Canadian Attitude Needs To Change To Take The Next Step

sting

Happy that Canada won, great comeback, should be all positive, right?

Yes except if they want to get to the next level, they must change their attitude.

The game is tied 2-2 and we did take some chances but the last 3-4 mins. we tried to

play for the tie by running out the clock. Had we scored, we would have won the group.

To get to the next level, you need to play for it all and not just be happy with a quarter-final berth.

Now we will have to play a much tougher quarter-final game.

I'm not saying we would have scored the third goal but we needed to play for it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's difficult to draw systemic conclusions from the emotional ending of a brilliantly-fought 2-2 draw against superior opposition. We, sitting at home, can logically say they should have pushed more. The fact that they did not do so doesn't necessarily reflect an attitude problem, particularly given that they got burned so recently by getting that stoppage-time equalizer against Brazil then giving up the winner a heartbeat later.

It's difficult to draw systemic conclusions from the emotional ending of a brilliantly-fought 2-2 draw against superior opposition. We, sitting at home, can logically say they should have pushed more. The fact that they did not do so doesn't necessarily reflect an attitude problem, particularly given that they got burned so recently by getting that stoppage-time equalizer against Brazil then giving up the winner a heartbeat later.

I think it does. The play not to lose attitude is not good enough. If you want to get achieve success you have to start beating these

teams that are ranked higher. Sweden was not superior on the field today but if you treat them that way, you simply won't win.

The team did well but we need to take the next step and I just wanted to seem them try to win at the end.

Just think how much confidence they would have picked up if they would have won the group.

If we had been able to score one more goal to win we would have won this group instead of Sweden, so yes it is a lost oportunity. I think what was completely unexpected was that Japan did not get the result against South Africa and therefore lost their oportunity to secure top spot in this group. Had that occured, we would have finished second in the group with the win and got the quarter final berth that Japan is currently in which plays E2 (Brazil or Great Britain). Sweden's reward for winning the group is to match up against France, which at this stage I would rather have us avoid. Assuming that New Zealand wins their match later today, we get matched up against E1 (Brazil or Great Britain) so in that respect not much different than finishing second.

On the main topic of this post, the player's attitude, I agree that they are a frustrating group to watch sometimes but what I have seen so far in this tournament looks much better than last summer in Germany. Having been there in person to watch all three games of that train wreck, this summer feels like maybe the glass is half full.

Agree 100%, posted in the game thread and just saw this one now. Its a Canadian soccer virus, we don't play with enough confidence in big games and always feel like we are about to and often do lose the tight games. I don't care what Sweden is ranked, we outplayed them the whole game, the 2 goals they scored were keeper mistakes as was one of the Japan goals who is also ranked much superior to us and defending WC champions. Bottom line is Sweden had the mentality of locking up the tie, becasue they were going to be 2nd at worst and had a good shot at first in the group we had all the momentum other than the 2 goals, we had more of the ball and created many more chances we should have been confident and believed that we can win at least made the most of the opportunity when we tied the game 2-2 vs a more tired and defensive Sweden team.

Lot's of clichés IMO.

After chasing the equalizer all second half it's possible the players left a lot of energy and were happy with going through. Let's not forget that combination of freak results could've seen us finishing last third if we had lost against Sweden. So what if we try to score and Sweden scores? That could see us eliminated.

This doesn't have anything to do with Canadian soccer. It's a decision taken by the coach, maybe with the players, at a time when they felt it was in their best interest to play it safe.

Actually, not playing it safe is what have cost us many MNT important games in the past.

Lot's of clichés IMO.

After chasing the equalizer all second half it's possible the players left a lot of energy and were happy with going through. Let's not forget that combination of freak results could've seen us finishing last third if we had lost against Sweden. So what if we try to score and Sweden scores? That could see us eliminated.

This doesn't have anything to do with Canadian soccer. It's a decision taken by the coach, maybe with the players, at a time when they felt it was in their best interest to play it safe.

Actually, not playing it safe is what have cost us many MNT important games in the past.

Agreed. Making it through the group stage is job one. If you have a choice to affect whom you play next, without risking advancing, then you play for position, like Japan did against South Africa.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/france-face-sweden-womens-olympic-191319974--oly.html

Sweden were playing not to lose the whole game, they were content to sit back and not push forward and lock up a tie but not lose at all costs since they would lock up 1st or 2nd. Going all out for the win would have been a bit foolish, thats not what I'm saying but at least trying to score would have been a much better choice. Sweden were much more tired then us, since they were defending almost all of the game, their forward was left alone for much of the match and looked gassed, they just gave up a 2 goal lead how do you think mentally and physically they are feeling? We on the other hand just roared back from a 2 goal deficit, our players will have that extra energy and drive not to mention on the day we were the much better team. You have a chance you take it, if we would have at least attacked we end up winning the game more than we lose it and winning greatly helps our chance of medaling which at the Olympics is what matters.

Not putting in the corner at minimum and putting Tancredi in the box is the most ludicrous decision I've seen, also playing Mcleod idk wtf the coach can be thinking shes looked so bad and Leblanc looked so good the last game handling everything easily and exuded confidence. Piss poor tactics, although he seems to be a good team motivator and brings the girls together.

I ran out for five minutes, if that to buy a coffee. I come back and its 2 nil. Clearly this team can score on them.

You want them to take risks on moving through to the quarter final when we have lost both center backs and starting goalie?

I can't imagine the bat sh!t insanity that would prevail had we blown that in the in 92 minute.

They fought back a 2-0 deficit to secure a spot in the quarter final.

There are things that make me want to scratch my eyes out and shoot kittens watching that game, but securing a place in the knock out rounds in the last few minutes was not one of them.

What a bunch of nonsense! They got the freaking tie by coming back from two goals down, against a notoriously stingy Swedish team. The fact they did not push for the last measly three minutes does not at all suggest there is a problem with the attitude here. Get a life! They are into the quarters. They played really well today (aside from a couple of poor choices on McLeod's part)! I think this team is turning a corner and indeed stepping up. Bring on the Limeys!!!

In terms of overall play I'm not disappointed that they didn't push hard for the win. The corner however bothered me. Its a golden opportunity, throw a few people, knock it to the penalty spot and see what happens.

it could be b/c the corner was on the left, Schmidt seems to have been taking those all tourney with Matheson taking some of the ones on the right.

Folks, Japan played their ENTIRE GAME against South Africa looking for a draw.

"Japan coach Norio Sasaki used substitutes in the second half and told them to keep possession and not score, based on how the other match in Group F was going."

(http://sports.yahoo.com/news/south-africa-holds-japan-0-153528165--oly.html)

And some of you are really throwing the Canadian team under the bus for taking their foot off the pedal for FIVE MINUTES, after scoring a dramatic equalizer and -- as Jamie mentioned -- having been burned by Brazil at the very end of their final tune-up weeks earlier?

A draw guaranteed passage to the quarterfinals, a loss would have thrown that into uncertainty and winning the group would have gotten us what, exactly? Oh yeah, a matchup with France. Boy, sure is a shame we missed out on that.

All of that being said, I was also peeved at first to see the corner played short. My visceral reaction was "c'mon, give it a go, someone could get a head on it!" But then you realize, "oh yeah, most corners end up in the keeper's hands, and one swift hoof 60 yards down the field later, maybe Sweden has a golden scoring chance of their own."

Not putting in the corner at minimum and putting Tancredi in the box is the most ludicrous decision I've seen, also playing Mcleod idk wtf the coach can be thinking shes looked so bad and Leblanc looked so good the last game handling everything easily and exuded confidence. Piss poor tactics, although he seems to be a good team motivator and brings the girls together.

You have to be kidding comparing Leblanc's game against South Africa, to either of the games Mcleod played in; Yes, Mcleod made 2, maaaaybe 3 mistakes that resulted in goals, but other then that she was very solid on all simple and some complicated situations. Leblanc had barely anything to do in the South Africa game, and everything she did have come at her was extremely simple for a keeper to deal with. Let's not forget the HUGE miscommunication during the South Africa game in the first half that almost resulted in a goal for South Africa. The defense was to blame there, but Leblanc is the general and should have been screaming at those defenders before AND after it happened.

At this point though, who cares?! They qualified for the quarter-finals and probably have the best draw out of their group with Great Britain. Whether Leblanc or Mcleod play, they are both solid keepers and I look forward to cheering them on!!! The Sweden game was great to watch and everyone in Canada should be proud of these ladies because they are out there doing their absolute best and leaving everything out on the field.

In this game I found nothing wrong with running the clock in the last few minutes. Let us not blame the players, they are following their coach instructions. Blame him.

I never blamed the players. I said Canadian attitude. I do have a problem with running out the clock. If you want to be an elite team,

play like one. Go for first place. Had we, we would not have faced the home team in QF and avoided the Americans all they way to the final.

Avoiding France and not risking a loss seems like a pretty solid plan to me.

Quoting this for truth but also because sqizz' post is too long for the standard +1 type post.

Those of you who think going for glory in the group stage is important are the ones who need to change your attitude. The team played the odds correctly in securing the draw. NOW is when to go for it.

Quoting this for truth but also because sqizz' post is too long for the standard +1 type post.

Those of you who think going for glory in the group stage is important are the ones who need to change your attitude. The team played the odds correctly in securing the draw. NOW is when to go for it.

You could not be more wrong. By not putting your full effort for the win goes against the Olympic spirit of given it your best and it also

says that were just happy to make the quarter-finals. It means we did better than the World Cup result. Good teams don't settle for

third best, they try to win. If it's true that Japan threw their game and the Coach said as such they would face penalties from the

Olympics and FIFA.

If you want to be the best you can't have the attitude we better hold back and risk giving up a goal. That is playing not to lose rather

than playing to win. Elite countries don't play to not lose, they play to win. That is the attitude I'm talking about.

I'm proud of what they have done so far but they were capable of beating Sweden. They were the better team that day and need to

show other countries what they can do and more importantly to do it for themselves.

Very much agree with this. In order to be successful at a major tournament you have to play hard but you also have to play smart. Going flat out all the time when you are on the pitch might be entertaining to watch but not tactically wise. If you are in it to win it, you have to survive to the last round and plan to run a marathon not a sprint.

The Sweden game was an emotional comeback but playing a Tier 2 opponent next instead of Tier 1 (USA, France, etc.) seems the best path through. One more game to get some of the defensive lapses worked out, maybe an opportunity to get Candace Chapman back in the line up, gain some confidence and get the team into an improved rhythym. A win over GBR would likely mean a date with the USA in the semi finals, which is of course a daunting task. A loss against the USA (maybe the expected result) and you still get a shot at the Bronze medal which seems like a pretty decent consolation game.

On the other hand; maybe, just maybe, this team will be ready to face the dragon that is the USWNT. When I think of the number of times the CWNT have played the USA and been so close to the upset (notwithstanding the times when we did get blown out), only to come up short by a goal late in the game or have something else go wrong; maybe we are due. Not by having it handed to us; by playing hard and smart plus getting that one break we need. If it could happen, the timing couldn't be better.

"Everyone in this tournament is beatable," Canada midfielder Kaylyn Kyle said. "To be the best, you have got to beat they best and they are the best for a reason."

On the other hand; maybe, just maybe, this team will be ready to face the dragon that is the USWNT. When I think of the number of times the CWNT have played the USA and been so close to the upset (notwithstanding the times when we did get blown out), only to come up short by a goal late in the game or have something else go wrong; maybe we are due.

This is what I'm talking about. Almost wins. We need to get those wins to get the confidence when the chances allows us. Don't take

the foot off the peddle. People are happy to avoid USA and France. Great Britain will be very strong before the home crowd.

If you want a medal you will have face these countries at some point anyway.

On the other hand; maybe, just maybe, this team will be ready to face the dragon that is the USWNT. When I think of the number of times the CWNT have played the USA and been so close to the upset (notwithstanding the times when we did get blown out), only to come up short by a goal late in the game or have something else go wrong; maybe we are due.

This is what I'm talking about. Almost wins. We need to get those wins to get the confidence when the chances allows us. Don't take

the foot off the peddle. People are happy to avoid USA and France. Great Britain will be very strong before the home crowd.

If you want a medal you will have face these countries at some point anyway.

While I appreciate the passion in what is being said here, I believe that the analysis is overly simplistic and, as such, the tactical approach is misguided. Do you think our chances for success are best when we lower our heads like a bull and charge straight at the first brick wall?

I don't think anyone is saying that GBR will be a pushover and yes, I get that home crowd thing being a factor; maybe. And yes, I know that we will have to face at least one of USA, France or Japan (probably two) in order to medal. All in good time; let us follow the path that the fates of football has laid out for us and we will face the dragon when we must.

Archived