Aug 1st - Toronto FC vs CD Aguila (R)

This was the first ever CCL game involving a Canadian team not broadcast in Canada.

Kind of sad that Gol TV didn't end up picking it up, considering they own TFC as well.

As for the game, nice to see TFC get the job done. August 28 should be interesting.

According to reports:

There were travel issues incurred by Aguila players. Plane was delayed in Miami.

Aguila players landed in Toronto at 4:00 p.m. yesterday, and were playing four hours later. I was at the game and had just assumed that they were a terrible team.

According to reports:

There were travel issues incurred by Aguila players. Plane was delayed in Miami.

Aguila players landed in Toronto at 4:00 p.m. yesterday, and were playing four hours later. I was at the game and had just assumed that they were a terrible team.

Not just that. Their physical trainer and their doctor didn't make the trip because the club wanted to save some money. I felt sorry for Aguila even before the match started.

Cant help but think (as others at the game mentioned) at how Stinson seems to have fallen out of favor with this coaching regime. Last year, he was getting lots of minutes, and even starting in CCL games. But, last night, the first sub in for Frings was Maund (another D mid). Later, they brought in Hall and again, this was another of roles that Stinson was suited for and relied on to fill in the past (ie.: D Mid and RB).

^ Can't help but think it is Mariner's regime trying to justify a first round pick. Perhaps it was Mariner who scouted and recommended him? I don't rate Maund at all from what i have seen from him, but have to admit I haven't seen as much from Stinson as last year either. I would like to see him (Stinson) get an extended run to see if he could duplicate last year's form.

Mariner has mentioned how he compares Maund to Jeff Laurentowitz and that how Laurentowitz was drafted to play as defender but that he eventually became a great defensive mid fielder. So, its not unreasonable to expect that D mid is what he is developing Maund to play.

^ Can't help but think it is Mariner's regime trying to justify a first round pick. Perhaps it was Mariner who scouted and recommended him? I don't rate Maund at all from what i have seen from him, but have to admit I haven't seen as much from Stinson as last year either. I would like to see him (Stinson) get an extended run to see if he could duplicate last year's form.

Just taking a wild guess here but I think Mariner likes that really strong, box to box destroyer in the middle of the park, someone who is also a good aerial presence. At NE he and Nicol were spoiled with Shalrie Joseph at his best and last year he thought Tchani would be the answer. Maund gives you nothing offensively but he could be groomed to do the Kevin Harmse-style road block in front of the back four. Right now, Maund looks really raw but he can only get better in a pro environment and he might develop as he becomes more familiar with the skillset of that position, as Free kick notes. Jury will be out for awhile.

I'm not that surprised to see Stinson on the fringes this year as compared to last season. Sometimes very young guys make a big splash but then plateau somewhat in their development (i.e. Gage). I remember having a good debate here with those who felt the sky was more or less the limit for him with his playing alongside guys like Frings, but his pro experience last year didn't translate into a midfield place at the Olympic qualifications (a 17 year old French academy product and an NCAA guy were the holding mids) and his play at RB was n't noteworthy enough for him to get the semi final start vs Mexico).

He wasn't even getting into Winter's side this year (apart from right wingback start that is best forgotten), so I don't think it's a Mariner issue.

Well, I am much less optimistic on Maund, probably because somewhere, we have to have a 23 year old unemployed Canadian who can show at least as much potential.

I lumped Stinson's Olympic performance into my "haven't seen as much from him this year" comment. I still have hope for him as a solid box to box midfielder.

Archived