Christine Sinclair suspended for 4 games and was imposed a fine of $3500 by FIFA

sincforpm

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 game ban (to be served in meaningless freindlies) and a $3000 for calling the Ref Corrupt after a show peice game.

She didn't call the Danish ref incompetent or unfit to officiate at that level, or even favoring the oposition due to their reputation. She said the ref had decided the outcome of the game before it started.

Forget FIFA's disciplinary board. In some juristriction she would have been facing charges for liable.

Seriously, it could have been a lot worse.

4 game ban (to be served in meaningless freindlies) and a $3000 for calling the Ref Corrupt after a show peice game.

She didn't call the Danish ref incompetent or unfit to officiate at that level, or even favoring the oposition due to their reputation. She said the ref had decided the outcome of the game before it started.

Forget FIFA's disciplinary board. In some juristriction she would have been facing charges for liable.

Seriously, it could have been a lot worse.

Where did you read that the suspension will be serve during friendlies?

From all I know, FIFA suspensions usually carry to the next FIFA official game, a WCQ or GC game.

Where did you read that the suspension will be serve during friendlies?

From all I know, FIFA suspensions usually carry to the next FIFA official game, a WCQ or GC game.

"Sinclair's fine is 3000 Swiss francs. She will be able to serve her suspension in friendly matches.

Retweeted by Edm Supporters Group "

Martin MacMahon‏@martinmacmahon Goal.com & MLSsoccer.com Whitecaps FC reporter. Sportsnet.ca contributor.

hope this is okay? confirmation from a Proper Jurno would help though.

"Sinclair's fine is 3000 Swiss francs. She will be able to serve her suspension in friendly matches.

Retweeted by Edm Supporters Group "

Martin MacMahon‏@martinmacmahon Goal.com & MLSsoccer.com Whitecaps FC reporter. Sportsnet.ca contributor.

hope this is okay? confirmation from a Proper Jurno would help though.

Thanks. Of course a proper confirmation would be better because our next official games are in 2015 since I don't think we'll be allowed to participate in the Gold Cup.

Secondly, it is probably doubtful that those CSA scumbags will appeal on Sinc's behalf but at least they should pay the fine.

While they said in their release they won't be further commenting, they did say 'Canadian Soccer Association has requested the reasons for judgement from the FIFA Disciplinary Committee.' I think there's a possibility of an appeal? However, if Sinclair didn't want to back down from her comments or apologize, I don't think there's much that can be appealed.

The team and Sinclair will move on, but I think the frustrating thing is it took two months to find a resolution.

FIFA was in a tough position. If they do nothing then they could expect more of the same type of criticism of match officials. The punishment is really quite mild and it was not immediate so Sinclair was allowed to play in the Bronze Medal match. It will be interesting to see if the official in the US match ever refs a high level game again or if a goalie is " punished" for time wasting. It might also mean that Abby's counting behaviour in the future might be punished as an attempt to intimidate a ref.

Another prime example of FIFA looking in all the wrong places for what is the root cause of the game not gaining more traction with the masses. Typical FIFA Mafia.

Would be interesting to know exactly the wording of the FIFA suspension if they are talking about any games whether she is doing national or pro duties. Also, if they include closed or open friendlies too. Would be great to get the suspension out of the way before the 4 Nations Cup or the Cypress Cup.

Typical CSA as they will not want to rock the boat on this one. Hopefully the CSA pay the fine as it's not like the players make a whole lot of appearance fees or got major bonuses for their Bronze Medals. Maybe the COC will have to bail out the CSA on this one ;)

It's not that I find the judgement all that surprising if it were taken in a vacuum. But paired with the other comments that went unpunished (like Wombat's talk of intimidating the ref with the countdowns), I find this to be almost as selective as the calls on the field.

+1

That was rather predictable, they had no option. As someone said the precedent in sport for not sanctioning for the "made up her mind before the game" comment is incendiary. Sport bodies have to protect the sport. And before someone jumps on that and say's then they should give better refereeing, sure. Of course. But in the disciplinary process actions are evaluated individually.

Four is a boo-boo slap on the wrist, it's nothing, and it actually works out well to give our younger plays time in the jersey which we should be doing anyway. And we're lucky FIFA let her play in the Cup, that was a gift from them. But now it gets interesting. Christine Sinclair will doubtless be on the World Player-of-the-Year shortlist, and unless unless she's blacklisted by FIFA when they compile the votes, she'll be one of the finalists onsite. Then she has the opportunity for her comeuppance. It doesn't have to be something as gauche and unintelligent as a Mario Balotelli's "Why Always Me" wifebeater. Perhaps something subtle and apropos on the dress.

I support all what Sinclair said and how she felt. The Wambitches of the world together with the incompetent referees deserved it fully. Hey if it costs $3000 dollars to call these people s.o.bs. it is money well spent. The only thing that FIFA has done with this laughing decision is just highlighted it even more their failure to select and train officials properly and to look the other way when it is the money making U.S. team.

That was rather predictable, they had no option. As someone said the precedent in sport for not sanctioning for the "made up her mind before the game" comment is incendiary. Sport bodies have to protect the sport. And before someone jumps on that and say's then they should give better refereeing, sure. Of course. But in the disciplinary process actions are evaluated individually.

Four is a boo-boo slap on the wrist, it's nothing, and it actually works out well to give our younger plays time in the jersey which we should be doing anyway. And we're lucky FIFA let her play in the Cup, that was a gift from them. But now it gets interesting. Christine Sinclair will doubtless be on the World Player-of-the-Year shortlist, and unless unless she's blacklisted by FIFA when they compile the votes, she'll be one of the finalists onsite. Then she has the opportunity for her comeuppance. It doesn't have to be something as gauche and unintelligent as a Mario Balotelli's "Why Always Me" wifebeater. Perhaps something subtle and apropos on the dress.

I agree with your assessment, a tough one for FIFA because Sinclair is a marquee player and there aren't that many of them. They had to show something but they don't want to hurt themselves too much by taking her out of any important matches.

After all she puts bums in seats. I'm sure that FIFA would expect that CSA would be paying the fine as well.

SINCLAIR THE SCAPEGOAT

It may be the Fall season and Canada’s symbol may be a dead leaf, but don’t expect us to meekly accept FIFA’s judgements. Christine Sinclair has been banned for any four CSA games and has been fined $3 500. Craig Forrest calls the punishment “a slap on the wrist,” while the CSA says it will pick up the fine. However the critical matter is that FIFA maintains that its disciplinary committee has examined charges of "unsporting behaviour" against Sinclair alone. Meanwhile we await the details of the judgement which the CSA has requested.

Sinclair let the referee know that she had erred in calling the rarely (if ever) 6 second goalkeeper rule, and after the match she said that the Canadian team felt cheated. The comments and post-match interviews may have involved unsportsmanlike behaviour, but it is important to view the the context of the game to understand what happened and why.

Pederson should not have been refereeing this match. She was out of her depth. If you like, FIFA was unsportsmanlike in giving her a game in which she struggled. She has continued to struggle back home in Norway in the Toppserein league where she recently gave a controversial red card for "phantom contact." She does not understand how a referee should apply the spirit of football law, as opposed to adhering to the strict letter of the law. The six second rule is a law of the game, but it should not have been used in this semi-final Olympics match..

FIFA may even have a conflict of interest in hearing the case. A FIFA referees’ panel appointed Pedersen to the match. Has FIFA investigated to see if there were expectations for this game of which the referee was made aware? The United States was meant to win the game - they have not lost to Canada for 6 years. American fans had bought most of the Wembley final seats, hotels were booked, transportation arranged. Even the crass "Greatness has been Achieved" T shirts had been made. Perhaps nothing explicit was said, but expectations are another matter.

Why has Christine Sinclair been singled out for unsportsmanlike behaviour? Where are Erin McLeod and Melissa Tancredi who said similar things? Where is Wambaugh, perhaps the instigator of the whole affair, as she heckled and pressured the referee. Surely this is referee abuse of the worst kind, and surely it counts as unsportsmanlike behaviour. Why is FIFA not dealing with it? Why did the referee not deal with it at the time?

Why has Sinclair been made a scapegoat? She scored a brilliant hat trick in what has been called the “greatest game ever played in women's football.” Are the fine and the (light) suspension a means to expiate the sins of all those who played in the game? Why was she allowed no representation at the FIFA hearing?

For once, mild-mannered Canada is standing up to be counted…

I think this situation has actually (shockingly) been handled pretty well by FIFA. They avoided a big controversy by waiting to give the suspension until after the Olympics, giving Sinclair the benefit of the doubt for a comment that was obviously brought on by the passion of the moment. However, what she said was inexcusable you can't accuse a ref of "deciding the outcome of the game before it had started" without any credible reasoning.

As has been said I don't really think it will hurt the team at all, just give a few youngsters a chance to get some experience playing in what I'm sure will be a very heavy schedule of friendlies over the next 3 years preparing for the World Cup.

That was between two players. This is someone hitting at FIFA.

Indeed. Foul play is one thing. Bringing the game into disrepute, as per Terry and Suarez saga is another.

A punch whilst detesable, can be argued as reactionary and a spur of the moment thing. Comments have to be considered and tend to end up in the Press.

Anyone remember Dicanio's push on the Ref? That got a lengthy ban that did. Also Cantona's "physical demonstration" of Kicking Racism into touch.

Archived