Christine Sinclair suspended for 4 games and was imposed a fine of $3500 by FIFA

sincforpm

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Herdman snubbed too for Bini, Sundhage and Sasaki.

Interestingly, yesterday FIFA published an article with the headline "A tough 2012 for Brazil superstar Marta" where she say's the player of the year is Christine Sinclair.

Also interestingly, the French are close to throwing Bini out the door.

John Herdman had the best performance as a major coach in the history of the women's game. Anyone who does not even include him in a shortlist for 2012 is clearly insane.

They usually publish the results of the voting for the players and it will be an interesting read, as would be the media list.

Bingo.

Article 6 : The Ballon d'or is allocated based on four main criteria:

a) All individual and collective performance (ranking) during the year;

B) Class Player (talent + fair play)

c) Career

d) Personality, radiation

Not sure how much it would have come into play but Abby Wambach's badgering the referee was not well-known outside North America.

(Cross-post from the Vancouver Southsiders forum.)

I was going over the 2011 Ballon d'Or votes (because I only just learned they were fully public) and I found something interesting. Here are the nations whose captains voted Marta first place in the Ballon d'Or last year; she had a far better year than this one but clearly wasn't actually the best player in the world. In parentheses is that country's current FIFA Women's World Ranking.

Algeria (74), Azerbaijan (128), Cayman Islands (128), Chad (NR), Congo (128), Cook Islands (99), Denmark (12), Dominican Republic (88), El Salvador (97), Iran (54), Lebanon (118), Macedonia (110), Malawi (125), Mauritius (NR), Morocco (70), Palestine (95), Papua New Guinea (49), St. Lucia (128), Tajikistan (NR), the Turks and Caicos (128), Uruguay (67), Uzbekistan (41), Vanuatu (103), and Zimbabwe (94).

The same list for coaches who voted Marta in first place in 2011 is:

Algeria (74), Belgium (28), Bolivia (128), Cayman Islands (128), Congo (128), Croatia (63), Djibouti, Dominican Republic (88), El Salvador (97), Ethiopia (101), Guinea (113), Guinea-Bissau (128), Honduras (102), Iran (54), Israel (61), Macedonia (110), Malawi (125), Mauritius (NR), Pakistan (128), Panama (128), Tajikistan (NR), Tunisia (73), the Turks and Caicos (128), Uzbekistan (41), Vanuatu (103).

So Denmark, Belgium, very very very arguably Uzbekistan, and a host of countries with either completely uncompetitive programs or programs so unserious I'm shocked they even get a ballot. It's hard to escape the conclusion that the Ballon d'Or is heavily weighted towards glamourous candidates from high-profile soccer countries and therefore, provably, should not be taken as any sort of comment on a player's ability.

It's hard to escape the conclusion that the Ballon d'Or is heavily weighted towards glamourous candidates from high-profile soccer countries and therefore, provably, should not be taken as any sort of comment on a player's ability.

Exactly. Fifa choices are sometimes highly questionable and it appears since they joined with France, the whole award hoopla lost credibility.

You mean that on the grand scale of things, this award has about as much relevance as my 10m bronze swimming award?

Less, because presumably you got that award for coming in third at swimming, not because you're from England so someone from Mauritius assumed you had to be the best at it.

Bingo.

Article 6 : The Ballon d'or is allocated based on four main criteria:

a) All individual and collective performance (ranking) during the year;

B) Class Player (talent + fair play)

c) Career

d) Personality, radiation

Clarification on the 2012 circular:

Art. 3. The Awards are bestowed according to on-field performance and overall behaviour on and off the pitch.

http://pt.fifa.com/mm/document/ballond'or/general/01/90/01/20//rulesofallocation2012-en.pdf

Originally Posted by Alberta White

You mean that on the grand scale of things, this award has about as much relevance as my 10m bronze swimming award?

Originally Posted by Lord Bob

Less, because presumably you got that award for coming in third at swimming, not because you're from England so someone from Mauritius assumed you had to be the best at it.

Nope , just for completing 10meters without the need for a Lifeguard with a long pole to fish me out half way through!

Archived