REFS announced for Toronto Sept 7th and Panama Sept 11th

Canada1

Last time we had a Costa Rican ref in an important game was 4 years ago against Honduras in Montreal. Walter Quesada bought into a lot of the diving that night...

Jeffrey Solis is a relative unknown who hasn't reffed much outside of CR. He has been an international ref for 3 years and the last game he reffed was Xelaju-Chivas on Tuesday night. Here's his profile on a couple of sites:

http://www.football-lineups.com/referee/2205/

http://worldreferee.com/site/copy.php?linkID=2277&linkType=referee&contextType=bio

Interesting that he reffed a Seattle-San Francisco game last year in CCL, wonder what Sounder fans thought of him?

I agree that these guys could be the same old rat bast#rds that we usually seem to get "randomly" dealt in wcq, but after so many years I have come to the opinion that it does not matter where the refs are from in CONCACRAP. We stand a chance of getting a bad one game in and game out.

I thought Courtney Campbell the ref we had down in Cuba was very poor and inconsistent, whereas Enrico Wijngaarde the ref we had for the Honduras game at BMO was alright. Which is kinda funny cause I've found Campbell to be one of the better refs in CONCACAF, whereas IIRC Wijngaarde was the linesman for Archundia the night of the 07 Gold Cup semi-final call.

All of the best refs in CONCACAF (or at least the ones who get WC invites) are the ones that screw us over.

This Solis guy should be interesting though. He did the US/Brazil U-23 and had a couple controversial calls while dropping a bunch of cards early.

Looks like we have a built in excuse... I'll side with not pre-blaming the referees. Are we that wounded that this is what it's come to?

But that's how we get by in life as Voyageurs, with pre-determined excuses for every loss. Remember Radzinski's injury against Honduras in 2008? Yeah if it wasn't for that we would have challenged Spain in South Africa.

I was at that game. The real travesty was in the stands. Mtl should never be given MNT matches after that display.

And I got stuck sitting in front of the Honduran team officials. Even if the ref wasn't calling them on it I kept turning to the Hondurans and calling their players a bunch of divers (this is not the beer fuelled word I actually used). They just smiled with pride. If the beer wasn't so expensive..

Geez, old memory. I should put the pitchfork down.

Archived