Christine Sinclair suspended for 4 games and was imposed a fine of $3500 by FIFA

sincforpm

I support all what Sinclair said and how she felt. The Wambitches of the world together with the incompetent referees deserved it fully. Hey if it costs $3000 dollars to call these people s.o.bs. it is money well spent. The only thing that FIFA has done with this laughing decision is just highlighted it even more their failure to select and train officials properly and to look the other way when it is the money making U.S. team.

That gets to the heart of the matter. Poor officials who are too easily unfluenced by Reputation and intimdatory personalities.

Be interesting to see how the likes of Piere luigi Collina would have reffed that game.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two thoughts on this. First, four games is too much. This is as many games as John Terry... so what's the message here? I get that it is a different body, but you'd think there'd be some consistency.

But most of all, she called the ref corrupt. We should all see that that is wrong, and now she is paying the price. That's what happens when you shoot your mouth off. The ref made some bad calls, but calling her corrupt in the fashion that she did was wrong.

Two thoughts on this. First, four games is too much. This is as many games as John Terry... so what's the message here? I get that it is a different body, but you'd think there'd be some consistency.

But most of all, she called the ref corrupt. We should all see that that is wrong, and now she is paying the price. That's what happens when you shoot your mouth off. The ref made some bad calls, but calling her corrupt in the fashion that she did was wrong.

The situation has a classic tragic feel. Both parties acted in accordance with their roles and their roles differ congruently.

Sinclair should have said what she said. She spoke as the captain. She represented the truth of the team's experience.

In rendering their decision, FIFA also did what it should do. It allowed her the grace of playing out the tournament because they recognized the egregiousness of the referees game-calling. It also upheld the repute of the game by suspending her for making a statement that may be true, but was not as yet substantiated.

I'm still floored how another player can punch someone out during the Olympics like Andrade did to Wambach and just get two game. How does it make any sense?

Being suspended 2 games in the Olympics is a FAR more harsh penalty than getting suspended for 4 friendly matches.

Remember one thing, FIFA bases its discipline decisions on more than what shows up in the media.....they also base it on what is put in the referee's report. Who knows what was written in that report that might have been more damaging.

At the end of the day, Sinclair got off easy because FIFA decided to wait until after the Olympics to make a decision and for that reason, WNT fans should be thanking the CSA and FIFA, not getting all twisted into knots.

And yes, the CSA will pay her fine.

From Soccer America:

"According to FIFA regulations, suspensions from an incident in an official match typically carry over to the next set of games in an official competition, but since Canada will host the 2015 Women's World Cup and have no official matches between now and then, Sinclair's suspension will be served in Canada's next four friendly games."

And indeed, from the FIFA Disciplinary Code:

Carrying over match suspensions

38.2) Match suspensions in relation to an expulsion pronounced on a player outside of a competition (separate match[es]) or not served during the competition for which they were intended (elimination or the last match in the competition) are carried over as follows:

a) FIFA World Cup™: carried over to the representative team’s subsequent official match;

It would have been interesting to hear the committee debate the application of this; knowing full well her absence in the 2015 tournament would have cast a major league pall over the support for, build-up to, and success of the tournament here.

From Soccer America:

"According to FIFA regulations, suspensions from an incident in an official match typically carry over to the next set of games in an official competition, but since Canada will host the 2015 Women's World Cup and have no official matches between now and then, Sinclair's suspension will be served in Canada's next four friendly games."

And indeed, from the FIFA Disciplinary Code:

Carrying over match suspensions

38.2) Match suspensions in relation to an expulsion pronounced on a player outside of a competition (separate match[es]) or not served during the competition for which they were intended (elimination or the last match in the competition) are carried over as follows:

a) FIFA World Cup™: carried over to the representative team’s subsequent official match;

It would have been interesting to hear the committee debate the application of this; knowing full well her absence in the 2015 tournament would have cast a major league pall over the support for, build-up to, and success of the tournament here.

So FIFA now add Canadian Syrup to their recipe for Political Fudge. Good old FIFA !

What's interesting is the way it's written the "OR" could apply to either all or half of the first statement, i.e.

Match suspensions in relation to an expulsion pronounced on a player outside of a competition (separate match[es]) OR not served during the competition for which they were intended (elimination or the last match in the competition) are carried over as follows

Match suspensions in relation to an expulsion pronounced on a player outside of a competition (separate match[es]) OR not served during the competition for which they were intended (elimination or the last match in the competition) are carried over as follows

But either way the expulsion relates to her suspension, i.e. she is explulsed from four matches.

The joke of the day. Screw the CSA and FIFA.

Well, at least you are consistent. But I can assure you that, as a WNT fan, you should be thankful that the decision was made to defer the hearing until after the Olympics or you very likely wouldn't have had the feel good story of Canada winning bronze in London.

Being suspended 2 games in the Olympics is a FAR more harsh penalty than getting suspended for 4 friendly matches.

Remember one thing, FIFA bases its discipline decisions on more than what shows up in the media.....they also base it on what is put in the referee's report. Who knows what was written in that report that might have been more damaging.

At the end of the day, Sinclair got off easy because FIFA decided to wait until after the Olympics to make a decision and for that reason, WNT fans should be thanking the CSA and FIFA, not getting all twisted into knots.

And yes, the CSA will pay her fine.

Given what I've seen of the ref, I imagine the referee's report went something like this: " My BESTEST day EVER!!"

Indeed. Foul play is one thing. Bringing the game into disrepute, as per Terry and Suarez saga is another.

A punch whilst detesable, can be argued as reactionary and a spur of the moment thing. Comments have to be considered and tend to end up in the Press.

Good point. I don't think I really looked at it that way.

Sinclair is scheduled to speak this afternoon.

Well, at least you are consistent. But I can assure you that, as a WNT fan, you should be thankful that the decision was made to defer the hearing until after the Olympics or you very likely wouldn't have had the feel good story of Canada winning bronze in London.

Yes I guess I am consistent and proud of it. Is there any official word from FIFA that they postponed a decision until after the Olympics in this case? And so far as supporting the WNT I think I have been doing that for at least 10 years now. And our team is good enough to win against France with or without Sinclair had she been banned for that game.

Yes I guess I am consistent and proud of it. Is there any official word from FIFA that they postponed a decision until after the Olympics in this case? And so far as supporting the WNT I think I have been doing that for at least 10 years now. And our team is good enough to win against France with or without Sinclair had she been banned for that game.

Yes, FIFA did announce in London that they had opted to defer their decision until after the Olympics. That is NOT common. They have a discipline committee in place at major tournaments for JUST this sort of thing. For that reason, I suggest that CSA likely deserves some credit for getting FIFA to opt to deal with this later. I don't know this for fact but call it a gut feeling.

Final point...I have no desire to go off topic but I think you would be in a very small minority who thinks our team can beat France without Sinclair. WITH Sinclair they were the 2nd best side but the French just couldn't get a goal and we did....great for us but I'm not going to pretend that we were the better team on the day...just the side that got the goal when it counted

I'm surprised they can issue a fine for a competition in which players are not being payed to participate in.

They're not being paid to be there??? Every player on the WNT is compensated. They're not getting rich by any means (not even close) but they do get paid.

They're not being paid to be there??? Every player on the WNT is compensated. They're not getting rich by any means (not even close) but they do get paid.

They also get paid for every public appearance (CSA takes a cut) and their travel and accommodation are covered. They worked hard and deserve it.

Compensated yes, paid no. They get funded through carding etc. but the event itself doesn't pay like a league or playoffs etc.

I'm not sure if Canada gives money for winning a medal like some countries.

I've heard of suspensions and medals stripped but I'm not sure if I ever heard of a Olympian ever being fined before.

They also get paid for every public appearance (CSA takes a cut) and their travel and accommodation are covered. They worked hard and deserve it.

Having gone through the process to secure an appearance from a Women’s National Team player, I can tell you that 100% of the appearance fee goes to the player (no cut to CSA). This is something the CSA told me with pride. I appreciated it. Also know that the Canadian Olympic Committee takes 25% of an athlete’s appearance fee... not something I appreciated.

Yes everybody! Thats your tax dollars at work. So we should all reflext happily, safe in the knowledge that we all (me included as I pay my taxes here) all have ownership of the Side show Bob/ Cir du solaire Trampoline GOLD!

I'll take my shaving now, thank you very much!;)

It's a given that the majority of what the WNT exists on is tax dollars. The rest of what they exist on is guess work for even me until we see their current so called CSA player agreements or itemized program breakdowns based on gender.

AAP - Federal Athlete Assistance Program

Players are assisted financial via the AAP which comes from Sports Canada. The CSA selects which players are carded but the money comes from SC. The details are posted each year at Canadian Heritage. I've included the MNT for those that want to know.

WNT - http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/sc/pgm/apaa2-eng.cfm#t278

MNT - http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/sc/pgm/apaa2-eng.cfm#t224

Note: The AAP has a ceiling so those athletes that are able to professionally make more than around $50-60K don't get AAP. When Kerfoot stepped in the amount each player got directly out of that non CSA program kept them below the ceiling.

Appearance Fees - multiple sources (FIFA, CONCACAF, CSA, COC/OTP, Agent and Sponsors)

A. FIFA, CONCACAF & CSA - Appearance fees from these sources for the WC and Olympics have been contentious for several decades. It's been well documented that the WNT have not got appearance fees even though they have packed stadiums and qualified for the major TV events. There have been many TV and newspaper articles on promises from the CSA and many broken.

One of the latest was the WNT winning CONCACAF. FIFA gives the winners some money which in this case was about $300K. The team was still fighting with the CSA about their share or appearance fee even after they won. They maybe got $2K each while the CSA hired more staff.

No information on whether the WNT got anything appearance fees via the CSA from FIFA's tv revenue for this last WC and Olympics. Sports WGB make the majority of their revenue from the Olympics. FIFA has the extra revenue source of the WC. Each participating regional sporting body or national sporting body gets a portion of TV revenues.

B. COC/OTP - Appearances fees for showing up at COC events.

C. Agents - Most of the players now have agents who rep them for appearances.

D. Sponsors - Some players have prior player to sponsor agreements with sponsors for rep'ing their products. Some have agent rep'ed agreements.

Bonuses (taxable) - COC/OTP

Gold $20,000 (USA was $25K)

Silver $15,000

Bronze $10,000

Prize Money - CSA

Some articles talk about players getting a undisclosed amount called prize money for this Olympics

Pro Contracts -

In the past almost 50% of the WNT have some sort of pro contract with a team. Wages are not that great as an example the average of the old WSL was $32K. Pro defined that their pro team is only job they have during their season excluding NT duty.

No Pro Contracts -

Players live at home, go to school and pick up odd coaching jobs at clubs, school or run clinics. Some are able to do appearances as well

WNT Program Revenues -

Majority of their funding revenue is from outside of the CSA. This funding is restricted to be spent only the WNT programs only.

A- COC/OTP - funding is the biggest restricted funding. It's used for both the Olympics and Pan Am Games cycle.

Beijing - $1,308,500

London - $5,565,370

Rio - Est $8M

Because the funding is the majority of the WNT training budget, the cycles program is largely driven by the OTP staff meeting the WNT staff to come up with the cycles training program whether in Canada or overseas.

B CSA Funding -

Very little is known how the CSA funds the WNT program from other revenue streams like sponsors, membership fees, FIFA WC/Olympic revenues and etc. It would be great if the CSA broke their financials down like the USSF does by gender and program.

Although the CSA has to demonstrate to Sports Canada how they treat programs based on gender under Section 13 of the SFAF, it's doubtful we can see that annual filing.

Future is a CBA -

It's my hope that both the MNT and WNT will approach the CSA with a CBA in this new cycle to finally get everything ironed out. Both programs now have leverage and can get outside support (NT peers, PFA & FIFPro) to get the deal done with the CSA. A CBA is not only good for the present players going into WC or Olympics but also for those coming up in the NT programs who are trying to decide where to play NT and pro.

Note that Canada is the only G8 country in the world where FIFPro has no members.

• 1 month later...

Archived