beIN Sport about to change Cdn football tv landscape?

red card

beIN Sport - owned by a Qatar group that also owns Al-Jazeera has gotten the North American rights for la Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1 & South American WC qualifers.

They are launching a new network in the US:

http://www.beinsport.tv/

In Canada, with CRTC, it won't be that easy. So. there are talks that beIN Sport will buy a stake in TLN and likely rebrand Euroworld Sport in order to be able show the season opening matches. With no rights to Ligue 1 & Serie A, only thing left for EWS is FIFA sublicensed rights from CBC. Basically, they will be showing Fox Soccer Report 24/7.

CanadaSoccer TV says he will have more info on Monday:

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerTV/status/226459153604952064

Score's main soccer producer has also just left for..?

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/2012/08/05/brendon-dunlop-thomas-dobby-leave-the-score/

Partnering with GOLtv Canada is also an option for beIN Sport.

Down the road when EPL rights come up for renewal, beIN Sport puts Rogers and their Sportsnet World franchise in a quandry.

I hope this means the quality of broadcasts will improve, cuz the quantity surely won't. At least not quantity of live telecasts. Ligue 1, Serie A and La Liga matches are played at the same time so it kinda sucks that one channel tries to show all 3 leagues.

Al-Jazeera provides the best news coverage in the world so I'm hoping the soccer coverage will be of a higher standard than what we've gotten used to.

I hope this means the quality of broadcasts will improve, cuz the quantity surely won't. At least not quantity of live telecasts. Ligue 1, Serie A and La Liga matches are played at the same time so it kinda sucks that one channel tries to show all 3 leagues.

Al-Jazeera provides the best news coverage in the world so I'm hoping the soccer coverage will be of a higher standard than what we've gotten used to.

I don't understand why they can't PPV matches. Is this a CRTC thing?

there are talks that beIN Sport will buy a stake in TLN and likely rebrand Euroworld Sport in order to be able show the season opening matches. With no rights to Ligue 1 & Serie A, only thing left for EWS is FIFA sublicensed rights from CBC. Basically, they will be showing Fox Soccer Report 24/7.

FSR went off the air last Thursday. EWS is now stuck showing some highlight package of old World Cups 24/7 with commercial breaks for Food show ads on TLN...this **** needs to get fixed asap.

FSR went off the air last Thursday. EWS is now stuck showing some highlight package of old World Cups 24/7 with commercial breaks for Food show ads on TLN...this **** needs to get fixed asap.

Yeah, I was wondering where the Ligue 1 matches on EWS went. Now I know.

FSR got a facelift and a name change but its basically still the same show (with some improvements that I'm happy to see).

Is that the show with Kara Lang and some incomprehensible Scot that people are complaining about?

Who? Thomas Rongen? He's Dutch, not Scottish. Unless you mean Bobby McMahon (aka "The only good reason to watch FSWR"), but he was on the Winnipeg version of the show so he's not new.

Who? Thomas Rongen? He's Dutch, not Scottish. Unless you mean Bobby McMahon (aka "The only good reason to watch FSWR"), but he was on the Winnipeg version of the show so he's not new.

Are you talking about what Ted is talking about?

http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?44776-Soccer-Central-Merged-with-Fox-Soccer-News

I haven't seen any Soccer Central or new-FSR show...all i know is that FSR went off the air on EWS and they're no longer showing anything of value.

Possibly. The one I'm talking about also had a Kara Lang in it. But it wasn't that bad. More analysis and discussion compared to the old Winnipeg show (FSWR). But I've only seen one episode so far.

Then that's probably it...when Ted said "brogue" i figured he meant some Brit guy. I can see how someone would find Rongen a little hard to follow...

Then that's probably it...when Ted said "brogue" i figured he meant some Brit guy. I can see how someone would find Rongen a little hard to follow...

hmmm... then I don't understand the complaints.

Yes, the anchors aren't the most experienced and smooth talking people around, but that was always the case with the old FSWR anyway. At least the show is less scripted than before. Also they stopped doing that annoying thing where the first 10 minutes of the second half-hour is an exact repeat of the first 10 minutes of the start of the show. Most importantly, they now show highlights of soccer matches played earlier that night (for e.g., last night they showed highlights of the CONCACAF CL games that were played on Wednesday night - FAS v Houston, etc.).

In somewhat related news, Rogers has bought The Score and will be rebranding it as another sportsnet channel. Hopefully Sharman and KJ will be coming along to contribute.

I can't believe the CRTC is allowing Rogers to buy them, at this point there aren't many channels left that aren't owned by Rogers or Bell.

"Brogue" is almost never used in any context other than Scottish. ;) I was not referring to Rongen whom I actually found more annoying than the Scot.

Also they stopped doing that annoying thing where the first 10 minutes of the second half-hour is an exact repeat of the first 10 minutes of the start of the show.

Good move but after watching the real Soccer Central from Saturday with Gerry and Craig I have to say I prefer the "classic" to the "new" version. Sure Soccer Central could be improved but I still find the new Fox thing unwatchable.

Rumour has it that EuroWorld Sport may be rebranded as beIN Sport Canada.

I can't believe the CRTC is allowing Rogers to buy them, at this point there aren't many channels left that aren't owned by Rogers or Bell.
In particular, with this and their recent acquisition of MLSE and therefore GolTV Canada, they now own all of the sports channels except EuroWorld Sport. Not to mention 5 of the 7 professional sports teams in Toronto -- no, no anti-competitiveness or conflicts of interest here. :mad:

In particular, with this and their recent acquisition of MLSE and therefore GolTV Canada, they now own all of the sports channels except EuroWorld Sport. Not to mention 5 of the 7 professional sports teams in Toronto -- no, no anti-competitiveness or conflicts of interest here. :mad:

Isn't it ridiculous!? People make a big stink about media convergence in the States and how 5 or 6 conglomerates own 80% of the channels or something, but that's nothing compared to Canada!

Archived