New JDG interview

Yohan

Key bites

-Happy at Dallas

-Will consider playing in Europe when his MLS contract expires

-Lays into TFC. Says TFC has been trying to trade him/sell him for a long time (says 4 out of 5 TFC coaches he played for didn't want him)

-still thinks it's best for JDG2's career to play for Canada

Good interviews, JDG always comes across as honest and clearly pushes his brother to play for Canada but at the same time won't turn his back on his bro which is understandable, just the fact that he still stays on the side of the CMNT saying publicly he thinks its best if he plays for Canada shows a lot of character. Says what everyone knows, TFC is run like complete **** and his signing was a mistake.

Taking off my CMNT supporter hat for a second JDG2 looked very good in his last game for Swansea, if he keeps playing like that from a soccer standpoint it would not surprise me if he got a look by the Dutch squad, especially since he can play most positions across midfield. I don't think he would be a guy playing every game but if he keeps that level up and Swansea keep playing as well as they have he probably would have a shot with a new coach looking to bring in younger players but he'll still only be a bit part occasional call. From his standpoint if representing the Oranje is a goal (obviously it is) then this is his best chance, still think its a mistake and he should play for us and if he doesn't get into the Oranje this season he will turn to us.

Yeah I really like JDG...but like many on these forums, I'm finding it hard to love the idea of his brother in a Canadian uniform. (who I refuse to call JDG2 still, lol) Good thing about him was the fact that he was very up front and honest with us about it when interviewed at BMO. Personally, though, I'm still one of those guys that it's like, yeah, you had your chance with us, that's it right?

I mean otherwise we just encourage players to fish for other countries to play for, because they know they can always fall back in mommy's arms if it doesn't turn out for them. Better to make examples so that others in the future know that there are consequences to not picking us initially.

Conversely, that could be a bad thing too...maybe you have that hardline approach and people just don't want to play for you period? What do you guys think? Personally I'd like a harder line with this...wishy washiness about whether or not you "feel" Canadian kinda cheeses me

Gotta think it's a matter of time before Jono realizes he's just not in the Dutch plans. Consider:

- The Netherlands have been using 2 d-mids the past couple of cycles with Mark Van Bommel and Nigel De Jong starting and Stijn Schars as backup.

- Van Bommel has retired internationally.

- De Jong and Schars were not called in for these WCQ's for various reasons.

So who gets the nod for possibly the biggest Qualifier this cycle (at home to Turkey)?

- Kevin Strootman, Leroy Fer and Jordy Clasie. All of them 22 years old and under, and who all play in Holland.

Jono has had a good start with Swansea... if he keeps this up, he's bound to get noticed by van Gaal

His start was decent, but Michu is the one carrying the team on his back early...and others on the team are doing more to get noticed than Jono too...he's doing well on a team that's doing great. If reality hits for them with a few losses, he may be one of the first to get a look at the bench. If they keep winning, they would be stupid to change it up, though (right Whitecaps?)

Gotta think it's a matter of time before Jono realizes he's just not in the Dutch plans. Consider:

- The Netherlands have been using 2 d-mids the past couple of cycles with Mark Van Bommel and Nigel De Jong starting and Stijn Schars as backup.

- Van Bommel has retired internationally.

- De Jong and Schars were not called in for these WCQ's for various reasons.

So who gets the nod for possibly the biggest Qualifier this cycle (at home to Turkey)?

- Kevin Strootman, Leroy Fer and Jordy Clasie. All of them 22 years old and under, and who all play in Holland.

Agreed. Today's qualifier is probably their toughest, yet the starting XI includes 7 players younger than JDG2: Krul (24), Willems (18), Martens Indi (20), Janmaat (23), Strootman (22) , Narsingh (21), Clasie (21).

There's a youth movement under van Gaal and he's not a part of it.

His start was decent, but Michu is the one carrying the team on his back early...and others on the team are doing more to get noticed than Jono too...he's doing well on a team that's doing great. If reality hits for them with a few losses, he may be one of the first to get a look at the bench. If they keep winning, they would be stupid to change it up, though (right Whitecaps?)

Michu is scoring goals, otherwise hes been pretty invisible in play. Swansea is playing a very good passing game, the whole team is looking good, but Last game where they were down a man and tied 2-2 after gifting the opposition a goal Jono was probably the best player on the pitch. He was playing a deep lieing playmaker and did very well, his passing was crisp, his delivery from set plays was good and he dictated play. His job was not to get forward and score his job was to set up play and control the midfield through short passing mainly, and he has performed that role well. The system right now and all the confidence the team is playing with is benefiting him, but they also have the South Korean Ki that was just signed for 5.5m so I'd imagine hes going to get games so Jono could be moved around a bit, but as of now things look positive for him.

I have never been too positive about De Guzman's chances but I think I may have to change my mind about this soon.

Van Gaal's new selection policy has opened up some opportunites for him. Van Gaal has a clear playing position for every player in the squad and will not make any adjustments to that whatsoever. Where De Guzman used to have a lot of competition from a variety of midfielders he now only has a few guys to look out for.

Van Gaal is playing with 1 defensive minded midfielder, 1 box-to-box midfielder and 1 creative/attacking midfielder. Every player that is written down as a defensive midfielder will not play in any of the other 2 positions and vice versa.

If you look at the list of creative midfielders, it's not very long.

Wesley Sneijder (28 years old)

Adam Maher (19 years old)

Siem de Jong (23 years old, even questionable if he is eligible for this position or striker position in Van Gaal's book)

Jonathan de Guzman (25 years old next week)

Rafael van der Vaart (29 years old, his time at the national team seems to be as good as over)

Georginio Wijnaldum (21 years old, could be ineligble as well for this position)

It's quite a weird selection policy. The other midfielders mentioned in this topic are not really competition anymore because they are different type of player. They would have been competition with any other manager in charge and they have just been eliminated by Van Gaal.

I reckon that De Guzman could receive a call-up in 2013 if he can keep this form going with Swansea.

• 4 weeks later...

He hadn't trained much of the week and was held out of the midweek Capital One cup for injury/sickness, so pretty sure he wasn't dropped for football reasons. And not like Ki who he held out of the lineup for 2 games with everyone fit is a bum, he was bought for 5.5m pounds (steal) and is already a full international for South Korea and looked really good at the Olympics. Regardless of my opinions of his character, he has looked good so far.

He hadn't trained much of the week and was held out of the midweek Capital One cup for injury/sickness, so pretty sure he wasn't dropped for football reasons. And not like Ki who he held out of the lineup for 2 games with everyone fit is a bum, he was bought for 5.5m pounds (steal) and is already a full international for South Korea and looked really good at the Olympics. Regardless of my opinions of his character, he has looked good so far.

Guess we'll see from here.

Archived