American Article on USA vs. Canada

superbrad

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so the rule is rarely called... but when does the bitterness towards the referee turn towards McLeod for pushing her luck? Frankly, I think she was poor on the own goal, and then add this. Together with her howlers coming off the line to punch, when does her performance come into question? Is it to LeBlanc for the bronze medal game?

OK, so the rule is rarely called... but when does the bitterness towards the referee turn towards McLeod for pushing her luck? Frankly, I think she was poor on the own goal, and then add this. Together with her howlers coming off the line to punch, when does her performance come into question? Is it to LeBlanc for the bronze medal game?

I've been playing/coaching/reffing soccer for 25 years and 'rarely' called is an understatement. I've never once seen this called at any level. If you consider it time wasting then it's a yellow card for unsporting behaviour. Add that to the missed handball earlier by the American player and you have instant suspicous officiating. I expect that when I play but not in a semi-final for a world tournament.

Putting that loss on McLeod is quite the stretch in my opinion.

The own goal was not her fault. Scott should have never left the near post. She did not need to, but she got sucked in by Morgan's run. McLeod cannot worry about that post. And she played much better against the US, so I cannot knock her for her performance in this game. She was very good. Yes, she held the ball too long, but so did the ego-maniac princess in the other goal.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/olympic-soccer-thriller-has-1493032.html

Interesting hearing the other side having the same perspective as everyone else....

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/07/us-canada-referee-pedersen-goalie-clear-about-mondays-decision-wrong/

There is a second good article on the NBC site. In particular, I liked reading a comparison to the constant travelling in the NBA. The author said that what the referee did is equivalent to cancelling a last second, game winning shot by Kobe Bryant in the play-offs, due to the travelling that all of the players have been doing throughout.

I've been playing/coaching/reffing soccer for 25 years and 'rarely' called is an understatement. I've never once seen this called at any level. If you consider it time wasting then it's a yellow card for unsporting behaviour. Add that to the missed handball earlier by the American player and you have instant suspicous officiating. I expect that when I play but not in a semi-final for a world tournament.

Putting that loss on McLeod is quite the stretch in my opinion.

I'm not putting the loss on McLeod. I can't even say for sure she held the ball for more than 6 seconds. But IF she did, them I'm just wondering out loud. I haven't reviewed the play and counted - I don't have it saved - and the article from ajc.com above seemed to suggest she'd held the ball for teens of seconds on multiple occasions. Her fault for the loss? No. But might her performance be under review given what transpired in this game and previous ones? I expect so.

This morning i went on the FIFA website. The first thing i read was "The World got the gold medal game it wanted" there was no referee mentioned. Now i hear, "they will investigate Canadian player comments". Well we all know most Football Associations are corrupt and "Good ol' Boys" networks. Just you wait until the World Cup in Qatar, every Qatari player will have a name starting with Cristiano. Thanks to Mr. Blatter.

Guest Birdstyle

Petty thefts are rarely prosecuted, it is not fair I got caught stealing! In a close game and you are holding the ball, you are going to be looked at closely. it is a rule. cant hold the ball goalie. Not the Americans fault or refs fault. Goalies fault. rule of the game.

My golf ball moved but no one saw it, should I be penalized? Hitting below the belt is a penalty. holding the ball shooting a foul shot for more than 10 seconds is a penalty and rarely called, shoudl it not be? Why have rule? People need to get over it and put the blame where it should be....on the goalie.

Petty thefts are rarely prosecuted, it is not fair I got caught stealing!

Particularly when everyone in the world has been encouraged to steal in the past and look, there's the mayor's kid walking out now with an armful of car stereos.

You are as bad at metaphors as you are at logic.

Petty thefts are rarely prosecuted, it is not fair I got caught stealing! In a close game and you are holding the ball, you are going to be looked at closely. it is a rule. cant hold the ball goalie. Not the Americans fault or refs fault. Goalies fault. rule of the game.

My golf ball moved but no one saw it, should I be penalized? Hitting below the belt is a penalty. holding the ball shooting a foul shot for more than 10 seconds is a penalty and rarely called, shoudl it not be? Why have rule? People need to get over it and put the blame where it should be....on the goalie.

Amazing how this whole thing brings out the idiot trolls.

It's just not called. Period.

Research by professionals found one call in the last fifty years. It's not something that is called 'a few times a year'.

It's just not done. You can't simply explain it as a rule, that is not good enough. It's beyond the expecations of everyone. Players, media, referees, fans ect...

Guest Birdstyle

so it is not a rule? That is what you are saying? maybe it is not called because there is not reason to call it? why hold the ball illegally in a close game with time running out? seems to me that is was called for a reason and the US player pointed out the obvious penalty "multiple times".

Pretty easy logic I think ... break a rule, get the prescribed penalty. Why is that so difficult?

Guest Birdstyle

I have not found any evidence that "everyone in the world has been encouraged to steal in the past"...do you have any references or can provide a link. I would be very interested to see where this is openly encouraged. that would sway my though process. Otherwise, how can one complain about a rule that is printed in black and white? During a close game with time running out - is seems that is why there IS a rule. to prevent goalies from cheating/taking advantage.

Guest Birdstyle

I DID see women going down like snipers took out their legs only to see them bounce up after a breather and continue play. is THAT encouraged? I know the french practice diving, but it is bad form and against the rules as well.

so it is not a rule? That is what you are saying? maybe it is not called because there is not reason to call it? why hold the ball illegally in a close game with time running out? seems to me that is was called for a reason and the US player pointed out the obvious penalty "multiple times".

Pretty easy logic I think ... break a rule, get the prescribed penalty. Why is that so difficult?

No, you are being totally pedantic if you think something that is so rare it is literally unprecedented and completely baffles media, referees and dedicated fans to simply appeal to the rule.

It's not logic at all, it's the opposite to make a massive change to the application of the rules with no warning in a semi final game.

If you just keep trolling people here, please fck off.

notsureif.png

He is from some sh!tty city called Ridgewood in New Jersey.

ISP: Verizon FiOS

Region/State: New Jersey

City: Ridgewood

Postal/Zip Code: 07450

Metro Code: 501

Area Code: 201

He is from some sh!tty city called Ridgewood in New Jersey.

ISP: Verizon FiOS

Region/State: New Jersey

City: Ridgewood

Postal/Zip Code: 07450

Metro Code: 501

Area Code: 201

Oh, Jersey? God, no wonder The Situation here is so maladjusted.

Guest Birdstyle

I am not - -really just curious why the huge "cheating" and "fixed" comments come from - seems fairly cut and dried to me if that is a rule..... **** happens, it is sports. the commentary here is comical. I have doubts it is a conspiracy or some kind of strategy to screw Canada. I rarely watch soccer but did watch this game. I saw a penalty called from what I understand is a black and white rule and then an obvious hand ball....not sure what the outrage is....

Archived