2012 Olympics Match #5: Canada v. USA

Vic

All this discussion about the free kick for failing to release the ball is very interesting and in the case of today's match extremely unfortunate.

However, as one V posted in this thread earlier after PVRing the incident, why did McLeod feel the need to hold the ball for 15 seconds? Not meant as criticism but if, as a goalie, you knew you had six seconds possibly even 8 or 9 with a lenient official, why take so long to put the ball back in to play?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody's disputing what's in the Laws. The dispute is over practice; i.e. if referees around the world never call a given infraction then bringing it out one time out of the many it applies to give one particular team a serious advantage is shocking refereeing.

He's right and I don't have the time to find a source.

A keeper who's wasting time for a restart (Free Kick or a goal kick) will be shown a YC.

A keeper failing to release the ball from his hands after 6 seconds will be called for a foul and an indirect free kick will be awarded to the opposing team.

That being said, it's a call you almost never see because the penalty (indirect free kick) is very harsh.

That's the bloody point. I'd bet the number of yellow cards handed out to goalkeepers for time wasting outnumber an indirect free kick by 50,000 to 1.

But it happens in the semi final of a match at the Olympics with Canada leading the USA with 20 minutes to go? Against a keeper who hasn't already been booked for time wasting?

Where's the wonder the blocked shot turned out to being called a hand ball? The only way the US wasn't getting a goal out of that set up by the ref was if Wambach missed the goal on the spot kick.

A CSA rep or Olympic official in London needs to lose their mind, publicly. I'm talking chair throwing at a press conference sort of stuff. Get sanctioned for it but do it. If just to let the spotlight shine on this moment just a few more seconds. This is rubbish.

That's the bloody point. I'd bet the number of yellow cards handed out to goalkeepers for time wasting outnumber an indirect free kick by 50,000 to 1.

But it happens in the semi final of a match at the Olympics with Canada leading the USA with 20 minutes to go? Against a keeper who hasn't already been booked for time wasting?

Where's the wonder the blocked shot turned out to being called a hand ball? The only way the US wasn't getting a goal out of that set up by the ref was if Wambach missed the goal on the spot kick.

A CSA rep or Olympic official in London needs to lose their mind, publicly. I'm talking chair throwing at a press conference sort of stuff. Get sanctioned for it but do it. If just to let the spotlight shine on this moment just a few more seconds. This is rubbish.

Just once, I'd like to see a coach literally spit in a bent referees face, consequences be damned.

+1

By the way, I am not much impressed by Kyle.

Not only in this match, she made tons of mistake on passing and ball handling through out the tournament.

On 83rd min, she missed a golden scoring chance by not pass the ball cross to Sinclair. Instead she chose to shot at

the edge of 18 yard box.

Not going to comment on the calls as I am too sick about it, but on a more positive note...

Here are three things I saw in the game today that have either been absent or atypical in the past:

1) At the end of 90 and in extra time the Women seemed to have as much stamina as the Americans. This is a major improvement.

2) When under pressure the women didn't panic and hoof the ball down the field nearly as much as they used to. Sometimes this got them into trouble but it also significantly reduced the possession deficit.

3) There were many examples of clinical passing in the final third. Rather than relying on Sinclair to create on her own, they created as a team on many occasions. The fear of Sinclair being marked out of the game and the women having no answers has been unwarranted (although I had the same fear just like everyone else).

If the women can play like this consistently they will be a force to be reckoned with.

I would also like to know what the rules state in regards to where the ball should be spotted in such cases. As i alluded to earlier in the thread, the only circumstances i have seen such play is on back passes to the keeper wherby its handled by the keeper. Thats a relaively new rule BTW. In that case its easy to determine where you spot the ball (ie you spot it where the keeper touched it).

But if such a six second rule exist, which i will take peoples word on it, where to you spot the ball? Why not at the edge of the box down at the goal line? Hell the keeper never stays in one place any ways.

So why did the ref spot the ball in such an ideal spot for them?

It won't make anyone feel any better for a long time but think about this:

Years from now Christine Sinclair will be remembered as one of the best Canadian athletes of her generation, one of the best female players EVER in her sport, and, on a career defining night, as the woman who scored a hat trick in an Olympic semifinal against her team's biggest rival and possibly the best team in the world that SHOULD have seen her team into an Olympic final. That is a series of accomplishments that may never be equalled by a Canadian soccer player.

Christian Pederson will be remembered as the woman who ruined the most thrilling Olympic semifinal of all time. She will never have a more defining moment in her career; probably not in her life. Yes, I'm sure she'll have personal triumphs and tragedies that will be of more importance to her but tonight, in Manchester, will be the moment that defines her to the rest of the world. And she FAILED. For the rest of her life, to anyone but the most blinkered American apologist, she will be remembered as the woman who stepped up on the big stage, was handed control, and FAILED.

Who would you rather be?

I feel horrible for the Canadian women. Honestly, I didn't even believe they had it in them to get there nor compete with the Americans. They proved me utterly and completely wrong. They still have a game to play for a medal and to complete the redemption for 2011. C'mon you Reds!

In place and "enforced late in close semifinal" (or any other match for that matter) are very, very different things.

Sorry, I thought he was saying the ref made up that rule.

As for an example of this call, I remember seeing it maybe once or twice. Not a call you'll see often because keepers will usually comply to the ref warning.

I would also like to know what the rules state in regards to where the ball should be spotted in such cases. As i alluded to earlier in the thread, the only circumstances i have seen such play is on back passes to the keeper wherby its handled by the keeper. Thats a relaively new rule BTW. In that case its easy to determine where you spot the ball (ie you spot it where the keeper touched it).

But if such a six second rule exist, which i will take peoples word on it, where to you spot the ball? Why not at the edge of the box down at the goal line? Hell the keeper never stays in one place any ways.

So why did the ref spot the ball in such an ideal spot for them?

I guess the ball will be placed where the keeper was when he or she committed the foul. In today case it seems where Mcleod was when the ref felt she took too much time.

Mcleod deserves some blame in this, she really did'nt need to push it, especially if the linesmen said something to her. I haven't been impressed with her at all this tournament, she has looked really bad coming out on crosses and came out wildly tonite in a spot that she never should have and got lucky to get a foul called.

I agree with the poster who said Kyle has looked bad, she has. Also Filigno apart from that wonder goal gives up possession way too often and is easily knocked off the ball. Not trying to take anything away, the team overall has been fantastic but I feel like there are a few weak spots that could be improved on.

Hope Solo: "We made her look good. We didn't win those air battles."

Must be part of that different defense the US is playing now.

Hope Solo is the biggest dink on the US team. She was hopeless on all three goals. She spends too much time plucking those eyebrows. She has no class whatsoever. I do not think this is the case for all her teammates mind you. She is a headcase.

I see there's a lot of peed off posters here complaining about the refereeing being biased. I feel the ref kind of lost some control but basically it was fair. The hand ball penalty was brutal but I find refs call that all the time and never follow the intent of the rule (but I could be wrong)

Still, couldn't be more proud and as predicted we would be great. Actually happy that if we had to lose it was 11v11 and not on PK. Unfortunately I think the letdown will be too much vs France but if I was Herdman, I would tell the girls that the USA game wasn't the end but actually the beginning of a whole new outlook.

I see there's a lot of peed off posters here complaining about the refereeing being biased. I feel the ref kind of lost some control but basically it was fair. The hand ball penalty was brutal but I find refs call that all the time and never follow the intent of the rule (but I could be wrong)

Still, couldn't be more proud and as predicted we would be great. Actually happy that if we had to lose it was 11v11 and not on PK. Unfortunately I think the letdown will be too much vs France but if I was Herdman, I would tell the girls that the USA game wasn't the end but actually the beginning of a whole new outlook.

I think they will get up for France, yes. And yes, this is the beginning of a whole new outlook. Actually, it started when Canada scored twice and dominated the Swedes for 70 minutes. They looked head and shoulders better than the Swedes, and with a makeshift D that needed to learn a thing or two along the way. They truly believe in themselves. AND they are playing good football. They have more to learn, but they will learn. I expect a tight game with the French, but WE will show up.

Hope Solo is the biggest dink on the US team. She was hopeless on all three goals. She spends too much time plucking those eyebrows. She has no class whatsoever. I do not think this is the case for all her teammates mind you. She is a headcase.

I just cancelled her book I had pre-ordered from Amazon. She is a has been!

I just hope we wipe the floor with France and take home the most deserved bronze medal in Canadian olympic history.

Frankly, I think it's the least deserved. The match ought to have ended 3-2, we should be guaranteed at least a silver as of now. The bronze is the best we can get because we were cheated, we earned at least a silver.

Exactly RCF. It's amusing and frustrating at the same time to see commenters from the USA saying such things as "those calls didn't cost you the game" or taking shots at Canadians for whining. I seem to recall an injustice done to the USA in 2010. The "whining" was incessent but it was valid ... just like our "whining" is valid.

Robbery is robbery whether it be at these 2012 Olympics or at the 2010 World Cup.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/US-robbed-of-World-Cup-win-over-Slovenia-by-awful-referee-call

So, those Yanks who are whining about our whining, just STFU hypocrites.

Did you see my post a few days back about all this, here: http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?44678-Honduras-was-robbed

Somethings are indeed predetermined and it has a lot to do with how football favours the powerful and obliges the underdog to defeat 11 plus ref plus the geeks in the offices to get past the favourite.

Regarding US reaction, listening to Fox Sports Radio tonight and Julie Foudy was in fact critical with the 6-second call, saying she thought it was unusual and highly rare, and indeed uncalled for, unless there had been a clear warning. So effectively that we had a case. So not all US press is washing it over, all power to her.

Exactly RCF. It's amusing and frustrating at the same time to see commenters from the USA saying such things as "those calls didn't cost you the game" or taking shots at Canadians for whining. I seem to recall an injustice done to the USA in 2010. The "whining" was incessent but it was valid ... just like our "whining" is valid.

Robbery is robbery whether it be at these 2012 Olympics or at the 2010 World Cup.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/US-robbed-of-World-Cup-win-over-Slovenia-by-awful-referee-call

So, those Yanks who are whining about our whining, just STFU hypocrites.

But That call that went against the americans at the WC occurred in the group stage. Not the knock out phase. The US still advanced out of their group and, if i am not mistaken, they may have still finished first in their group. Not the same impact as yesterdays's call. Not close.

It was a poor call, but you see that one often in soccer.

I havce bitched about Sinclair.... today I eat lots of crow, Sinclair played a great game full marks, she stepped up in a critical game and put her stamp on the game....

You just scored big points with me Trillium, not too many here will step up and admit that they were wrong about anything - takes a big man to do that. Cheers to you for doing so.

Archived