2012 Olympics Match #4: Canada v. Team Great Britain

Vic

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly, USA, we always play them close, are ripe for the picking.

You seem to forget the 4-0 US win this year against 7 months ago in qualifiers. I'm not trying to be a downer but

we have to play a game even better than today to beat the Americans. It's always possible but like I said early to

celebrate just yet.

Excellent result for the ladies, congrads!

Its too bad we had to get the yank women in the semi's. But if you want a gold medal draped around your neck we have to beat them sometime. Canada has been carrying a red,white and blue monkey on their backs for too long... Its time to beat them.

My worry is that our girls are their own worst enemy at times. They play great for 15-20 minutes and then drop off for about the same and then pick it up and then drop off again. They are too inconsistent. We have improved by leaps and bounds, but individual sloppy mistakes cost us too often in all areas of the field. If only we could play 90 minutes of the type of football we showed in the opening 20 minutes we would be competing for the number one or two ranking.

But we are still something of a work in progress. So, the Olympic semi finals are the perfect proving ground for us to break out and take it too the next level. If we beat the american's we can all rest assured we have broken through! The "theater of dreams" is the perfect place for the girls to show what they can do!

That damn monkey has been getting a free ride for too long :P

Excellent result for the ladies, congrads!

Its too bad we had to get the yank women in the semi's. But if you want a gold medal draped around your neck we have to beat them sometime. Canada has been carrying a red,white and blue monkey on their backs for too long... Its time to beat them.

My worry is that our girls are their own worst enemy at times. They play great for 15-20 minutes and then drop off for about the same and then pick it up and then drop off again. They are too inconsistent. We have improved by leaps and bounds, but individual sloppy mistakes cost us too often in all areas of the field. If only we could play 90 minutes of the type of football we showed in the opening 20 minutes we would be competing for the number one or two ranking.

But we are still something of a work in progress. So, the Olympic semi finals are the perfect proving ground for us to break out and take it too the next level. If we beat the american's we can all rest assured we have broken through! The "theater of dreams" is the perfect place for the girls to show what they can do!

That damn monkey has been getting a free ride for too long :P

Yes and no.

No to this: "Its too bad we had to get the yank women in the semi's." "My worry is that our girls are their own worst enemy at times. They play great for 15-20 minutes and then drop off for about the same and then pick it up and then drop off again. They are too inconsistent. We have improved by leaps and bounds, but individual sloppy mistakes cost us too often in all areas of the field. If only we could play 90 minutes of the type of football we showed in the opening 20 minutes we would be competing for the number one or two ranking." Not that you are wrong in your observation, just don't want to think that way going forward.

Yes to this: "Canada has been carrying a red,white and blue monkey on their backs for too long... Its time to beat them." "But we are still something of a work in progress. So, the Olympic semi finals are the perfect proving ground for us to break out and take it too the next level. If we beat the american's we can all rest assured we have broken through! The "theater of dreams" is the perfect place for the girls to show what they can do!"

Abso-frickin'-lutely!!! If there was ever a time for us to beat the "big sister" that has been bullying us for far too long, now would be just about perfect. Given the choice, would you rather get payback during a friendly with a few people paying attention or during the freakin' Olympics with half the world watching??

You seem to forget the 4-0 US win this year against 7 months ago in qualifiers. I'm not trying to be a downer but we have to play a game even better than today to beat the Americans. It's always possible but like I said early to

celebrate just yet.

And you seem to forget the 2-1 loss of one month ago where Canada scored an own goal, a goal that didn't count, and a goal that made the highlight reels. The US have always found a way to come out on top but sooner or later the odds will catch up.

The choice was between the United States and France. Two excellent teams that always play Canada tough and that we seem to have a bit of a complex against. Two teams that could easily win gold. We're in the semi-final; it was always going to be a tough damned match. That's just the way I like it.

Another great performance from Canada, getting stronger technically, tactically and mentally each game. So sad I will be missing the next game. I am counting on the team for a gold medal match when I come out of the boonies!

Really impressed with the team cohesion and relative depth (never as much as the US but much more than I thought). Despite the many injuries on the back line, the replacement players are playing as well as the first string. Herdman's strategy of using everyone as much as possible in the leadup to the games is paying off now. Goals are being scored by 3 top rate strikers. The midfield is strong and subs coming on provide a different angle (more defensive, more offensive) but certainly no less than the starters.

Keep pushing on Canada!

LADIES Congrats, HERDMAN well done too. Please tell us you got a joker up your sleeve against the US Herdman? If we can play From WHISTLE to WHISTLE(not just 90min) like we plqayed today the first 25minutes then we will be OK

Now do we have the physical/psych to play an Overtime Game if needs to be?

NOW has Herdman accomplished what he was hired to do? We got into Olympics, got OUT of the group.....the rest is just the Cherry on the whip cream. I say he can coach for the next WCQ

Well done against a tough opponent and in a hostile environment.

As to Herdman well the real test will be Monday. He has accomplished much in 10 months but the groundwork to improve the touch and tactical thinking of the players predates him. Having the meltdown in the WWC, as painful as it was, was probably a good thing. It made them focus and realize how far they have to go. To their credit the ladies have worked their butts off to be ready and it shows.

I think everyone since Evan P has contributed in some unique way to this moment. Canada 2, USA 1 :)

I'm liking Sesselmann more and more. I thought she was brilliant at LB but she showed composure at CB as well.

Yes. I was expecting worse, and she's been a very pleasant surprize there. It helps that she's willing to head the ball out of danger, which no one else seems to be keen on. She has definitely been a source of improvement in the team over the last year (along with Scott).

I only saw the 2nd half and we were amazing at times, what maturity. Our coaching was also excellent, did you see when he changed to a 4-4-2 explicity or at least explained it to a player? He was very into the game and I think it helps that he is calm and lets them play, as they respond very well.

Vs. the States indeed we are big underdogs, mostly because of the psychological aspect. We are weak mentally against them. They will also get favourable reffing, just watch. We are going to have to be amazing and have solid defense, no dumb mistakes or slip-ups, to beat them.

Also saw Japan-Brazil, how women's football has come up, that was such a high level game on a technical level, makes me pleased for the sport.

Yes. I was expecting worse, and she's been a very pleasant surprize there. It helps that she's willing to head the ball out of danger, which no one else seems to be keen on. She has definitely been a source of improvement in the team over the last year (along with Scott).

In watching some of the matches from last year and the WWC and this year with qualification and this tourney, I think these two players have been difference makers. But for me, it's Scott's emergence that makes the midfield a ton better with her ball winning capabilities, making us harder to break down than before. And she'll be key in stopping the midfield service to Wambach et al if we hope to win this match.

Archived