Can we keep Herdman?

The Beaver

I know we still have a huge game against the French to see out, but the question that should be on everybody's mind is: How much longer will Herdman be our coach? I could see several nations wanting his services, but none more attractive than Mother England. If they called, would he leave right away? My hope is that he will want to at least see if he can finish the work he has started with Canada, to at least see us into the next World Cup. It could be Sinclair's last World Cup, and he might just want to see what he can do with one of the game's all time best players. At the moment I do not want him to ever leave. I want him to eventually take over as technical director, with special focus on developing coaches right across this country. Damned impressed with him thus far. I want to see how much further he can take this team. I think they could easily be a top four team now, the sort that competes for gold and world championships.

Hope Powell is been 'touted' for a potential role at a Men Football league club, by the Media and chattering classes. She hold s the FIFA pro coaching licence so she is qualified. Probably more so than some of the indiduals currently in charge at various levels.

Still a big step to take though.

I would worry more for Herdmans not to be offered something in the WPL. After the showcasing the game got over the last couple of weeks It will be interseting to see how this intrest in the womens game is maintained.

Heck with the collapse of the US league who know who will end up where?

Sinclair at Arsenal Ladies?

Anybody know how long Herdman's contract? I would think the fact that the 2015 World Cup being in Canada would be enough to make him stay

Contract Length wouldn't necessarily stop the FA from trying to buy it out if they wanted to chase him badly enough.

Would he decline it? Would CSA refuse the (BIG) money?

You have to think that a young man like Herdman, who seems to have is head rooted firmly on his shoulders, knows that his stock is not going to go down any time soon. He is only 36. Canada hosts the next world cup. Sinclair should still be a viable player in three years, along with many of her cohorts. He has not finished the job yet, and I suspect HE feels that there is more yet to do. Seeing Canada through the next world cup will likely be his commitment. He won't even be 40 by the time that tournament is over. And without a doubt the English will still need a great coach.

I want him to eventually take over as technical director, with special focus on developing coaches right across this country.

He certainly appears to have strong player management skills ("soft skills" as some posters here have called them). Not sure how much of these instinctive attributes can be taught, but maybe I'm wrong.

From what I have read from commentators and opposing coaches is how much stronger and fitter Canada is compared to the previous regime. That's a big factor in contributing to the much discussed "mental toughness" dimension. They looked superior to Great Britain in that department and most of the starting players were matching up well again the Americans yesterday.

Massive, massive props to the coach and his staff.

I would worry more for Herdmans not to be offered something in the WPL. After the showcasing the game got over the last couple of weeks It will be interseting to see how this intrest in the womens game is maintained.

Heck with the collapse of the US league who know who will end up where?

Sinclair at Arsenal Ladies?

Herdman would only leave to be England coach. The new women's superleague in England is still very modest economically with total budgets of 200k to 300k and only a handful of players are full time. A coaching gig in it would be a big step down both in status and pay.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/14/fa-womens-super-league

Herdman would only leave to be England coach. The new women's superleague in England is still very modest economically with total budgets of 200k to 300k and only a handful of players are full time. A coaching gig in it would be a big step down both in status and pay.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/14/fa-womens-super-league

Indeed. And I think those Budgets won't go crazy anytime soon. It all depends if gates improve on the back of the Olympic exposure.

Interesting rumblings out of FA HQ coming from Bevington, with regards to finding a way to keep a Womens GB team for Olympic Level.

Mens team was, without question, a one off.

Archived