Post match comments from derofan

derofan

Hey guys so as all of you i watched the game yesterday but a couple things still bother me first we had no real chances in front of the net besides the corners and that one luck set play that resulted in the goal.. The point is that we cannot create chances in front of goal and this worries me in normal play. Lets face it the goal we scored was kind of lucky but ill take it.

That being said when we scored you saw a tremendous amount of pressure from panama to push up front and it started to look like the gold cup when they kept pressing and dominating the play in the second half and we were getting sloppy in our own end. What i am getting at is our boys need to be more crisp in their passing and more hungry. In panama the refs will be giving out cards like crazy I would love a tie or a win but if panama presses like they did in the second half on sept7th we are in serious trouble.. I mean we leave one lone striker up front to bring down the ball and distribute against like what 4 defenders that has a 10% chance of success ( this happens when panama presses). I really hope for a tie but my gut says if we cannot create chances in regular play and convert at least 1 we are doomed for this game ( hope im wrong) what are you thoughts

Hey guys so as all of you i watched the game yesterday but a couple things still bother me first we had no real chances in front of the net besides the corners and that one luck set play that resulted in the goal.. The point is that we cannot create chances in front of goal and this worries me in normal play. Lets face it the goal we scored was kind of lucky but ill take it.

That being said when we scored you saw a tremendous amount of pressure from panama to push up front and it started to look like the gold cup when they kept pressing and dominating the play in the second half and we were getting sloppy in our own end. What i am getting at is our boys need to be more crisp in their passing and more hungry. In panama the refs will be giving out cards like crazy I would love a tie or a win but if panama presses like they did in the second half on sept7th we are in serious trouble.. I mean we leave one lone striker up front to bring down the ball and distribute against like what 4 defenders that has a 10% chance of success ( this happens when panama presses). I really hope for a tie but my gut says if we cannot create chances in regular play and convert at least 1 we are doomed for this game ( hope im wrong) what are you thoughts

I agree that we don't create that many chances, and we struggle to finish the ones we create, but we do have a few things going for us:

1. We're solid defensively.

2. We're quite dangerous on corners.

3. Our keeper situation is about as solid as I can remember it being since Forrest.

Is our team without deficiencies? No, of course not. But, the optimist would say that we are 1 or 2 offensively gifted players away from being very, very dangerous. That's not a horrible place to be ... especially since we know that we have at least 1 young, offensively talented, player deciding between us and Jamaica.

I'd agree that these are all fair criticisms of our squad right now. I'd suggest that you are off in your thoughts that they weren't hungry enough or need to be hungrier. The first half of game 1 was one of the scrappiest, hardest working halves I've seen any team play in a long while. They hounded and swarmed the Panamanians every time they touched the ball. I thought DeGuz was especially effective in doing this. I thought they played as a team that knew this was a must-win, and for some was their last realistic kick at the can at the WC. If they play with the exact same passion as they did last night in Panama and lose, we can't be that upset as they really are giving it everything they have out there. I have nothing but good things to say about the hunger in the squad for success.

"and that one luck set play that resulted in the goal.."

Sorry you lost me there. Luck as in Jackson beating his man 1 on 1 and charging at the box forcing a clumsy challenge by the second defender? Luck as in Hutch having the focus mentally and the touch technically to lob a beautiful chip 20 yards to a wide open DeRo? Luck as in DeRo having the calm finish to side foot the ball into the wide open net? Luck? No, that was not luck. That was a mental lapse on their part and a great play all around on our part. Go tell Barcelona that they are just lucky. They do that play all the time.

Aside from that yes we need to improve a lot in attack and score some from run of play but look at all the clean sheets we've got recently. That is very solid.

Sorry you lost me there. Luck as in Jackson beating his man 1 on 1 and charging at the box forcing a clumsy challenge by the second defender? Luck as in Hutch having the focus mentally and the touch technically to lob a beautiful chip 20 yards to a wide open DeRo? Luck as in DeRo having the calm finish to side foot the ball into the wide open net? Luck? No, that was not luck. That was a mental lapse on their part and a great play all around on our part. Go tell Barcelona that they are just lucky. They do that play all the time.

Aside from that yes we need to improve a lot in attack and score some from run of play but look at all the clean sheets we've got recently. That is very solid.

True and i agree but even the comentators said it those plays rarely work i give hutch credit for finding dero alone but they cant use that in panama since they will be aware and what do you have to say about panamas pressure when the heat is on? I love our mnt but pressure like that will make us lose in panama we need to control play from the get go whether or not we score a goal

I'd agree that these are all fair criticisms of our squad right now. I'd suggest that you are off in your thoughts that they weren't hungry enough or need to be hungrier. The first half of game 1 was one of the scrappiest, hardest working halves I've seen any team play in a long while. They hounded and swarmed the Panamanians every time they touched the ball. I thought DeGuz was especially effective in doing this. I thought they played as a team that knew this was a must-win, and for some was their last realistic kick at the can at the WC. If they play with the exact same passion as they did last night in Panama and lose, we can't be that upset as they really are giving it everything they have out there. I have nothing but good things to say about the hunger in the squad for success.

I agree with that assessment but in the second half we lacked the intensity of the first half therefore we werent as hungry as i put it and what is you opinion on the pressure panama puts on when they are down. that doesnt trouble you?

because it does for me.. I am very proud of our 5 clean sheets but sustaining that much pressure may break us and in panama is the wrong place for that to happen we need to be menatally more tough and organized in the back in these situations because last night there were some close calls

If we Qualify for the Hex (or even the WC) based on stingy defence and set pieces alone we wouldn't be the first team to do it... a win is a win is a win. That being said, yes, I can't remember the last time we scored a goal from open play against a credible opponent (the Dunfield goal against Ecuador last year sticks out in my mind as probably the last one). That is an issue, but given the players at our disposal (at the moment), I think we're maximizing our strengths and doing what we have to to get results.

If we Qualify for the Hex (or even the WC) based on stingy defence and set pieces alone we wouldn't be the first team to do it... a win is a win is a win. That being said, yes, I can't remember the last time we scored a goal from open play against a credible opponent (the Dunfield goal against Ecuador last year sticks out in my mind as probably the last one). That is an issue, but given the players at our disposal (at the moment), I think we're maximizing our strengths and doing what we have to to get results.

Is Cuba a credible opponent? Because we scored from open play against them. But I see what you are saying. We lack a little in the creativity department and that's a bit surprising because we have players who are good art it at the club level.

Yes, exactly, we wouldn't be the first, nor the last, team to use this "strategy".

I think we are conflating two separate things: if we are talking about making the Hex, and maybe even a WC (things we haven't done in a while) then we should be very proud of how far the team seems to have come, even if we have some offensive deficiencies. If we are talking about really becoming an elite team in CONCACAF, and a consistent WC participant then, yes, we need to have more of a cutting edge.

BUT, let's walk before we run here, and not sell ourselves short. Besides, even 1 really good finisher, or creative player, would change the entire complexion of our team so, in some sense, we aren't as far away as it may seem at first.

There was no luck last night. 99.9% of players would not even have thought to do what Hutch and DeRo did. Fantastic play. We have some very intellegent and skilled players.

I think a lot is to be said for underestimating Panama's defensive organization. Even when Canada was most in control of the game, big credit should be given to Panama for how tough and together they were in their final third. Quick on their feet, quick to the ball, closing down pressure like crazy...but at times a little weak in the air and because they were so tough in the middle, they were at times letting people down the wings out wide.

Not saying they aren't beatable, because they were leaving themselves quite vulnerable to quality crosses, our crosses were usually just a little too long, but in the middle of the park, Panama did an amazing job. It wasn't just about Canada's shortcomings, in other words.

I think a lot is to be said for underestimating Panama's defensive organization. Even when Canada was most in control of the game, big credit should be given to Panama for how tough and together they were in their final third. Quick on their feet, quick to the ball, closing down pressure like crazy...but at times a little weak in the air and because they were so tough in the middle, they were at times letting people down the wings out wide.

Not saying they aren't beatable, because they were leaving themselves quite vulnerable to quality crosses, our crosses were usually just a little too long, but in the middle of the park, Panama did an amazing job. It wasn't just about Canada's shortcomings, in other words.

Mid 2000s Honduras 2.0. They have some very strong physical players in 50-50s on the deck.

Interesting, for a team that has earned recent success through stronger defensive organization, their coach is a former star striker for the country.

Set play service and conversion is the key. Like the Honduras match, we generated great chances there.

I still think this will go down to the sixth and final match as the group decider.

Except if we draw in Panama, since 10 points will leave us out and 11 should put us through in most cases. Or draw vs. Honduras. We need a win vs. Cuba and another draw and even then are going to be tight.

We take a point from Panama and we're at 8 and Pan and Hon with 7. We then beat Cuba to take 11 points going into the last round. They take points from each other and I think either way it works for us.

If Honduras wins they'll have 10 with a game left and Panama can't catch us at 7, we're through.

If Panama beat Hon after drawing on Tues they they'll have 10 with a game left and Honduras can't catch us staying at 7, we're through.

If they draw then it gets tricky, they'll both have 8 with a game left. Then if Panama wins to get 11 points and we lose to Honduras, it would leave us at a three way draw for first at 11 points. Our home and away vs. Panama would be better, our h+a vs. Honduras worse. Panama would beat out Honduras. So we'd go to the next criteria to decide a tie, perhaps goal difference head to head, not sure?

The more I look at this the more I think we could really do with 5 points and not four, 12 does it for us.

The more I look at this the more I think we could really do with 5 points and not four, 12 does it for us.

I agree with your scenarios. It's a close knit top three and especially if Honduras get it together in Panama.

Controlling our own destiny with positive results is hopefully all we need to get to the Hex. Historically, we have had a habit of making it hard on ourselves (not unlike a lot of other NTs, I suppose).

Key to success is bringing Dale Mitchell back obviously

JC Dely Valdes was a leading scorer on modest teams in one of the best leagues in the world, and is probably the best striker in recent Concacaf history after Hugo Sánchez.

DM would not even rate in the top 50.

Apart from the fact that the Dely Valdes bros are classy guys.

I just wish they were lousy at teaching defensive tactics and hope they slip up vs us on Tuesday.

Archived