Ricketts Traded for Troy Perkins

Grizzly

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2012/08/montreal-impact-acquires-goalkeeper-troy-perkins

Montreal Impact acquires goalkeeper Troy Perkins

Donovan Ricketts traded to Timbers

7 August 2012

Press Release

Montreal Impact

portlandtimbers.com

MONTREAL, Quebec – The Montreal Impact announced Tuesday the acquisition of goalkeeper Troy Perkins from the Portland Timbers, in exchange for goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts.

Perkins, 31, playing in his seventh MLS season, has appeared in more than 150 MLS career games and has logged 13,477 minutes of regular season play, recording 36 shutouts.

WATCH: Perkins denies Brek Shea

Originally from Springfield, Ohio, he played with D.C. United from 2004 to 2007, and then in 2010, before being traded to the Timbers later that year. In 2008, he signed with Norwegian first division club Valerenga, helping the club win its first Norwegian Cup in six years. In 2009, he then started 33 games across all competitions, including two UEFA Cup matches, recording seven clean sheets.

Perkins was named the 2006 MLS Goalkeeper of the Year and selected to the MLS Best XI, after registering 15 wins in 2,700 minutes of play, while maintaining a goals-against average of 1,10 per game. That same year, he was also selected to the MLS All-Star team, earning a shutout against Chelsea.

“We are happy to be able to add Troy to our group and we think he will make an immediate impact in what we are trying to achieve,” said Impact head coach Jesse Marsch. “We feel this will help us make a strong push at the end of this year, as well as solidify ourselves for the future.”

With the Timbers, the 6’2 and 190 lbs goalkeeper has played a total of 51 games, and was named the 2011 Supporter’s Player of the Year. He recorded 14 wins and 12 shutouts with Portland.

This season, he played 22 games with the Timbers and was nominated for the MLS Save of the Week three times, winning the honour once (Week 12). Perkins also helped the Timbers set a new team record by not allowing a goal in 377 consecutive minutes of regular season play.

After completing his college career at the University of Evansville in 2003, following a transfer from the University of South Florida, Perkins joined D.C. United as an undrafted player.

Internationally, Perkins has played six games with the United States National Team, leading the team to the 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup Final, after registering three shutouts during the tournament as a starter.

On the other end, Donovan Ricketts played 24 games with the Impact this season, recording nine wins and three shutouts in 2,136 minutes of play. He was acquired on November 28, 2011, from the LA Galaxy.

“Donovan was a great professional in his time with our team,” added Marsch. “We wish him the best with his new club and thank him for what he has done here.”

“We would like to thank Donovan for his services with the Impact but we did not feel he fit into our plans moving forward,” said Impact sporting director Nick De Santis.

I don't think Ricketts play had anything to do with his age, he is in fantastic shape physically. The problem with Ricketts is he has fantastic reflexes and no technique. He can totally win games for you with fantastic saves but can also lose games and demoralize the team by making terrible errors on easily stopped shots. Plus his positioning and decision making is often poor. Playing on an expansion team some of his deficiencies were more exposed than previously there is nothing in his play that made me think age was a factor. And despite the occasional fantastic games of wonder saves, it is more important for a defence to know what their keeper can and can not stop, ie. better a consistent and reliable keeper than an up and down one who is great one match and terrible the next.

I haven't followed Perkins much this season so I don't know how he has played but on the face of it this seems to be a big win for the Impact and a perplexing deal on the part of Portland. Especially since Ricketts is making 275 k while Perkins is making 201 k plus Ricketts counts as an international. Possibly, Portland just decided they need a shake up since they are in last place and their playoff chances are disappearing or maybe the have other keeping plans for next year and Ricketts contract is shorter than Perkins.

I don't think Ricketts play had anything to do with his age, he is in fantastic shape physically. The problem with Ricketts is he has fantastic reflexes and no technique. He can totally win games for you with fantastic saves but can also lose games and demoralize the team by making terrible errors on easily stopped shots. Plus his positioning and decision making is often poor.

I just thought his lateral mobility was starting to go, especially with the subtle, quick feet re-positioning, undermining his overall positioning.

maybe the have other keeping plans for next year and Ricketts contract is shorter than Perkins.

To me, this is the only thing that makes any sense in this trade, that Perkins is on a long term deal and they have someone else coming in, and that Ricketts is intended as a stop-gap. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense for Portland.

Looks like a good upgrade for the Impact, though!

Ricketts is one of the better keepers in the league

If you are saying that you simply haven't watched him more than a few times this year. He has games in which he is unbeatable but for his overall performance I would say he has been one of the weakest keepers in the league. He has lost us more games than he has won us.

I just thought his lateral mobility was starting to go, especially with the subtle, quick feet re-positioning, undermining his overall positioning.

His lateral mobility is astounding, his reaction time is very fast and he is physically capable of moving large distances very quickly. He is out of position before the play starts on set pieces. He simply does not know where to stand. And he loses concentration and sometimes does not react at all and lets easy balls through his hands. He is a keeper of astounding physical ability who plays totally by instinct and relies on his physical ability. He has never learned the technique and art of being a keeper. I don't think age has anything to do with his performance rather his weaknesses have never been exposed before. He has played Jamaica league, lower division England and then behind a very good LA team. If Ricketts had ever learned to be a proper keeper he has all the skills to play EPL but he is all talent and no training. At times he really looks like a keeper you would see in pickup soccer in the way he plays certain situations.

^I guess we'll just agree to disagree on this one.

Maybe but I am an Impact season ticket holder and at Stade Saputo I am right behind the keeper, maybe a few metres away. I am very critical and disappointed in Ricketts but as far as what he can do physically there is no keeper I have seen so far in the league that is even close to him. Yet there are quite a few keepers who understand the game and the position much better than he does and that is why he is not as good a keeper as they are. From a purely physical aspect Ricketts is astounding so I find it pretty hard to understand someone talking about him having mobility problems.

You'll have to give me a link to a highlights package of his less flattering moments this season. I do agree with your point about original positioning problems and possibly not having the fundamentals to fall back upon. They sometimes get more exposed if your quick footwork isn't up to par.

You have obviously seen him a lot more than I have so thanks for the insight.

You'll have to give me a link to a highlights package of his less flattering moments this season. I do agree with your point about original positioning problems and possibly not having the fundamentals to fall back upon. They sometimes get more exposed if your quick footwork isn't up to par.

I usually like your posts Bearcat and am not trying to be a dick but I really suspected through our whole conversation that you (and several other who have commented here) had not really watched him enough to be judging his physical abilities. If you have watched him enough you would not be asking for a highlight package but would have seen his numerous flubs this season as well as the other games where he makes astounding reaction saves and saves requiring tremendous physical ability. People are just looking at his age and drawing conclusions as opposed to watching him actually play.

As I stated I watch him from about 4 or 5 metres away every home game as well as every visiting keeper. There is no keeper I can think of that I have seen in the league that has the agility and speed that Ricketts has. There is nothing wrong with his footspeed either but his footwork is clumsy at times. But that is poor training not age.

I will admit that outside of a few highlight reels I haven't seen him play much before this year. However, I highly doubt that he is playing worse this year than previously, the type of mistakes he makes have to do with poor training as a goalkeeper and bad technique not physical deterioration. He is simply getting exposed playing on an expansion team whose defence was shaky much of the year. Before that he played at the tier 3 and 4 level in England, not exactly high level, and was a starter for 2 years for the best team in MLS before losing the job to his backup. I am sure he faced far fewer shots in LA than in Montreal and the occasional flub did not hurt LA to the extent that it has hurt Montreal this year.

Ricketts is a highlight reel keeper but you can not depend on him to make the saves any competent keeper should make, ie. the ones that do not require tremendous physical ability but require understanding how to play the position.

Never liked Donovan Ricketts, ever since I saw him play for Jamaica at '99 Pan-Am Games in Winnipeg. Like Grizz I thought he was a competent athlete, but lacked technique. Just not the GK type I'd prefer.

But nevertheless, good luck to him in Portland; he'll likely be a thorn on the side of LA Galaxy, his former club. Perkins has the credentials, including a great stint with Valerenga ... who else played there? ;-)

To me, this is the only thing that makes any sense in this trade, that Perkins is on a long term deal and they have someone else coming in, and that Ricketts is intended as a stop-gap. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense for Portland.

Looks like a good upgrade for the Impact, though!

I heard the Impact are paying both salaries until the end of the season or something like that.

I haven't followed Perkins much this season so I don't know how he has played but on the face of it this seems to be a big win for the Impact and a perplexing deal on the part of Portland. Especially since Ricketts is making 275 k while Perkins is making 201 k plus Ricketts counts as an international. Possibly, Portland just decided they need a shake up since they are in last place and their playoff chances are disappearing or maybe the have other keeping plans for next year and Ricketts contract is shorter than Perkins.

Ricketts doesn't count as an international. He has a green card or a US Citizenship

A bit late to this thread but it caught my eye on this visit to the forum. Grizzly is bang on on his assessment of Ricketts. His age and fitness are simply not in question. He's a great reaction keeper and is in as good physical condition as any keeper we've seen in opposition. Trouble is he's terrible in the air, has no command of his area, is unpredictable in his positioning, and is generally a menace to his own defenders. His great saves have often come directly from being in a bad position in the first place.

For most of us who've seen most Impact games this season, the Perkins for Ricketts tradeis was a stroke of genius. I don't know who was responsible for this on the Impact, but this was a coup for the club. Whoever was responsible for it on the Timbers side should be fired. This is total win for the Impact, and a stupid move for the Timbers.

So far, the only goal Perkins has conceded is from a penalty. He and his defenders still have to make some adjustments, but I think we're already seeing the benefits of this trade.

Archived