Has Paul Stalteri retired?

nolando

On July 4th, someone edited his wikipedia page to state that he, "has recently retired."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Stalteri

Normally I don't put much stock in such trivialities (preferring to better spend my quality time researching Canadians playing in the Singapore Cup or the Swedish second division) but this seems pretty likely to me since his name hasn't popped up at all since a May 24th article stating that he was fully fit and ready to play again.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=396743

Surely an intrepid journalist could get official confirmation or denial without much effort.

i've heard he has been trying to seek out opportunities with club sides in Europe but nothing all that great has come from it. Unlikely he is "officially" retired at this point but unless a good opportunity presents itself, he is equally unlikely to be on anyone's roster as the 2012/2013 season kicks off. However, if he stays fit and some club finds themselves with lots of injuries at right fullback, he'll likely get a few opportunities to provide some experienced cover

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Is he really that stubborn? I'd love to see him in MLS but it's looking unlikely, maybe he can sign at Regensburg with JDG...

he's 35 and haven't played since June 2011. I remember his comments thumbing down at MLS. Best he just retire quietly because who'd really want to sign Stalteri at his age and injury issues of late?

I spoke to Paul a bit on the weekend at an event in Vaughan. He looks to still be in great shape. I think that if he opts to continue playing, it needs to be in a good situation for him and his family. It would be nice for him to finish up his playing career on his terms, rather than because of injury. always was one of my fav MNT players because of his leadership and winning mentality.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Greatly appreciated Paul's commitment to the Maple Leaf. I also appreciated his ability to adapt to positional changes: as a very young prospect he was a striker, then a mid, and finally found a pro niche as a RB/right wingback. Wouldn't achieved as much had he not shown that kind of versatility.

At his best, a smart positional fullback with a good grasp of defending as a unit in a back four. Read the play well and could cover effectively for his CB. Perhaps a young guy like Ashtone Morgan could benefit from his savvy.

My favourite Stalteri moment was talking to his lovely wife at Swangard in 04 during WCQ. Not only did she have the time of day for us V's, but she was informed and thoughtful, and spoke of her husband as a man always appreciative of our support and willing to make the extra step to bring the fans closer to the players. She posted on her from time-to-time too, IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...

Interview with the one and only DIESEL

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Interviews2012/RedNationInterviewSeriesPaulStalteri0413.aspx

Paul Stalteri

In this interview, RedNation and Paul discuss his recent retirement as a player, his exceptional career at the club and country levels, the current state of soccer in Canada, youth development in Germany and his current and future plans.

A native of Toronto, Ontario, Paul Stalteri is one of the most distinguished Canadians ever to have pulled on pair of boots. He holds the all-time caps record (84 appearances) for the Canadian Men’s National Team and was part of the team that won the 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup. Stalteri was twice named Canadian Player of the Year (2001 and 2004) and captained Canada on 30 occasions from 2007 to 2011.

At the club level, Stalteri began his playing career in Canada with the Toronto Lynx in the former A-League before moving to Europe where he broke through at the highest levels of the game and played for German clubs Werder Bremen and Borussia Mönchengladbach and Tottenham and Fulham in the English Premiership.

Stalteri was an integral part of the Werder Bremen side that recorded a memorable ‘double’ in 2003/2004 – winning both the Bundesliga Championship and Germany’s DFB Pokal Cup. He remains the only Canadian player to have earned a Bundesliga winner’s medal.

• 2 months later...

Others might have noted this as well, but thought was worth bringing up. Seems he has a fitness coach role with the CMNT for the Gold Cup camp. Glad to see he is still involved with the set up. If anyone knows about how to keep fit, it's certainly him.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/goldcup/news/article/2013/06/25/gold-cup-canada-going-there-win-not-damage-limitation-says-interim-boss-coli

• 3 years later...

Archived