Panama - CANADA 11th Sep, 2012.....WCQ Brazil(R)

canadianfoot

Well, reality check. This defense rolled over faster than a cheap hoo... F@k that sucked!

Honduras and Panama will probably tie at which point we'll need only a tie in Honduras, but this defense cannot stand against any kind of real pressure. So you know that won't stand in Honduras.

If Panama decides to help Honduras and lets then win or we don't score against Cuba. We'll you know... No hex, no world cup, low FIFA rankings and a hard group like this next time around.

Confidence level is really low right now.

I doubt Panama will fold for Honduras too risky with the group setup. Cuba is a must and we pray pray a lot .....

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I'm not sure there's a single situation where qualification is not in our own hands. By my rough, unofficial mathematics, win in Honduras and we're through regardless of all other results, with only the one worst case scenario (we lose to Cuba, Honduras beats Panama) having to be decided on goal difference.

Other results can make things a lot easier though. Thankfully the more logical, expected results work in our favour and may require us to only need to draw in Honduras.

The main thing is by the last game, we'll still have a chance, and we'll know exactly what we need to do.

We sucked, granted. But so many here seem to be giving in with their "see you in 2018" comments. We've never been this far in 15 years, let's enjoy it. We will beat Cuba and if Panama does its job at home, we could only need a draw and possibly a narrow loss to advance. Here's hoping for a big win by both us and Panama next time out.

Yes, agreed. To hell with the naysayers. We didn't 'suck' until the 2nd goal when it was game over. People should turn the sound down and watch the game. Even with DeRo out we were finding chances despite the setbacks. Occean's loss was big and then for DeRo to go out, we were really hurt. Nonetheless, we still had chances to tie the game into the 2nd half. Johnson has been such a worker in midfield and it was clear we couldn't control that part of the field tonight. Bernier was particularly poor on set pieces, where we have our best chances to put the ball in the net. We still control our own destiny. A win against Cuba puts us into a position to advance on final match day, something we haven't seen in recent qualifying cycles. A full squad and I like our chances.

I was very surprised Hart went with 4-4-2, presumably to soak up Panama pressure and use speed to hit on counter. Epic fail.

Canada had success against Panama in Toronto because 3 central mids clogged up the area Panama likes to play the ball at, esp with quick one-twos to get the Canada defence off balance. Hutchinson barely got involved in the game as he was playing too far back, because JDG just isn't good enough to clean up the DM by himself; he's most effective with another partner to help him out.

Bernier was absolute junk. Ledgerwood would have played better. Edgar had one of most horrid games in a long time. Are we sure that the lads got good enough sleep? Because everything that the lads did seemed so lethargic, and there was none of the fight we saw in Toronto when the lads fought for every 50-50 ball and won a lot of that duel. That first Panama goal was just Panama player wanting more, and I know McKenna got hurt a little on that play, but man. Conceding on setpiece like that hurt.

De Jong is about the only player who came out of this game with any sort of credibility, because the rest of the squad just weren't good enough. Maybe just didn't want it more than Panama.

Very disappointed with the result, even though I knew that coming out of Panama with at least a point was a long shot, but just the lack of desire really made me mad. At least the ref didn't screw over Canada.

- Nobody marking the far post on the first goal was pure amateurish nonsense that even ten year olds know better about

- Hainault HAS to abandon his position and attack that man closing in on Lars on the second goal. He doesn't, which forces Lars out of position and it's easy picking from there.

- Now THAT was the nervous-looking and sloppy Bernier I remember in a Canadian jersey. What a disappointment.

- How nice would it have been to have at least one more attacking option after we lost Occean and DDR? Was I the only one thinking that REB (or Teibert even) would have been a nice option to replace Jackson or Ricketts instead of Pacheco? We had an unused squad spot even before we lost Johnson and Occean. Stupid, stupid call by the top brass to not max out the roster and fill the missing bodies. Heck we could have cap-tied him tonight for that matter.

- None of Jackson or Ricketts or DeJong have played consecutive 90 min matches in eons. It was inevitable that the tanks would be empty far sooner than we wanted.

- The midfield had no bite, And ironically, on a night when the ref refreshingly kept the cards in the pocket, we decided to abandon what had been our bread-and-butter tactics, the bone crunching tackles, the odd foot left in, hard shoulders off the ball. Man, did we miss Johnson. He's even more valuable than a long-time fan like I ever thought.

- The midfield had no possession and nervously played it into dangerous positions when we did string a few passes together.

- Two words - Shaight Sandwich

I was very surprised Hart went with 4-4-2, presumably to soak up Panama pressure and use speed to hit on counter. Epic fail.

Canada had success against Panama in Toronto because 3 central mids clogged up the area Panama likes to play the ball at, esp with quick one-twos to get the Canada defence off balance. Hutchinson barely got involved in the game as he was playing too far back, because JDG just isn't good enough to clean up the DM by himself; he's most effective with another partner to help him out.

Bernier was absolute junk. Ledgerwood would have played better. Edgar had one of most horrid games in a long time. Are we sure that the lads got good enough sleep? Because everything that the lads did seemed so lethargic, and there was none of the fight we saw in Toronto when the lads fought for every 50-50 ball and won a lot of that duel. That first Panama goal was just Panama player wanting more, and I know McKenna got hurt a little on that play, but man. Conceding on setpiece like that hurt.

De Jong is about the only player who came out of this game with any sort of credibility, because the rest of the squad just weren't good enough. Maybe just didn't want it more than Panama.

Very disappointed with the result, even though I knew that coming out of Panama with at least a point was a long shot, but just the lack of desire really made me mad. At least the ref didn't screw over Canada.

Was wondering the same

Guys knocking the 4-4-2 it wasn't really that bad a decision when we had DeRo, but DeRo was going to be the key to that formation. DeRo is by far our most creative offensive player and I'd imagine he was going to have a free roll and mainly play fairly close to the midfield with the ability to drift to where he can be most effective primarily by picking up the ball or playing off of Simeons runs which should have created space.

Problem is without OO we can't play an outlet ball up to Jackson have him hold it up and allow other players to be brought into the play, since Jackson can't really win and hold balls he needs through balls so by having DeRo closer it allows us to have more offense without a target man. Once DeRo went down we were ****ed, Jackson and Ricketts are too similar and too one dimensional to be playing together, and without a target man its always going to be difficult to play a 4-3-3 with the players we have. I think tactically it wasn't a bad choice with the players available, the main issue was our offensive depth this round was very thin and especially with Simpson out, and Issey off form (I would have called him anyways) we don't have any creative attackers really, we have sprinters and mainly defensive CM's, Hutch is creative and can pass well but his passing range is probably one of his weaknesses and with 2 sprinters and no link up creative midfielders it does'nt play to his strengths. Our depth really hurt us today, that was the biggest weakness just pisses me off because Hoilett and JDG2 are the missing peaces, but **** them for not stepping up.

Guys knocking the 4-4-2 it wasn't really that bad a decision when we had DeRo, but DeRo was going to be the key to that formation. DeRo is by far our most creative offensive player and I'd imagine he was going to have a free roll and mainly play fairly close to the midfield with the ability to drift to where he can be most effective primarily by picking up the ball or playing off of Simeons runs which should have created space.

Problem is without OO we can't play an outlet ball up to Jackson have him hold it up and allow other players to be brought into the play, since Jackson can't really win and hold balls he needs through balls so by having DeRo closer it allows us to have more offense without a target man.

This ^^^ and

- How nice would it have been to have at least one more attacking option after we lost Occean and DDR? Was I the only one thinking that REB (or Teibert even) would have been a nice option to replace Jackson or Ricketts instead of Pacheco? We had an unused squad spot even before we lost Johnson and Occean. Stupid, stupid call by the top brass to not max out the roster and fill the missing bodies. Heck we could have cap-tied him tonight for that matter.

THIS^^^

It ain't over we can even lose to Cuba game as long as Panama beats Honduras. That's right we can loose to Cuba too as long as Panama Beats Cuba then it will still be to the Final Game in Honduras.

Perhaps more importantly, Canada can lose to Honduras and still qualify. That's why it was important that Honduras only beat Cuba by 1 goal.

Hopefully Panama goes all out for the win against Honduras (ideally a 2-goal win). They could be dicks and play for a draw though since that's really all they need.

To have the luxury of losing against Honduras and still qualify, we must beat Cuba by 5 goals while Honduras must lose 2 - 0 as you said. Then, Canada could lose by a goal difference no more than 2. It doesn't seem realistic.

By my calculation they would "only" have to beat Cuba by 3 if Honduras lose 2-nil.

If:

Canada wins by 3, it's +3 goal difference. Honduras lose by 2, it's 0 goal difference.

Then Canada can lose to Honduras by no more than 1 goal.

Correct, we need at minimum a 5 goal swing in the first game next round and then we have the cushion to lose by 1 and go through. We need to put at least 3 or 4 by Cuba, if we can get an early goal and play all out attacking we can break them and putting 5 past them is possible, although typically Canada never has found a way to blow bad teams out. Hart going to need to call in more forwards next round, I don't care if they are inexperienced or barely playing we are going to need offense off the bench in both games, hopefully guys not playing right now like Friend and Hume and Issey can get games and find form in the next month because we desperately need some depth especially when we are going to have to do our best to run up the score vs Cuba.

Sup guys, as I said Panama is still in control of our own destiny, it was kind of weird that we felt so outraged for the lost at BMO, but it was not the lost but the way that it was.

I don´t know if the harassing of the fans or what, but Canada played like they have no histamine, to get a number this was the first game in this WCQ in which Panama have over 60% of ball possession, tow good goals,

Anyway we can even tie with Honduras and still have a very good chance, but I feel like this team just want to keep winning,

Good Luck Canada and hopefully we will see you again in the Hex

Sup guys, as I said Panama is still in control of our own destiny, it was kind of weird that we felt so outraged for the lost at BMO, but it was not the lost but the way that it was.

I don´t know if the harassing of the fans or what, but Canada played like they have no histamine, to get a number this was the first game in this WCQ in which Panama have over 60% of ball possession, tow good goals,

Anyway we can even tie with Honduras and still have a very good chance, but I feel like this team just want to keep winning,

Good Luck Canada and hopefully we will see you again in the Hex

I really hope to see eachother in the HEX

Cheers

Archived