Shady Reffing Continues in Final

Grizzly

US winning 1-0 early in second half. US was better at the beginning and scored but since the mid point of the half Japan has totally dominated the US.

However, the extremely biased pro-USA reffing has continued. In the first half a Japanese freekick was stopped by an outstretched hand in the box which was an absolutely clear freekick. Any ref would have to be not watching the play not to call a penalty on this but no penalty.

Now early in the second half we had a Japanese player tackled NFL style right in front of the keeper and the ref and again no call.

Blat Sepp is grinning somewhere

Sunil Galati is the grinning one pushing the strings on this one ... so USA can win a Miracle at Wembly.

Off the Post sits down with U.S. Soccer Federation President and economics faculty member at Columbia University, Sunil Gulati, RM: 2011 was a difficult year for world football. We saw allegations and in some cases, blatant instances of corruption within FIFA and within CONCACAF. We're now 14 months removed from Sepp Blatter's re-election as FIFA president (an election in which the USSF voted for Mr. Blatter). Have we seen the types of reforms that we were hoping for?

Sunil Gulati: Well, what has happened is, the first set of reforms have been put in to place. During the last FIFA congress, reforms were approved with a large majority of votes. Now we're on to Phase Two, which addresses a number of institutional and governance issues. Clearly, the process isn't done. There is much more to do. The first round of reforms were implemented on a very fast timetable and we're still trying to get some additional pieces enacted.

RM: As Federation president, to what extent are you accountable to effectuate change within both CONCACAF and FIFA?

Sunil Gulati: We're one of 208 members in FIFA, 1 of 40 in CONCACAF -- and I'm on various FIFA committees. We all have a responsibility as leaders to try to get these reforms executed. As a member of the CONCACAF Executive Committee, the responsibility is even greater.

Wow. I missed that part of the game, but someone aready has a crappy video of the play on their TV. That couldn't have been a more clear-cut penalty. Arm shoots out to successfully block a goal bound free kick t could have tied the game.

Not too often that bronze outshines gold, but it does this time around.

US winning 1-0 early in second half. US was better at the beginning and scored but since the mid point of the half Japan has totally dominated the US.

However, the extremely biased pro-USA reffing has continued. In the first half a Japanese freekick was stopped by an outstretched hand in the box which was an absolutely clear freekick. Any ref would have to be not watching the play not to call a penalty on this but no penalty.

Shocking. Absolutely shocking.

^

One of the more pronounced differences between the men's and women's games.

If a male player would have gloated in the press about showing up a ref he may as well as have painted a bulls-eye on his back. The Ref's Guild will have their revenge on you on the pitch, they'll get their payback plus interest before you know it. Make no mistake about that (and what is more, when revenge does come, again, again, and again, the media will say you had it coming because you used your loud mouth to advertise a "reputation". There will be no sympathy what-so-ever).

But you don't see that in women's football. Not yet anyway.

Careful where you want the women's game to go, Wambach. The MANgina tactics seen by some players in the men's game now being employed by some players in the women's game may be a bit ahead of the officials but they'll catch up, fast. It's going to all work out in the wash sooner than you think.

Worse to my mind though, is when you eliminate one of the great attraction of the women's game, it's general respect for the sport and the on-field opponent (you know, old fashioned sportsmanship) you're left competing for the footie fans interest based only on skill and talent. Quite frankly, you're going back to the stone age if you decide that's the route you want to travel. That's a losing battle.

I'm very surprise that she missed that handball.

But I doubt the no call has anything to do with the US TBH, Steinhaus has a reputation and is an highly regarded ref. She won't be intimidated by the US and isn't the kind to pander to the USA players.

Anyways, unfortunate miss call who had a direct impact on the outcome of the game.

I'm very surprise that she missed that handball.

But I doubt the no call has anything to do with the US TBH, Steinhaus has a reputation and is an highly regarded ref. She won't be intimidated by the US and isn't the kind to pander to the USA players.

How do you explain the numerous erroneous calls in both US games that favoured the US while there were no erroneous calls favouring either Canada or Japan? In the final the missed American football tackle in front of the keeper was just as bad as the missed handball and that is not to mention other less crucial mistakes. And why were there no complaints about the reffing in the other two of the final 4 games that did not involve the US?

How do you explain the numerous erroneous calls in both US games that favoured the US while there were no erroneous calls favouring either Canada or Japan? In the final the missed American football tackle in front of the keeper was just as bad as the missed handball and that is not to mention other less crucial mistakes. And why were there no complaints about the reffing in the other two of the final 4 games that did not involve the US?

First, I see a big differemce between Pedersen and Steinhaus. The first look vulnerable and her foul recognition was just terrible. The second is more confident and can deal with a tough match. Unfortunately, she's also human and made a huge mistake. Pedersen was moe the kind of ref that could be intimidated by the US players.

That being said, if we are going to try explaining the calls that went in USA favour, we might want a point out that in the Canada game a pretty huge no call went in Canada favoured. Tancredi stomp. That's a RC right there.

Without proof that FIFA is fixing games I will think those mistakes are just human. Just like the French keeper who can't handle and easy lob in the box. We can say she was fixing the game or that she just made one.

I know FIFA is a corrupt organisation but I'm not sure they are messing with refs.

First, I see a big differemce between Pedersen and Steinhaus. The first look vulnerable and her foul recognition was just terrible. The second is more confident and can deal with a tough match. Unfortunately, she's also human and made a huge mistake.

Two huge mistakes: Japan should have had another penalty when one of their forwards was absolutely bearhugged and American football tackled in the box.

I think one of the biggest knocks with the woman's game is that the officiating is often borderline incompetent. I remember watching the first half of the Canada US game and commenting that the ref was missing tonnes of fouls for both teams and that Canada should probably already have a couple yellows. FIFA learned the hard way in the men's game that you just can't parachute any old referee into a media focused soccer event and expect good results (remember all the errors in the Japan/Korea World Cup?). It seems they haven't applied this lesson to the women's game yet. If time has not allowed you to have a sizable pool of experienced female refs, then inject some male ones until you do.

People should see this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU-ZdW4T8OM&feature=g-all-c

On the non- handball, also look at what the US defenders are doing in the background.

None of it was called.....

While players do what they feel they need to do to win (and let's make no mistake about this, fair play is pretty much a myth), the referees are there for a reason. In this match, their reason for being there seems to have been to be as invisible as possible even if it mean ignoring fouls as obvious as these.

I can't help but wonder if this was a an over compensation by the referee after having watched her Norwegian colleague make bad calls in the semi-finals. She seems to have been thinking, I don't want to become the centre of attention like her so I'll not bother making the controversial calls and in the end, she was AWOL for all intents and purposes.

Very sad and unfortunate. The Americans won the SF courtesy of an over-active official and they won the Final thanks to an under-active official.

After watching the video, what more can you say? The united states team are just plain dirty players who will cheat to win by any means necessary. This is not a competitive drive as wambitch says, but simple ugly cheating.

To me, the fact that they attempt such blatant things proves that they are somewhat if not fully aware that the refs at this tournament are told to favour them... Something very rotten is going on at these olympics...

One of the reasons I have always liked the womens game is because you don't often see the type of crap being pulled by shady players and refs that we do in the mens game (thank you honduras and benito archundia). I think if nothing else, our semifinal, the final and possibly some other games from this tournament have opened up the worlds eyes to what is really going on.

Good job usa women, enjoy your sh*t show while it lasts. After these games, more and more eyes across the world will be watching and waiting for you to pull your shabby little tactics. Its going to get harder and harder to use them to "win" you matches.

I hope you save some of the polish from your medals down the road because you are going to need it to clean up your ever more tarnished reputation...

Archived