Sinclair - GODDESS

Guest Ed

From Sportsnet (pardon the formatting):

POLL:

Who should win the 2012 Lou Marsh award?

Christine Sinclair

Joey Votto

Milos Raonic

Steven Stamkos

Claude Giroux

SUBMIT

See results

Christine Sinclair 72%

Joey Votto 10%

Steven Stamkos 7%

Claude Giroux 7%

Milos Raonic 3%

Vote Now

• 7 years later...

I thought of creating a thread for Christine Sinclair breaking the all time goals record yesterday. I was trying to decide between calling out the record itself in the title or just putting her name with "Legend" or "GOAT" or something to that effect. But I looked to see if there was a generic thread that already existed, and I loved the title of this one :D

Now some videos and links honouring her amazing accomplishment.

And here is one with reactions. I have a history of hating Abbey Wambach (possibly unfairly, it's hard to tell in sports fandom) but she gave a classy tribute to Sinclair in this, including what appears to be a video produced by/with Abbey just for this occasion? I assume that's Abbey narrating?

https://www.bardown.com/sports-world-congratulates-christine-sinclair-on-becoming-all-time-international-leading-scorer-1.1434816

• 2 years later...

Unusual for Sinclair, she has been doing the media rounds in promoting her book. The TSN interview seems to be longest.

She is looking to see Davies & Atiba at the World Cup. She thinks the agreement re equal pay is close to being signed. She says the CSA is listening to the players but were caught off guard with the success on the pitch by both teams. They don't help themselves at times but they are trying to support the programs & individuals. Mixed feelings about the CSA but they have supported her in getting to where she is today.

Matheson has 2 sponsors behind a women's league. She doesn't want NWSL in Canada - she wants a domestic league. Canada's female player development pathway is more by chance than by design. It's scary the resources the other countries are now putting into the women's game. 

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/christine-sinclair-talks-her-new-book-playing-the-long-game-a-memoir~2557141

Edited by red card

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 12:58 PM, Kent said:

I thought of creating a thread for Christine Sinclair breaking the all time goals record yesterday. I was trying to decide between calling out the record itself in the title or just putting her name with "Legend" or "GOAT" or something to that effect. But I looked to see if there was a generic thread that already existed, and I loved the title of this one :D

Now some videos and links honouring her amazing accomplishment.

And here is one with reactions. I have a history of hating Abbey Wambach (possibly unfairly, it's hard to tell in sports fandom) but she gave a classy tribute to Sinclair in this, including what appears to be a video produced by/with Abbey just for this occasion? I assume that's Abbey narrating?

https://www.bardown.com/sports-world-congratulates-christine-sinclair-on-becoming-all-time-international-leading-scorer-1.1434816

Holy shit. There have been 6 posts on this thread in the 3.5 years since Sinclair broke the international goals record. Today I got my 2nd like for the first post about her record breaking goal 3.5 years ago. That's insane. I don't aim to play the sexism card at all, but if Liam Millar got an assist against a 4th tier team in a cup game and his dad said he was proud it would get 20 likes. But a post about a Canadian having the most international goals all time regardless of gender gets 2 likes? I'm not surprised it's lower than posts about the men's team, but it's insanely low in my opinion.

There have only been 7 posts including this one since she broke the record 3.5 years ago (props to red card for making most of them). There were 0 posts between the 2012 Olympic Semi Final (before the first bronze) and her record breaking 185th goal (well after the 2nd bronze, before the gold, although there were no posts here about the gold).

So congratulations again Christine on the greatest Canadian international career of all time. Congrats on the Bronze, the other bronze, the goals record, and the gold medal! Good luck in this year's World Cup!!!

Edited by Kent
Some spelling corrections.