Game 5Canada vs Cuba Oct 12th WCQ (Anything less than a win is unacceptable)

Canada1

2 yellows from any two games. So for instance a yellow in game 2 at Canada and a yellow in game 5 at Panama gets either Figueroa or Sabillon suspended for game 6 at home against Canada.

So the following players cannot get a yellow against Cuba or they miss playing against Honduras:

Ante JAZIC

Kevin McKENNA

Olivier OCCEAN

Simeon JACKSON

How do you think this will impact the way Canada will play vs Cuba? Do you expect a "cleaner" game by our MNT?

What Honduran players are in card trouble?

Listed in the Panama-Honduras game thread:

Maynor FIGUEROA

Mauricio SABILLON

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/nccamerica/matches/round=258368/match=300181902/report.html

The Cubans have four yellows (but this is of little relevance because none are suspended against us):

Carlos FRANCISCO

Reisandry FERNANDEZ

Alberto GOMEZ

Jorge CORRALES

A Maynor yellow vs Panama would be great, he was easily Honduras's best player vs us at BMO and as a CB in Panama a yellow is a strong possibility.
Figueroa is a beast, no doubt. A yellow vs. Panama is certainly a possibility, and his exclusion from our final game will be a huge help for us.

Anyone else feel like the excitement hasn't really hit yet? Before the Cuba and Honduras games in June I got really amped up and excited weeks before, same for the Panama games. Maybe it's just cause I haven't had enough time to get over the Panama games yet, but I haven't really got it into my head how big these games are yet...I'm hoping that'll change after the roster is announced.

Anyone else feel like the excitement hasn't really hit yet? Before the Cuba and Honduras games in June I got really amped up and excited weeks before, same for the Panama games. Maybe it's just cause I haven't had enough time to get over the Panama games yet, but I haven't really got it into my head how big these games are yet...I'm hoping that'll change after the roster is announced.

I've been getting off-on nervous/anxious for the past 2 weeks. These games are HUGE.

I think people are taking Cuba too lightly. Most of their games have been close.

If Honduras lose in Panama then a draw against Cuba is effectively the same as a one goal win (unless Honduras get beaten by three goals or more) - in both cases we would advance with a win or a draw and go out with a loss.

A win would do a lot for our confidence though.

As long as Hart and the players aren't taking Cuba lightly, I don't think they will be! If we can't beat Cuba on a cool fall night in Toronto then I really don't like our chances of getting something in Honduras!

By the way, WN predicting high of 13C and low of 6C for Friday Oct 12th. If it's about 10C during the game i think we'll be in good hands as the Cubans rarely get anything below 20C back home.

edit: The forecast for Oct 12th was downgraded today to high of 11C and low of 3C. Looks like we'll probably get single digits!

Will Cuba sent their best players to Canada? I wouldn't be surprised if they don't bring their best players in fear of them "running away" from the team and not return back to Cuba.

Plus you add in the weather effect, this could be a game where Canada will come out scoring 2-3 goals. :)

What should we do about the defection factor? Is it fair game to make fun of with banners/chants? Should we offer/set-up somebody willing to drive players to the US border. If any V drives a Cuban to the US, I swear I will send you gas money! ;)

If anyone from Homeland Security or the INS is lurking, I will turn him in for a case of Throwback Pepsi. :-)

What should we do about the defection factor? Is it fair game to make fun of with banners/chants? Should we offer/set-up somebody willing to drive players to the US border. If any V drives a Cuban to the US border, I swear I will send you gas money! ;)

I'm sure you are probably joking but making fun of Cubans defecting is in poor taste imo and I hope we don't do anything like that. I just don't think its called for, its a ****ty situation for Cuban sports to have to deal with and to be honest I think it would probably piss off the Cubans and lead to them fighting a bit harder in a game that means nothing to them. We haven't had any trouble/history with the Cubans, they have 0 points and 0 goals if I'm not mistaken and good chance they are going to be lieing down in this game, no need to heap more sorrow outside of the scoreboard.

I'm sure you are probably joking but making fun of Cubans defecting is in poor taste imo and I hope we don't do anything like that. I just don't think its called for, its a ****ty situation for Cuban sports to have to deal with and to be honest I think it would probably piss off the Cubans and lead to them fighting a bit harder in a game that means nothing to them. We haven't had any trouble/history with the Cubans, they have 0 points and 0 goals if I'm not mistaken and good chance they are going to be lieing down in this game, no need to heap more sorrow outside of the scoreboard.

I don't really care if it's in poor taste, fans should do what they want and there's no reason we have to be nice Canadian hosts! I love Cuba, I vacation there regularily but Havana was a real different experience! When our bus was getting near the stadium and the people realised we were Canadian, several of them gave the throat slash gesture! I never really felt threatened but it goes to show, all is fair in football!

Archived