Jump to content

Steven Vitória


Recommended Posts

@jordan , he wasn't well marked at the far post; made it look so easy. :D

It's good to see that he played a full match on Tuesday and today; he seems to have recovered well from that injury in late December.

Also @jordan , do you mind editing the title of this thread to simply "Steven Vitória" (unless you can find the one that got deleted some months ago and maybe merging them?) Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • jordan changed the title to Steven Vitória
  • Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Goals in 2 straight games   

He's the CB with the most experience and playing at the highest level right now. You're not building around him, you're using him to survive the WCQ while the next batch of CB are ready to take h

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Alex said:

World class dive to get the free kick there 

He got kicked, twice. It was a dirty foul.

This is easy to rebutt. First, as he was going in for an attacking play, and set plays are not as important or efficient in a place like Portugal compared to certain variations of northern European football, there was no advantage in falling. Thinking otherwise just demonstrates the standard some people watch, where teams are desperate for a lateral foul over an open field attack. It was Vitoria's first goal, the team's captain a CB is not considered an attacking threat because set pieces mean less in Portual (the goal was also a keeper error).

Every time someone makes a dumbass statement like this I'd like to have them in front of me. I'd knick them with a boot in the shin, not even as hard as that play, and they'd be down squealing for an hour, they'd calll the RCMP on me for assault. 

It's like when you accidently hit your head on an open freezer door, which I did recently. You fall to the ground KO, hurts like hell, you just cover for 30-40 seconds and it's excruciating, but you wait it out. Then you are fine, you check for blood and put some ice on, and keep on going. But those 30 odd seconds are real.

I don't get why the same people who'll go beserk over a splinter from a toothpick are always the first ones to expect people being kicked to not react. More: a footballer's feet and legs are his main tools, he runs on them, kicks with them, they are everything. They have to be optimal, you can't use them if you are not sure they are. So you have to make sure. If a seamstress pricks a finger she stops, because a sore finger, or an infection, has her losing working hours. Same with a footballer's feet and legs.

Another point. There were 9 yellows in that match, one by Steven before the goal. Thirty fouls in total, one in three a card. They were obviously being very physical. If you are in an intensely physical match with fouls going over the limit, you can't let the rival get away with it. You have to ensure they back off so you can play. So you should never play through when your rival is being dirty in such circumstances, you have to push to get them to lay off.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He got kicked, twice. It was a dirty foul.

This is easy to rebutt. First, as he was going in for an attacking play, and set plays are not as important or efficient in a place like Portugal compared to certain variations of northern European football, there was no advantage in falling. Thinking otherwise just demonstrates the standard some people watch, where teams are desperate for a lateral foul over an open field attack. It was Vitoria's first goal, the team's captain a CB is not considered an attacking threat because set pieces mean less in Portual (the goal was also a keeper error).

Every time someone makes a dumbass statement like this I'd like to have them in front of me. I'd knick them with a boot in the shin, not even as hard as that play, and they'd be down squealing for an hour, they'd calll the RCMP on me for assault. 

It's like when you accidently hit your head on an open freezer door, which I did recently. You fall to the ground KO, hurts like hell, you just cover for 30-40 seconds and it's excruciating, but you wait it out. Then you are fine, you check for blood and put some ice on, and keep on going. But those 30 odd seconds are real.

I don't get why the same people who'll go beserk over a splinter from a toothpick are always the first ones to expect people being kicked to not react. More: a footballer's feet and legs are his main tools, he runs on them, kicks with them, they are everything. They have to be optimal, you can't use them if you are not sure they are. So you have to make sure. If a seamstress pricks a finger she stops, because a sore finger, or an infection, has her losing working hours. Same with a footballer's feet and legs.

Another point. There were 9 yellows in that match, one by Steven before the goal. Thirty fouls in total, one in three a card. They were obviously being very physical. If you are in an intensely physical match with fouls going over the limit, you can't let the rival get away with it. You have to ensure they back off so you can play. So you should never play through when your rival is being dirty in such circumstances, you have to push to get them to lay off.

I get what you’re saying, getting knocked in the ankle, shins or knee hurts like hell. It doesn’t even have to be hard, and yes when your legs are your main tools and they take a hit it’s hard to keep going. In some other sports you can hide pain better. I’ve watched this about 10 times now and the second replay it looks like he doesn’t touch the right leg (maybe he got his foot?) and he grabbed his right knee. Then he dropped after taking another stride. I’m not one to call soccer players whimps, and I understand the benefit of drawing fouls like this. Maybe you’re right and he got clobbered but that’s just not how I saw it. 
 

Either way it was a beautiful header. 
 

If we ever meet I’ll take a pass on getting kicked in the shins 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, costarg said:

Hold on, does that mean even our best CB is becoming a forward now?  Who's gonna CB for CANMNT???

 

I'd say that we may finally be a threat on corners. Scoring more often on those could be the difference maker in getting us to the World Cup. That's a massive plus for us.

I'm thinking that a Kennedy-Vitoria pair should be the way to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

We have not even seen Kennedy in a CMNT camp, so this might be premature. 

Vitoria and Kennedy will be the 2 CBs playing at the highest level in mid-season form since MLS will not have restarted by WCQ in March. To me, makes more sense to rely on them and build chemistry while playing weaker squads

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'd say that we may finally be a threat on corners. Scoring more often on those could be the difference maker in getting us to the World Cup. That's a massive plus for us.

I'm thinking that a Kennedy-Vitoria pair should be the way to go.

Our flaccid performance on set pieces is one of the frustrating things about our team.  It seems like we never convert them so it never feels like an actual opportunity when we get a corner or a wide free kick.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Vitoria and Kennedy will be the 2 CBs playing at the highest level in mid-season form since MLS will not have restarted by WCQ in March. To me, makes more sense to rely on them and build chemistry while playing weaker squads

James will hopefully be playing consistent minutes now in Greece. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

James will hopefully be playing consistent minutes now in Greece. 

 

 

And Sturig if he's getting regular minutes

Not knocking on MLS but mid-season form is really important. We can always call up Miller, Cornelius, Waterman as depth players but Kennedy and Vitoria are the pair I want to work on to build some chemistry for the final round.

The Gold Cup is where you would used the MLS and CPL defenders and play them to see who can join the final round squad. We really need to figure out the pecking order at CB.

We're not "great" but we aren't "a disaster" either. Pecking order, a plan and sticking with that plan is what's needed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ansem said:

And Sturig if he's getting regular minutes

Not knocking on MLS but mid-season form is really important. We can always call up Miller, Cornelius, Waterman as depth players but Kennedy and Vitoria are the pair I want to work on to build some chemistry for the final round.

The Gold Cup is where you would used the MLS and CPL defenders and play them to see who can join the final round squad. We really need to figure out the pecking order at CB.

We're not "great" but we aren't "a disaster" either. Pecking order, a plan and sticking with that plan is what's needed.

I don't think we should be building around a soon to be 34 year old. Also the lower table in the Primeira Liga isn't anything to write home around.

Edited by VinceA
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, VinceA said:

I don't think we should be building around a soon to be 34 year old. Also the lower table in the Primeira Liga isn't anything to write home around.

He's the CB with the most experience and playing at the highest level right now.

You're not building around him, you're using him to survive the WCQ while the next batch of CB are ready to take his place.

Defending vs. Braga, Benfica, Porto & Sporting >>>>>>>defending against LAFC, Columbus or Seattle

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Ansem said:

He's the CB with the most experience and playing at the highest level right now.

You're not building around him, you're using him to survive the WCQ while the next batch of CB are ready to take his place.

Defending vs. Braga, Benfica, Porto & Sporting >>>>>>>defending against LAFC, Columbus or Seattle

I mean Vitoria was defending against LAFC, Columbus, Seattle a few years ago and it’s not like he lit the league on fire or anything. He was a solid MLS starter and that’s pretty much it.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Floortom said:

I mean Vitoria was defending against LAFC, Columbus, Seattle a few years ago and it’s not like he lit the league on fire or anything. He was a solid MLS starter and that’s pretty much it.

 

 

He obviously got better, by that I mean a good awareness of his strengths, keeping his game simple and being smart thanks to his experience.

Can we stop pretending that MLS is comparable with Liga NOS? It's getting a bit ridiculous 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...