English FA and Manchester City Leave Umbro for Nike, CSA remains with Umbro for now.

Nick

I'll be honest, at first I was disappointed to be switching to Umbro since the quality of apparel that I had seen from them over the last few years was pretty weak and generally I've always liked Adidas stuff. But they have truly done a good job, have seemed to be committed to promoting the Canadian program and everything has looked great. I really hope we don't leave them, and other countries and clubs parting ways with they're brand only makes us a bigger fish in they're pond.

No doubt the Centennial Kits that umbro designed were class, I just wish that they would break out of there comfort zone when designing the regular uni's and try and get alittle more creative. Last years kit did grow on me but this years wasn't anything special. and the only reason England and City switched its because until recently umbro was owned by Nike, but now apparently Nike have sold Umbro and by the looks of it stole there two biggest clients

I heard a comparison that Umbro sold more Canadian jerseys in the first month with the CSA than Adidas did in previous 4 or 5 years. I had never seen an Adidas CSA shirt in a store, ever!!! Adidas had more interest in promoting their other sponsorships, and never saw any potential with canadian national teams. Umbro is doing great, I see the shirts in stores, and kids wearing them everywhere. Easily one of the best marketing moves of the CSA in a decade.

It would be interesting to hear the details of what happens WHEN the CanMNT qualifies for the World Cup, and what it would mean for the contract. Would imagine there would be some big incentives in there somewhere.

http://the11.ca/2012/08/29/despite-nike-sale-uncertainty-csa-and-umbro-ca

Not to knock what Umbro have done for our national team.. but I can only see positives with having a company like Nike potentially backing us

Nike seems to have decided that they can make more money from Umbro by cannibalizing it - i.e. cherry picking it's top clients, then tossing aside the carcass...

But wait, who the heck said Nike wants anything to do with Canadian footie?... Here's a theory, Nike is grabbing the Umbro crown jewels, and guess what, Canada ain't one of them. I.e. the CSA is sticking with Umbro by default, not choice.

I'm only hoping the Umbro brand gets bought by someone looking to keep their current "authentic/grass roots" marketing strategy in place, and I also agree with the above mentioned point wrt Canada being a bigger fish in their pond with the loss of some of their top clients.

I actually bought the Adidas white and black shirts at stores. But not sports stores; kitschy tourist places rather than somewhere a real soccer fan would look. I actually got the white Canada Adidas only a few months ago, hidden high up on a shelf where you'd have to be randomly walking around Gastown and notice with a gawk that's the first time you've ever seen one for sale long after they stopped being current.

So yeah, Adidas had more than one problem there.

Archived