2012 Olympics Match #4: Canada v. Team Great Britain

Vic

Canada v. Team Great Britain

Coventry, England

City of Coventry Stadium

Friday, August 3rd

7:30pm local time

2:30pm EST, 11:30am Pacific

Trivia: average age and height of Canada and GB is virtually the same - 28 years old and 5'6" (168cm).

We played England in the Cyprus Cup each year from 2009-2011, losing 1-3 in 2009 and winning 1-0 in 2010 and 2-0 in 2011. That said, Scotland beat England 2-0 in Cyprus that year (2011).

footabller_pa2_2278322k.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its basically the Arsenal Ladies Team ;)

Below is the Wiki Page for the Womans Super League in England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_WSL

In effect the womens game in England has undergone major route and branch reform; thing to note is that apart from Lincoln Ladies and the Bristol Academy. All the teams are associated with fully Pro, EPL and Championship sides. The National divison (2) is set up in similar fashion.

One would imagine that Pro-Rel will be on the agenda once stability is established.

Also there is a panchant for using the Term "Ladies"... Well, "We are british after all...what?"

I think they are all English except one from Scotland.
They actually started with two from Scotland, but one (Ifeoma Dieke) was injured after 1.75 matches and was replaced on the roster by an English standby. The other (Kim Little) has played 2.5 matches. There is also one Northern Irish player on standby. This page shows that info plus each player's club:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_women%27s_national_football_team#Squad

----------

Note: as of now, Canada vs. Great Britain is not scheduled for CTV or Sportsnet or TSN, but rather for OLN in English and V in French.

I am confident our Ladies can beat GB Ladies. GB win over Brazil was the result of the Brazilians being stranded on the side of a highway for 5 hours because of an alleged mechanical problem of the British bus, lack of a British phone, lack of another bus and refusal of a driver to work a bit longer. Brazil already filed a protest for what they consider a conspiracy. The fact that GB has not had any goals scored against is IMO the result of their top goalkeeper Karen Barnsley (sic).

Who will start in this match?

Will Herdman stay with the same tactics and roster?

McLeod has proved she is very shaky.

Perhaps moving Schmidt to the backline and move Wilkinson up front (where she started her career)

How about Nault vs Stewart?

The bookies are favoring GB by quite a bit.

Here's a sample 1.83 GB 3.5X 4.2 CAN

These odds must reflect the home support factor as GB are not that good, $ on our girls makes sense to me.

UK bookies make GB favorite every year to win the Eurovision song contest, so I wouldn't go by that as a measure.

Who will start in this match?

McLeod has proved she is very shaky.

Perhaps moving Schmidt to the backline and move Wilkinson up front (where she started her career)

I wouldn't change to much from the last game. Perhaps McLeod is replaced, but otherwise I like the line-up and the formation Herdman used. Whatever he does, he cannot leave Sinclair up top. The Brits will mark her out of the game. She needs to play as an AM so she can impact the game, and to give our midfield some density and so that we can control the game. She was integral to both goals against Sweden, but more from an AM role than as a striker. Wilkinson needs to stay on the right flank of D. She has been very good all tournament, and she offers us some width on overlapping runs. I think our best defense will be a midfield that OWNS the Brits, much like we saw against the Swedes. Scott, Mattheson and Schmidt, with Sinclair attacking, will be the difference.

Do yourself a favour in the morning and warmup for the game with this:

http://www.fifa.com/womensolympic/teams/team=1883718/photo/photolist.html#1673262

Steve:

- not sure how much tweaking on the tactics, hopefully a bit of movement on the roster

- doubt very much both of those

- Kim Little and Ellen White will keep you busy but Kelly Smith and Aluko are tough marks. Stewart can provide good support in limited spells and is a player for the future. In big games you go with veterans. That's not a universal law but it's a general rule. A good analogy is the price of NHL veterans at the trade deadline. Nault has the experience and maturity.

I actually like Sinclair up top. That's really where she should be. Scoring goals out of the middle is pretty hard in the women's game. It's pretty much striking from distance. Not many women can pull a Maradona and run 30 yards and get open to strike hard and/or well to net. We want Sinclair 1v1 to net. And if they opt to double, great - the other side's thinned. But doubling a high striker who knows how to walk the line isn't easily done. And if she spins back to the gap, great again, it's working well too.

All the quarters with the exception of the USA/NZ are on any given sunday and who wants it more, who gets the breaks, and most importantly who is mentally strong enough to impose their will to overcome the breaks. Because in 90 minutes there are usually a handful of good ones that are going to go against you, including a couple of real heartbreakers. You need to be absolutely driven and determined to overcome the hand of fate and succeed in major tournaments.

The odds in all three gamey quarters are questionable.

Everybody gets close attention in the 18:

1673242_big-lnd.jpg

Great photo:

1673197_big-lnd.jpg

“Not the glittering weapon fights the fight, but rather the hero's heart.”

1673241_big-lnd.jpg

This I know, as much as I think the CWNT can be mentally fragile at times, they have demonstrated a strength when playing in front of hostile crowds. They won a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAzPjhHFMvw, have beaten Mexico in Mexico, match up well in the US, and weren't intimidated playing against Germany in Germany in the WC.

I think they are better than Britain, but they'll have to prove it in a hostile environment.

Pressue is on the hosts. I think this is a good opponent for us.

Indeed it is. The Pressue is probaly more so than just the medal chase as well.

Currently the profile of womens soccer in the UK, going into the games, was begining to rise but it was from a very,very low baseline.

So now they find themselves no doubt the darlings of the UK media, Playing to outrageously large crowds and finding themselves playing amoungst the big girls with the chance to spingboard football into a new era in the UK. With the new 'stabalised' domestic set up in place the oppertunity for the game to grow in England has never been better, Thats why GB are unlikley to roll over for Canada.

Canada should win on Paper, but *cliche alert* we play football on grass not on Paper.

I'm going Penalties, Canada's bound to win on Penalties.

Archived