Sasho Cirovski TFC coach in 2013 ?

Trillium

The problem I have with your argument is that it boils down to "he deserves more time, just because".

Whereas I don't think he has what it takes for numerous reasons like:

-I don't like the way he threw Frings under the bus (which is funny coming from a so called 'players manager')

-I don't like that he is freezing out Kocic for an inferior keeper over a contract dispute

-I don't like that he continually plays an undermanned bench, even when there are guys available.

-I do believe he does deserve some of the blame for the ****ty state of the roster.

-I think the Hassli trade was a bad trade (I like Hassli but a first rounder is over payment for a player the opposing team is trying to dump).

-I don't like that he plays so many players out of position

-I don't like his in game use of subs.

There's probably more that I'm forgetting.

Taken separately you could probably brush all this issues off. But I think that once you start to add them all up, you start to wonder if Mariner knows what he is doing. I wonder if he is the right man for the job.

The bottom line is that after watching him in charge for 3 months I'm scared for the future of this club. Sure no one can predict the future, but I have lost all hope for this club with Mariner in charge. I wish I could have hope, but I've seen nothing to make me believe we should have any.

After 6 years of this bull**** I'm surprised anyone can see the bright side of this management **** show.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

remember this is MLSE, who just gave Peddie a promotion. For what you might ask? Exactly!

I'd like Yallop to come, but I wouldn't blame him if he didn't. Toronto needs to find a good player coach, build some quality, do some drafting and stop building expectations that we're going to win soon.

I don't mind, personally, Mariner's managing style or his tactics. In fact, as one of his early detractors, I rather think he's doing much better than I had expected early, despite recent results.

Mike is 100% correct. Winter dissected this team and put players under his image, thinking that he could create dutch style football with 4rd and 4th rate dutch players and others that don't have that type of passing ability. Many of those players are gone under Mariner...

But you can't expect Mariner to all of a sudden have amazing results with the pay structures and players that HE didn't have the opportunity to choose.

To judge a manager truly, you need an offseason. Once we see the types of moves Mariner makes in an offseason as well as the tweaks he has made during the season, we'll see what he REALLY has in mind for a vision of this team.

Then we can judge. And even then, because many contracts are multi year contracts...a manager in some ways will ALWAYS be handcuffed by his predecessors. There is no avoiding it. To judge one, you have to somewhat judge the previous one. I will say this. It was under Mariner that Morgan and Henry got signed to multi year deals. Despite the fact that Winter was actually PLAYING more Canadians (which i liked under Winter, despite the results), it DOES show that Mariner have a pro Canadian vision. Which, as a fan, is important to me, personally and many other fans on here. Selling tickets and building fan loyalty is important too...winning does it automatically, of course, but until Teibert started getting off the bench, I was watching Whitecaps games in fast forward...

Mariner is the worst manager on the planet. This guy has no clue about the modern game. He has brought in plenty of his players (F.Hall, O'dea, Amarikwa, Hassli, Wiedeman) and other Winter signings have his fingerprints all over it (Dunfield, Eckersley, J.Hall, Lambe, Emory) his job before being the Manager was scouting, recruiting, and signing players so he should take some of the blame for the Winter firing.

But i guess people see what the want to see.

By the way he has won 12 out of 48 matches in his coaching career.

Mariner is the worst manager on the planet. This guy has no clue about the modern game. He has brought in plenty of his players (F.Hall, O'dea, Amarikwa, Hassli, Wiedeman) and other Winter signings have his fingerprints all over it (Dunfield, Eckersley, J.Hall, Lambe, Emory) his job before being the Manager was scouting, recruiting, and signing players so he should take some of the blame for the Winter firing.

But i guess people see what the want to see.

By the way he has won 12 out of 48 matches in his coaching career.

I can see your point on that. Worst manager on the planet is a little harsh though.

• 3 weeks later...

NEWS for Monday, Oct. 1, 2012

Soccer America Men's Top 25

by Soccer America

[RANKINGS: Week 6] There was no change in the top four in the Soccer America Men's Top 25 rankings. Maryland remained No. 1,

Are these coaches on the radar of TFC for Academy positions, or other postions?

Is it hard for Canadian coaches to get respect in Canada for their accomplishments ?

Do writers like Duane Rollins ever make a call to see if such a coach would be interested in a position in Toronto ?

Sasho Cirovski is entering his 20th year of coaching overall, and holds an "A" coaching license from the U.S. Soccer Federation, as well as an Advanced National Diploma from the National Soccer Coaches Association of America. During the summer of 1997, he served as the assistant coach of the JVC U-17 World Youth Championship team, which played against Argentina, Uruguay, Egypt and two domestic camps. The team competed at the U-17 World Cup Championship in Egypt held in September of 1997. Cirovski also worked as an assistant coach for the U.S. U-20 National Team.

Brian Rowland is in his second season with the Maryland men's soccer team.

During his first season in College Park, Rowland coached All-America selection Zac MacMath, who led the nation with a 0.64 goals against average. MacMath was later selected by the Philadelphia Union with the fifth pick overall in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft.

Rowland was a four-year starter for nationally-ranked UMBC and was a two-time captain for the Retrievers. He was tabbed UMBC Male Athlete of the Year, earned All-America honors in 2002, and garnered all-conference accolades twice in his illustrious career. Rowland left UMBC as the career and single-season record-holder in shutouts.

"I am very excited to have been given the opportunity to join such a fantastic soccer program here at the University of Maryland," Rowland said. "To begin my coaching career at a program which has become the benchmark for excellence at the collegiate level is truly a great honor. I look forward to working with Coach Cirovski and his excellent staff, where I can hopefully contribute to the success of the program for the upcoming season and into the future."

Following Rowland's successful collegiate tenure, he continued his playing career with the Toronto Lynx of the USL (2003-04), the Baltimore Blast and Milwaukee Wave of the MISL (2003-07) and finally with Crystal Palace USA of the USL from 2007 to 2009. He was tabbed to MISL's Team of the Week three times and the USL Team of the Week five times. He also spent the last four years as the goalkeeper coach for Crystal Palace, working with academy goalkeepers in a year-round training program.

Prior to landing at UMBC, Rowland competed on the Canadian Youth National U-20 team and trialed at Manchester United and Fulham.

Rowland is a native of Toronto, Ontario Canada and earned his bachelor's degree in economics from UMBC in 2003.

Strangely, that level of success was simultaneously not enough for the true Mariner haters who'd decided they didn't like him before the team ever kicked a ball under his leadership - and many, MANY of those people dominate the discussion around him

bull****, plain and simple bull**** ... same goes for your 'fans are all ignorant and don't have a clue' opinion, just BS ... the rest of your arguments are just overly verbose spin.

you're driving the wrong way down the highway my friend

Mariner needs to go end of this season. The only difference between 8-coaches-in-7 years and 8-coaches-in-8 years is another lost year for TFC. Start the stability with a new FO this off-season.

Back on topic .... Sasho Cirovski sounds like a reasonably good option. Hopefully he is on someone's radar, but doubt it will be TFC's broken-down radar.

Really, at this point, I'm almost ready for "Anybody But Mariner".

As Jason De Vos said, maybe Dasovic was the right guy? I personally liked him.

I don't know, if Dasovic was the guy, he at the very least needed someone to find the right players for him (other than Earl Cochrane). Before TFC brought in Mariner it looked like they were immanently about to sign Sidra, Ent, and Ornoch. Unfortunately, none of the three have done much as professionals and it looks like TFC dodged a major bullet.

Personally, I think Chris Cummins was the closest thing we ever had to a real manager... but the talent acquisition issue remains.

Back on topic .... Sasho Cirovski sounds like a reasonably good option. Hopefully he is on someone's radar, but doubt it will be TFC's broken-down radar.

Really, at this point, I'm almost ready for "Anybody But Mariner".

I'd have to look back but I'm 99% sure Cirovski is pals with Gansler, which means he'd probably tell him to stay far away.

Why would he take a pay cut....

Well there are always rumblings that the NCAA is looking to cut back on college soccer scholarships and practice time. It's a big money loser. Really everything but mens' football and basketball are. Might be the time now to get out.

Well there are always rumblings that the NCAA is looking to cut back on college soccer scholarships and practice time. It's a big money loser. Really everything but mens' football and basketball are. Might be the time now to get out.

Off-topic but actually football and basketball are big money losers for most colleges also. In football the top 20 programs make a killing by filling stadiums with athletes who are being paid very little considering the money being made but most of the other programs are losing massive amounts of money. Sports are really draining money from universities in the US that should be spent on education but for some reason the reputation of most universities in that country is more based on their success in sports than their educational merits so colleges keep spending lots of money on sports. I would like us to fund our sports programs better and build a better system here in soccer and other sports but I would hate us to follow anything like the American college sports system.

Off-topic but actually football and basketball are big money losers for most colleges also. In football the top 20 programs make a killing by filling stadiums with athletes who are being paid very little considering the money being made but most of the other programs are losing massive amounts of money. Sports are really draining money from universities in the US that should be spent on education but for some reason the reputation of most universities in that country is more based on their success in sports than their educational merits so colleges keep spending lots of money on sports. I would like us to fund our sports programs better and build a better system here in soccer and other sports but I would hate us to follow anything like the American college sports system.

Are you just comparing revenue from ticket sales/TV rights to the expenses created by the teams? I make no claims at being an expert of collegiate financials, but let's say it is possible that at smaller schools these amounts may not be equal. But what you also have to take into consideration is that the sports teams (and often the football teams) are what keeps alumni connected to the school and with those connections come alumni donations. To a certain extent, the sports teams are more about marketing the school then they are about creating revenue through ticket sales. I went to a small US university that had no football team, and there were several wealthy alumni who would bank roll the entire project if the school ever gave football a green light.

Are you just comparing revenue from ticket sales/TV rights to the expenses created by the teams? I make no claims at being an expert of collegiate financials, but let's say it is possible that at smaller schools these amounts may not be equal. But what you also have to take into consideration is that the sports teams (and often the football teams) are what keeps alumni connected to the school and with those connections come alumni donations. To a certain extent, the sports teams are more about marketing the school then they are about creating revenue through ticket sales. I went to a small US university that had no football team, and there were several wealthy alumni who would bank roll the entire project if the school ever gave football a green light.

Yes it is comparing revenues with expenses. Supporters of sports programs also use the sponsorship argument but the majority of the sponsorship money goes right back to the sports programs not education. As you said there are some wealthy alumni who would bankroll the project if your former school decided to start a football program (though I am doubtful it would be 100% financed, in the end the school always ends up paying a lot of money as well regardless of how they market it) but apparently their appetite for bankrolling the educational aspects is much less. The marketing aspect is spot on but an educational institute should be marketed on its educational merits not because it has a sports team. I kind of went to FSU, by which I mean I wanted to study with one particular professor there but could not afford the out of state tuition even of a state university so studied privately with him and took only those few classes I could afford. Nevertheless I was on campus every day and was in many respects a student there. I struggle to call FSU an educational institution, I think social club with a sports team would be a better description. There was a spattering of good professors there and if you wanted to you could get an education but the majority of people did not. It was a disgrace to the concept of education and university. But they had a great football team and it was the unitary obsession of the majority of "students" there who were supposed to be getting an education.

If I were you I would be dead against any attempt of your former university to found a football program. The education will suffer. You could put dancing girls in a library and I am sure the library would be more popular and could raise more money but its performance of its proper library function would suffer.

Even more off topic but...

The idea that mens college football and basketball programs outside of the top 20 don't make money isn't accurate. Here's a great site from Kristi Dosh of ESPN. On the page linked she shows the Top 50 programs but at the top of the page you can see links to all conferences and the financials of all mens football and basketball programs in the FBS outside of military schools.

An example... Even smaller universities like Eastern Michigan (23000 students), which is smaller than McGill (33000), profited about $1 500 000 from their football program in 2010-11, and they are by no means a football power.

Some lose money, but way more than half break even or are profitable.

Looks like Adrian Heath turned town a high-paying TFC assistant job with some sort of understanding he would eventually be the head guy. Given that he came to tour the club, then walked away should be a red-flag about how much of a ****-show this team still is.

Not only that, but is TFC trying to set up a management structure where the team is bad in perpetuity? Hire a president FFS, not someone who is there to undermine the existing head coach or act as a quick out for the existing guy.

Isn't this what Mo Johnston tried to do after his first year in charge? It would be funny if it weren't so tragic. I'm boycotting this team until they get their act together. 50% off crap isn't going to do it.

Archived