Sinclair: I think I am cleared (by the FIFA)

sincforpm

In an interview with CBC yesterday, when asked about the FIFA decision: Sinclair responded with : I think I am cleared. Reporter: Just a slap on the wrist. Sinc: Not even. If that is indeed the case, than it is a victory of significance.

During the past few weeks of the Olympics we watched in horror how the Olympics judges would give every decision in the other country's favor. Ex. Our synchronized Swimming had the best performances among the top 4 but were given the lowest score among them. A female discus thrower had the best throw of her life but was stripped of the result because of measurement issues. Boxer Custio won the fight but decision was given to Team GB. The list goes on and on. It is like The Olympics judges wanted anyone to win but Canada. Was this because we Canadians are such easy pushovers and had gracefully accepted the unfair results over the years?

The one time that Sinclair stood for what she believed is right had drawn all kinds of criticism from these so called classy Canadian individuals. They all claimed to be shamed to have such a whiner as our flag bearer. Yesterday, a so called Sports writer or whatever he is, went on Team 1040 and had some harsh words on Sinclair's comments on the ref. And he thought Abby's tactics on pressuring the ref for that bizarre free kick was good gamemanship. The way he was blasting off on Sinclair, I thought he was actually the twin brother of the Norway referee, Pederson.

It is sad, actually pathetic to see all these so called experts Canadians (who probably have never watched a soccer game in their lives)to blast Sinclair when they just don't know how blessed we are to have such a talent with us. Not only does she have talent but also has an impeccable leadership. The fact that FIFA did not impose any penalty on her may be an admission that she is right as saying Canada was being robbed.

A bit off topic here: Sinc was asked if Abby had congratulated her on the bronze medal win. Sinclair said Abby did tellher that she was very happy for her win and she totally deserved it. Sinclair also said it was mutual respect on both sides. I Wonder if it was Abby feeling guilty or she was just putting on a show by being hypocritical. At any rate, I used to admire Abby as a player but she had lost all my respect after what she had pulled in the Canada game. Perhaps, that is the American mentality, do whatever it takes to get to the podium, even if it means cheating. That is what distinguishes her from Sinclair, who has always won games fair and square not by trickery.

I don't think you can blame the Americans for the bad calls. I am sure that if Canada had received the same calls for their side they would have not criticized the referee. Sinclair's comments were justified considering the emotions present at the end of the game. She was not being a "poor sport" and neither were the Americans.

As an aside -- Did they pick an Olympic all star team? I would hope Canada had at least a couple of players on it. Was their a Golden Boot awarded to Christine?

As an aside -- Did they pick an Olympic all star team? I would hope Canada had at least a couple of players on it. Was their a Golden Boot awarded to Christine?

Not sure that an official one was selected, but BearcatSA and I had a discussion about this on my blog. I was able to dig up these two Best XIs:

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/united-states/olympics/news/womens-football-sports-moles-team-of-the-olympics_39664.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19225364

I was initially inclined to favour the BBC list because it included Scott in addition to Sinclair (who was in both lists), but the absence of any French players and only one Japanese woman makes one question how much of the tournament the writer actually watched.

In an interview with CBC yesterday, when asked about the FIFA decision: Sinclair responded with : I think I am cleared. Reporter: Just a slap on the wrist. Sinc: Not even. If that is indeed the case, than it is a victory of significance.

Just curious, but any idea if that includes Tancredi too? I haven't seen updates in the thread below this one. Unless I'm blind and missed it.

Archived