Semi-Final Game Ratings

So last nights ratings are out. Average viewership in Canada was 3.84 million and it peaked at 10.7 million. I think it's fair to say that the country is engaged in this team and everyone's watching.

This is truly something for Canadian Soccer to build on.

Some tidbits from this incredible ratings:

Greg McIsaac ‏@TSN_PR

The Women’s Soccer semifinal was the #2 most-watched Olympic event ever on #TSN - only behind Vancouver 2010 Hockey Gold Medal game #canWNT

This puts it as the 6th highest rated show for all of 2012:

Super Bowl - 7.3 million

Olympic Opening Ceremonies - 6.4 million

Acadamy Awards - 6.1 million

Grammy Awards - 4.8 million

Big Bang Theory Season finale - 4.0 million (I had no idea this is the highest rated show in Canada every week)

Women's Olympic Soccer Semi Finals- 3.8 million

So last nights ratings are out. Average viewership in Canada was 3.84 million and it peaked at 10.7 million. I think it's fair to say that the country is engaged in this team and everyone's watching.

This is truly something for Canadian Soccer to build on.

Some tidbits from this incredible ratings:

Greg McIsaac ‏@TSN_PR

The Women’s Soccer semifinal was the #2 most-watched Olympic event ever on #TSN - only behind Vancouver 2010 Hockey Gold Medal game #canWNT

Super Bowl - 7.3 million

Big Bang Theory Season finale - 4.0 million (I had no idea this is the highest rated show in Canada every week)

Now will any of this exposure convince big corporations to kick in some cash for our soccer programs? Fingers crossed.

Super Bowl - 7.3 million

Knock it down a bit more since the men's 100m final was 6.2 million and that entire afternoon's coverage was 4.3 million. Regardless, 3.84 million is an amazing number (consider the highest rated NHL playoff game this year was 3.34 million).

BTW, the quarterfinal rating was 841,000.

I was thinking yesterday that now would be the perfect time for the WMNT/CSA/whoever to raise some funds for the program. It may be somewhat opportunistic, but in the immediate wake of everyone's attention, indignation and/or outrage, someone at some level should be looking for ways to leverage this into an opportunity for increased funding.

Archived