Whitecap Commentary Terrible

Canada1

I thought that it has improved imensely. Now last year, that's another story. It was plain awfull last year. Martin Nash was not analytical and cant communicate.

I agree last season was absolutely brutal and this season is better but well under the level that it should be. We are not watching matches at Swangard anymore. All other broadcast that I have seen on MLS is far superior to what we have in Vancouver. The amount od dribble that comes out of there mouths is overwhelming. Get rid of both of them.

Easily, the best by a mile is The Eddie's team (Steve Sandor and Gareth Hampshire). Ive watched a ton games this year and from many teams and they are the most knowledgeable and entertaining. I'm a bit biased as one of the duo is a good friend but I know I'm not alone in my appreciation for the job they do. If you haven't had a chance to watch them and have some time to kill, give them a go. Wileman and deVos are OK but really, It'd be hard to top Hampshire and Sandor. I believe they have some ties with both GolTV and with the CBC.

Who is the best Commentary team in Canada?

My vote would go to Luke Wileman and Jason deVos.

Speaking of Montreal, I would love to see Noel Butler get a shot to do Color.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/noel_butler/?id=blogs-noel_butler

Easily, the best by a mile is The Eddie's team (Steve Sandor and Gareth Hampshire). Ive watched a ton games this year and from many teams and they are the most knowledgeable and entertaining. I'm a bit biased as one of the duo is a good friend but I know I'm not alone in my appreciation for the job they do. If you haven't had a chance to watch them and have some time to kill, give them a go. Wileman and deVos are OK but really, It'd be hard to top Hampshire and Sandor. I believe they have some ties with both GolTV and with the CBC.

I have zero sympathy for anyone who has not been forced to listen to Brian Wilde's truncated "Scoooooooooo-!" It's like the gimpy, bastard child of the Mexican "Goooooooooool" except with the word Scores... but then truncated to "Scooo". All in the same shrill, cracking, adolescent shriek that he used to use when he said "Gooool". He's also added a kind of sing-songy modulation to it now. By all accounts nice guy though.

Jason is a fantastic analyst, perfect in the role he fills. I thought he was great during the Euros too. Luke is a joke, they should do away with these English commentators I think they turn a lot of people off. Its embarrassing anytime I watch MLS games on TSN everyone always comments "why do they have to use an english announcer?" seriously WHY?! The best English commentators stay in England for a reason. They can do better for sure.

Jason is a fantastic analyst, perfect in the role he fills. I thought he was great during the Euros too. Luke is a joke, they should do away with these English commentators I think they turn a lot of people off. Its embarrassing anytime I watch MLS games on TSN everyone always comments "why do they have to use an english announcer?" seriously WHY?! The best English commentators stay in England for a reason. They can do better for sure.

I believe Luke is a Canadian citizen if that changes anything for you.

I have zero sympathy for anyone who has not been forced to listen to Brian Wilde's truncated "Scoooooooooo-!" It's like the gimpy, bastard child of the Mexican "Goooooooooool" except with the word Scores... but then truncated to "Scooo". All in the same shrill, cracking, adolescent shriek that he used to use when he said "Gooool". He's also added a kind of sing-songy modulation to it now. By all accounts nice guy though.

How could I forget about Wildesy?

Last time I heard him, was in 2011 driving in on the 10 coming from the townships :P .

He did makes those NASL games that much more interesting.

To be perfectly honest most of the time I end up stream online, from the opposing team's feed just to get an idea of what the rest of the league are saying about the VWC's players, and often I end up really being a fan of the American announcers. You get some duds for sure, but most aren't hommers, are quite knowledgable about the game and possess more than 2 adjectives or ways to describe a goal.

With commentary, I'm in the "less is more" camp, as in only one guy in the booth and analysis provided at half time, where the colour guy can get his thoughts and points better organized. I really liked De Vos' work during the Euros in this way. I prefer Wileman now as a TSN guy instead of in his earlier days with GOL TV. He has also done well as a solo announcer.

This is the kind of play by play we need in Canada:

bahaha, 'The goalie has got football pie all over his shirt!'

I had a pretty brutal sentence once similar to some of his bit, "I'm here talking at the game to Jarek Whiteman, what's your gameplan going into today's game?" *shakes head*

Not to sound like a 'Euro-snob' cause I'm not (I follow MLS, all other leagues I follow with a dismissive interest)... But I much prefer the use of ONE commentator like in the Premier League. I always feel an air of purity when watching English matches cause you dont have a constant stream of noise cause the commentators.

When I watch MLS at home, I always feel like the color commentator is that annoying guy that never shuts up at the pub while everybody else was trying to enjoy the match.

Never understood how most color commentators can yammer on for a whole minute or two about a play that took less than 5 seconds to occur... EG: Morgan crosses the ball into the box... I dont need the color commentator to chime in "Well it looked like he tried to chip the ball into the box, but nobody was their to make anything of it, which has been a constant blah blah blah!"... nauseating

Not to sound like a 'Euro-snob' cause I'm not (I follow MLS, all other leagues I follow with a dismissive interest)... But I much prefer the use of ONE commentator like in the Premier League. I always feel an air of purity when watching English matches cause you dont have a constant stream of noise cause the commentators.

When I watch MLS at home, I always feel like the color commentator is that annoying guy that never shuts up at the pub while everybody else was trying to enjoy the match.

Never understood how most color commentators can yammer on for a whole minute or two about a play that took less than 5 seconds to occur... EG: Morgan crosses the ball into the box... I dont need the color commentator to chime in "Well it looked like he tried to chip the ball into the box, but nobody was their to make anything of it, which has been a constant blah blah blah!"... nauseating

^This.

Like you, I just find too much needless yammer going on with the colour guy seemingly getting paid by the word. But what I also find is on close officiating decisions the colour analyst is forced into making a snap judgement on the call which too often is wrong. I prefer it when the analyst can look at the play without the pressure of being on live and having to make that instant pronouncement but instead can give you the skinny on it at the half after more review and reflection. Hence, I liked De Vos's role during the Euros, getting more time to pick out and analyze a particular play to present at half time or game's end.

Archived