more weight because he has been a player? If we blame the staff, does Fonseca deserve any percentage of the blame? Or other members of the staff?

There is plenty of blame to go around, but in an 8-1 loss, the players are the biggest issue. In a game of inches losing by a goal you can look back at the coaches decisions as suspect, but jesus tactics should be an after thought in an 8-1 loss. Hart is gone, but those players should feel nothing but shame today.

The loss in Panama hinted at a lack of leadership, guts and toughness and today's disaster proved it. I was really pissed off that they couldn't hold the fort fort for even 10 minutes, but what really bugs me is that in both away games the team failed to respond, or up their game after getting scored on... they just drop their heads or become more scared and give up another goal and another. Thousands of beer league hockey teams will show more heart and fight across the country tonight. What the he||!!!

Before the game I was watching interviews (RNO or SN forget which), with McKenna. One of the reporters ask him how he felt knowing it could be his last game for Canada if they lost. That should have been his Mark Messier Moment, where he came out and said "there's no way in hell we're letting that happen"... but it wasn't... he didn't have the balls to do it, and he (nor most of his teammates) didn't have the balls to play fearless and compete, even remotely, in this game.

I however, believe that Hart demonstrated a fundamental lack of leadership as well. Motivating players is also the coaches job. Moreover, for all he said about it being the most dangerous thing to tell players "to play for the draw", and all the talk of sticking to what got them their and not changing the game plan, actions speak louder than words, and when you start Nik Ledgerwood in a game like that you're playing for the tie.

Piss poor leadership all round.

Before the game I was watching interviews (RNO or SN forget which), with McKenna. One of the reporters ask him how he felt knowing it could be his last game for Canada if they lost. That should have been his Mark Messier Moment, where he came out and there's no why in hell we're letting that happen... but it wasn't... he didn't have the balls to do it, and he (nor most of his teammates) didn't have the balls to play fearless and compete, even remotely, in this game.

Yeah, we needed Herdman's sports psychologists working for Hart. I said this elsewhere, but Herdman's thorough and modern approach to football is what we need at every level and on every team. I hope the CSA uses him as a consultant going forward. Sure, he's got a lot to do with his other job, but the men's program could learn from what Herdman has done. Our women went into that game against the US believing they could win: and what a great AND gutsy performance!!

Before the game I was watching interviews (RNO or SN forget which), with McKenna. One of the reporters ask him how he felt knowing it could be his last game for Canada if they lost. That should have been his Mark Messier Moment, where he came out and said "there's no way in hell we're letting that happen"... but it wasn't... he didn't have the balls to do it, and he (nor most of his teammates) didn't have the balls to play fearless and compete, even remotely, in this game.

I however, believe that Hart demonstrated a fundamental lack of leadership as well. Motivating players is also the coaches job. Moreover, for all he said about it being the most dangerous thing to tell players "to play for the draw", and all the talk of sticking to what got them their and not changing the game plan, actions speak louder than words, and when you start Nik Ledgerwood in a game like that you're playing for the tie.

Piss poor leadership all round.

I agree with this completely, but I'll add one thing. The leadership on the field is completely non-existent. That is a far bigger problem than the coach.

One of the biggest factors I saw was the pitch lending itself to highly technical players. The ball held up really easily. It was advantage to the Hondurans and exploited the lack of technical ability we have. Hutchinson was the only player of ours that excelled.

The video of Forrest opinion is not available in my country, what did he say?

Are you Peruvian, dude? Yo tambien soy Peruano que radica en Canada. Forrest states that Canada was "gutless" for not showing up when in counted. He probably would've been more harsh, but since he gets paid by Sportsnet, had to "simplify" his wording :)

The video of Forrest opinion is not available in my country, what did he say?

"This is a team that Canada played very well against, at home. Should have won, and they go away from home, I know how difficult it is, but that to lose or concede 8 goals is unacceptable, not good enough. And the players should be coming up and say ‘sorry’ to Stephen Hart."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/video/36625012001/40223743001/Canada-shows-no-Hart

Listen to what Craig Forrest had to say at the end of the clip. Do you guys agree at all? I know there are many threads to talk about the game already, but do his words hold more weight because he has been a player? If we blame the staff, does Fonseca deserve any percentage of the blame? Or other members of the staff?

I've always said they don't have any confidence .. letting in the first 2 goals destroyed what little they had, which isn't much. There was nothing left but quivering jello, which is what they really are deep down.

All the words before the game were just words. I was reading Dero's tweets during the game about digging deep, blah .. again, just words! Hollow. And deep down there's nothing. Deep down they 'know' they are bad. That's why they are so anxious .. they don't believe in themselves but try to hide it. And they probably have no confidence in their coaches. To reverse the process they would need a good coach who knows how to instill confidence .. getting the players to believe in themselves. I think they need somebody with a very strong personality.. I think the personality of the coach is very important here. Mitchell, Hart are quiet types .. MISTAKE. Mitchell was even visibly anxious and nervous himself. He was a mirror of the players. Hart I'm not sure what he conveys day to day, but he's not going to scare anyone straight. They need like a General Patton ... you know, I think Jesse Marsch personality type (ok I'm an Impact fan), somebody that's a little scary and you don't want to make angry .. lol ..

And ... the coach has to come from outside the system. There's too many anxious, nervous, quiet personalities in it, whose confidence is about as shaky as the players ...

Are you Peruvian, dude? Yo tambien soy Peruano que radica en Canada. Forrest states that Canada was "gutless" for not showing up when in counted. He probably would've been more harsh, but since he gets paid by Sportsnet, had to "simplify" his wording :)

Hi yeah. what city are you living in?

Hire Holger again

Nolberto, you remember Freddy Ternero. He won the Sudamerica with Ciencinano. A good coach and motivator. He screwed up in the sernior team because he was pressed by media and was crucified because of the 5-0 loss to colombia; however, if he coaches Canada he would do wonders

Hi yeah. what city are you living in?

Hire Holger again

Nolberto, you remember Freddy Ternero. He won the Sudamerica with Ciencinano. A good coach and motivator. He screwed up in the sernior team because he was pressed by media and was crucified because of the 5-0 loss to colombia; however, if he coaches Canada he would do wonders

Hey Dude, I live in Vancouver. Yeah I remember Freddy Ternero, thought he was a good coach, but the national team had too many prima donnas and he suffered because of it. Now Markarian is suffering the same fate, but it's not his fault Peruvian players suck on defense and our midfield is average. Aveces digo como quisiera que Canada tenga la tecnica peruana. It would do wonders for the skill level here, but they have alot of work to do.

Holger was a good coach, but in WCQ he couldn't get results and the players complained to the CSA about his Spartan tactics, and now look where Holger is now. The man has found success in other places.

Also, Canada can't afford a good coach. Was it 6 years ago or so, Rene Simoes from Brasil was the top choice to coach Canada, as long as he kept the Canadian staff as his assistant coaches. No coach in the world would work with an FA's preffered assistant coaches. He said screw you and we got left with a local coach again. See a pattern here Voyageurs.

Hey Dude, I live in Vancouver. Yeah I remember Freddy Ternero, thought he was a good coach, but the national team had too many prima donnas and he suffered because of it. Now Markarian is suffering the same fate, but it's not his fault Peruvian players suck on defense and our midfield is average. Aveces digo como quisiera que Canada tenga la tecnica peruana. It would do wonders for the skill level here, but they have alot of work to do.

Holger was a good coach, but in WCQ he couldn't get results and the players complained to the CSA about his Spartan tactics, and now look where Holger is now. The man has found success in other places.

Also, Canada can't afford a good coach. Was it 6 years ago or so, Rene Simoes from Brasil was the top choice to coach Canada, as long as he kept the Canadian staff as his assistant coaches. No coach in the world would work with an FA's preffered assistant coaches. He said screw you and we got left with a local coach again. See a pattern here Voyageurs.

I hope this time, something really works well. I am sorry for Peru, too. But it is unforgivable that a country that breathes soccer, sucks at it. That is why I think Canada can really improve and with the right direction in mind, they get to the WC.

BTW I checks Camilo Sanvezzo, he is a greater FW than all the current ones combined

I hope this time, something really works well. I am sorry for Peru, too. But it is unforgivable that a country that breathes soccer, sucks at it. That is why I think Canada can really improve and with the right direction in mind, they get to the WC.

BTW I checks Camilo Sanvezzo, he is a greater FW than all the current ones combined

Camilo is Brasilian and not Canadian, amigo. Unless Canada offers him citizenship and he accepts, than he might want to suit up and play for Canada. Although Camilo has had his highs and lows in MLS, I'm sure he wouldn't have hesitated on scoring in hostile environments.

Archived