Did TSN go too far with the comments on Wambach and Solo?

sincforpm

As much as it was fun watching the TSN interview with Canwnt yesterday, the host might have gone a bit too far by calling Wambach and Solo the bitchiest soccer players. I do agree with the comments but saying this out in the public may not be appropriate. Canwnt is now taking a lot of heat for this.

As much as it was fun watching the TSN interview with Canwnt yesterday, the host might have gone a bit too far by calling Wambach and Solo the bitchiest soccer players. I do agree with the comments but saying this out in the public may not be appropriate. Canwnt is now taking a lot of heat for this.

I didn't see it, can you put it in context for us? Who said it, what was the discussion? Not like I need another reason to not watch TSN, the dummies they hire because they're supposed to be "funny" are insanely annoying. Dan O'Toole, Steve Kouleous, Jay Onrait, etc...

I totally agree and I found the host of this interview extremely arrogant, rude and annoying. I only watch it because Canwnt was in it. TSN have this interview in four parts on their website. I would like to post the link on this but I do not know how to do it. Here is what he said:

“just so you guys know the latest rankings for bitchiest us women’s soccer players are now out. abby wambach has a slight lead over hope solo with carli lloyd now known as flat head trailing in third” - reporter

“why does she have a flat head?” - sincy

“are we allowed to laugh at that?” - gale

“i wish she had a flat head at least.. to prove i did it” - tanc

Because the Canwnt innocently played along with this, they are now taking all the heat on it.

TSN has always had the biggest losers around working for them! Not only amateurish but I'm pretty sure none of them have ever kicked a ball or picked-up a hockey stick in their life. If they hired people by picking resumes out of a pile at random, they couldn't do any worse. A bit like the crew doing the FSR/Fox Soccer News on Fox Soccer Channel today, but with FOX its totally understandable since its a niche channel on a small budget.

The context is that it was on Off The Record, and the "reporter" in question was the host, Michael Landsberg. Anyone who's watched the show for the past decade knows that there are always plenty of efforts to be "edgy" or "controversial" -- at least, as edgy and controversial as one can be in a prime-time slot on a national network.

Having not seen the show live, I don't know where those comments came from, why he made them, or whether he was quoting somebody. To be perfectly honest, I cringed when I heard him using the word "bitchiest" in reference to Wambach/Solo, regardless of what one may think of those players. It just doesn't seem an appropriate thing for him to say.

The players, for their part, laughed at it -- because they're guests on a show, and like when you're a guest in someone's house and they tell a joke, you laugh, not necessarily because you think it's funny but because you're being polite.

I don't know if the CanWNT is "taking a lot of heat", unless you mean a bunch of USWNT fans taking the time to find the clips specifically so they can feel outraged and vent on social media about it. Maybe there's been reaction beyond that, but I haven't seen it.

In any event, it was an ill-advised comment and reaction, I think, but nothing that's going to have any long-term impact on Landsberg or any of the players.

I fully support the players interviewed and they have nothing to be concerned about. The host spoke the truth and at least two of the US players admitted to had influenced the referee. I am still disgusted with the total lack of fair play by the US. Our girls said in the interview the US players are arrogant.

I totally agree and I found the host of this interview extremely arrogant, rude and annoying. I only watch it because Canwnt was in it. TSN have this interview in four parts on their website. I would like to post the link on this but I do not know how to do it. Here is what he said:

just so you guys know the latest rankings for bitchiest us womens soccer players are now out. abby wambach has a slight lead over hope solo with carli lloyd now known as flat head trailing in third - reporter

why does she have a flat head? - sincy

are we allowed to laugh at that? - gale

i wish she had a flat head at least.. to prove i did it - tanc

Because the Canwnt innocently played along with this, they are now taking all the heat on it.

Wow. Michael Landsberg is an idiot.

“just so you guys know the latest rankings for bitchiest us women’s soccer players are now out. abby wambach has a slight lead over hope solo with carli lloyd now known as flat head trailing in third” - reporter

“why does she have a flat head?” - sincy

“are we allowed to laugh at that?” - gale

“i wish she had a flat head at least.. to prove i did it” - tanc

If anything they two sides should work together to play this up.

It's the only way to scam attention out of whores like Lansberg and all the American equivalents.

In a world where most media attention is both transitory and utterly facile, I actually like a guy like Landsberg who brings athletes onto his show and then, right to their faces, proceeds to try and stir up ****. He's not the most well-informed guy in the world but he at least does homework on the quick-Google level, which is more than you can say about most television hosts, and he doesn't just go on about how winning a bronze medal must have been a great moment and they must be so proud and Christine, were you upset not to beat the Americans after scoring a hat trick against them?

^What he said re: Landsberg.

Aside from the girls the other day, I haven't watched OTR in over a decade. I used to be a regular viewer until they went from three guests to four and the fourth always seemed to be some annoying Toronto DJ that nobody in the ROC ever heard of (so I stopped watching).

And no, TSN (Landsberg) didn't go too far. The Americans deserve everything they get.

TSN have this interview in four parts on their website. I would like to post the link on this but I do not know how to do it.
Catch an abbreviated version of OTR on the TSN Broadband Stream

Erin singing (OTR @1:05), I've seen some Youtube videos of her singing and she should give the ol' Canadian Idol a try.

Archived