Tactics Talk with Stephen Hart

SeanKeay

He mentioned that he has more confidence in one of the two HB positions to provide the needed width that he needs against a side like Panama. But he expressedly stated that he didnt want so say which of the two sides he had less or more confidence in as far as that aspect of the game. My guess is that its the LB position that is stronger in that aspect of the game. Even though our only goal scored so far occurred as result of an RB cross.

Given that he hinted elsewhere that the back 4 will remain unchanged, I took it that he was actually referring to Jazic at LB as the stay at home fullback. I have a sense that we will see de Jong pushed further up the pitch tomorrow night.

Ah I didn't hear that quote...I now have that same sense! And right, pushing that far up the pitch, which of our defenders is supposed to have the pace to defend the through ball?

No surprises with his tactics. Compact midfield allowing for effective defensive pressure in that area of the pitch.

We executed the game plan really well in that department, apart from a stretch in the second half. Most importantly, we great the latter stages of the match, with 2 or even 3 guys closing down the space of a Panamanian player in possession. Great job!

Archived