2012 Olympics Match #5: Canada v. USA

Vic

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope Solo should really just shut her mouth. So first she goes out of her way to defend her defenders and call out an analyst on twitter and now she goes out of her way to discredit an opponent and throw her own teammates under the bus. Something tells me Hope just likes the attention.

Canada-U.S. soccer ref defended by father

"She don't play with USA flag," Rolf Pedersen, the father of Christina Pedersen, told CBC News. "She's just an objective referee."

Pedersen spoke with his daughter for 10 minutes on Tuesday and said she was extremely "sad" that her calls prompted such an outrage from players and the media...

In the meantime, she was going to go for long runs to try to get the controversy out of her mind.

here's hoping she bumps into a Canadian female judoka or boxer on one of her runs

Guest Birdstyle

Of course she counted..is it not against the rules? What is wrong with pointing it out. Why have a rule? Was the goalie not warned? Quit your complaining. If they played by basic rules every high school goalie is taught, it would be a Canada win. Blame the goalie, not the ref..and certainly not the American player.

Guest Birdstyle

And the comment Morgan made about fitness was spot on...either that or multiple miracles were observed by seemingly crippling injuries that were somehow erased in 60 seconds by an act of God. Academy awards should be awarded.

Hey Guys,

I urge you all true supporters to drop an e-mail to the Norweigian FA to complain about their Match Official Christina Pederson. (her name should be on the Subject Line)

As we all know, obviously nothing will change with the result, but this piece of work cannot get away with this so easily. If this sets her back even the smallest amount as an Accredited FIFA Referee, then it was well worth it.

E Mail address for the Norweigian FA: nff@fotball.no

I am unsure what FIFA or IOC will do but if they suspend Sinclair, Tancredi amd Herdman I think the players could not walk onto the pitch in protest. It would be a first Yes but would grab the Worlds Attention.

What will FIFA do? Award the 2015WC to Zimbabwe?

They cannot penalize us with -xxx points during qualifications because We are the Host country.

Only thing might be a ban on a future Olympics that it. Even that might be harsh to belive. If all players were sick with stomach aches right before the game.

Or even with Herdman, Sinclair and Tancredi suspended the girls might show they know how to play. Well we will see Wednesday what will happen. Could be well that any suspensions might be announced After the Olympics as not to draw media attention.

Of course she counted..is it not against the rules? What is wrong with pointing it out. Why have a rule? Was the goalie not warned? Quit your complaining. If they played by basic rules every high school goalie is taught, it would be a Canada win. Blame the goalie, not the ref..and certainly not the American player.
Not the point at all. The point is that the ref cowered to US pressure. She was intimidated and did not take control of the situation. If she wanted to get the point across to McLeod--and she would have had to do the same for Solo--all she should have done was give McLeod a full and proper warning. She did not do that. She handled it very poorly. Wambach can do her counting, but as an official I would warn her to lay off, and then if she continued I'd card her for dissent. But I would also talk to McLeod in very clear terms that if she delays again, she will be penalized. Poor officiating all around. Do you even follow soccer?

And the comment Morgan made about fitness was spot on...either that or multiple miracles were observed by seemingly crippling injuries that were somehow erased in 60 seconds by an act of God. Academy awards should be awarded.

Go troll somewhere else.

Right, and your high school ref would award that PK on the ball to hand, right?

Just checking, basic rules and all that, y'know??

I hope the next time we play the USA in a "friendly" the girls read these comments before the game and we go out and physically beat them to a pulp. Win, lose whatever old school teach these arrogant, loud mouthed ladies a lesson about how to keep your mouths shut when you literally get handed a win. I hope Tancredi steps on every one of their faces.

Hey Guys,

I urge you all true supporters to drop an e-mail to the Norweigian FA to complain about their Match Official Christina Pederson. (her name should be on the Subject Line)

As we all know, obviously nothing will change with the result, but this piece of work cannot get away with this so easily. If this sets her back even the smallest amount as an Accredited FIFA Referee, then it was well worth it.

E Mail address for the Norweigian FA: nff@fotball.no

Actually more appropriate would be the FIFA head of officiating for women, Sonia Denoncourt who is from... (wait for it)... Canada.

I work with an American fellow and he said that the referee could not issue a yellow card for delaying the game. His words were:

"It is not like a goal kick where you can issue a yellow card for “delaying a restart”. The only thing the referee can do is award an indirect free kick."

Is this true? I always thought that a delay of play includes deliberate time-wasting tactics regardless? Would like to confirm as I am quite sure she could have shown McLeod the yellow if she had wanted to.

I still do not know how the ref makes that call?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/fifa-delays-suspension-decision-on-canadian-womens-soccer-team/article4469079/

Yes that is my understanding, too, vgreen. Technically since the ball was still in-play the only thing the ref could do is give a warning and then call the delay of game foul resulting in a change of possession. Had the ball been out of play (goal kick, throw in, etc) then the appropriate course of action would be a warning and yellow card for delaying to restart, but there is no change in possession. At least that's my understanding...

Yes that is my understanding, too, vgreen. Technically since the ball was still in-play the only thing the ref could do is give a warning and then call the delay of game foul resulting in a change of possession. Had the ball been out of play (goal kick, throw in, etc) then the appropriate course of action would be a warning and yellow card for delaying to restart, but there is no change in possession. At least that's my understanding...

Thanks for the response. I was almost positive that the ref could issue a yellow for all delay of game situations. Not that it changes anything as the indirect free kick was wrong on all levels.

What the referee could have legally done was to wait until the ball was next out of play, then approach the goalkeeper, give her a warning or simply issue her a yellow card for unsporting behavior. Then restart the game with whatever the proper restart after the ball had gone out of play, i.e. throw-in. This way the referee gets her message across and does not influence the result of the game.

What the referee could have legally done was to wait until the ball was next out of play, then approach the goalkeeper, give her a warning or simply issue her a yellow card for unsporting behavior. Then restart the game with whatever the proper restart after the ball had gone out of play, i.e. throw-in. This way the referee gets her message across and does not influence the result of the game.

Great post and agreed.

Actually seen that self same senario play out in the Champions League on a number of occasions.

Archived