2012 Olympics Match #3: Canada v. Sweden

Vic

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tancredi scored with knee and shoulder?
I tuned in just in time for the goal. And with the look on her face and the replays it kinda did look like shoulder. I'm watching a stream and am surprised it hasn't been replayed more because it looked kinda fishy and I didn't get to see any slo-mo or other angles.

Phew.

Glad we tied it up and move on.

Bailey watches the game online and it's ahead.

Every time he phones me I know we are about to score.... LOL

If New Zealand wins against Cameroon , and the USA beats North Korea, Canada will face Brazil in QF. But if PDR Korea manages a draw with the gringas ; Canada will face USA !

So NZ go go go !

1E vs 3 FG

1G vs 3 EF

If New Zealand wins against Cameroon , and the USA beats North Korea, Canada will face Brazil in QF. But if PDR Korea manages a draw with the gringas ; Canada will face USA !

So NZ go go go !

1E vs 3 FG

1G vs 3 EF

Not true. Great Britain can still beat Brazil for first. We might play Great Britain.

So NZ go go go !

1E vs 3 FG

1G vs 3 EF

Brasil is the better option for us.... by far.

Canada owned this game from start to finish, the Swedes looked very ordinary.

Using Foligno Tancdredi and Sinclair on the starting lineup paid off along with leaving Kyle on the bench.

Leblanc has to play the next match as McLeod will make another bonehead mistake as she has done back to back.

Regardless of ranking, we have have matched well with Brazil.

With regard to ranking, we lost to #3 in a game that looked bad(after the first goal), but that we gifted goals; and we drew with #4 in a game where we showed we belonged. At this point, only the Americans are worthy of trepidation. The others deserve the respectful fear that is due peers who sit outside of the top 3.

Agreed about France. So while it would have been a joy to see us get the win today and end up winning the group in the process, the "reward" would have been the quarter final date with France that Sweden now has. Since France and USA got the job done in their last group matches, all we need now is to have our coach's former team get the win against Cameroon to avoid the quarter final against USA. Our opponent then would be E1 (Brazil or Great Britain) which I think is about as close to getting the draw you want as we could hope for.

The Canadian goalie is basically at fault for 3/4 goals in this tournament. And Leblanc seems to be much better, idk wtf the coach is thinking playing her this game. Great job by Canada to fight back, but once we tied it up why the **** were we not going for the win. We had all the momentum and all of the ball, we go through 3rd and will face a very tough opponent, we could have won the group with a win. Its just sad that the Canadian team just tried to play for the tie, we had a corner with a minute left and Tancredi went short, our best player in the air did'nt even go into the box and we did'nt go for the win even on a corner???? Just really sad, accepting just moving on is pathetic to be honest and the CSA should make it known thats not acceptable in that scenario.

The Canadian goalie is basically at fault for 3/4 goals in this tournament. And Leblanc seems to be much better, idk wtf the coach is thinking playing her this game. Great job by Canada to fight back, but once we tied it up why the **** were we not going for the win. We had all the momentum and all of the ball, we go through 3rd and will face a very tough opponent, we could have won the group with a win. Its just sad that the Canadian team just tried to play for the tie, we had a corner with a minute left and Tancredi went short, our best player in the air did'nt even go into the box and we did'nt go for the win even on a corner???? Just really sad, accepting just moving on is pathetic to be honest and the CSA should make it known thats not acceptable in that scenario.
They didn't "just go for the tie", they freaking came back from a 2 goal deficit and tied the game late. Yeah, they could have pushed a bit harder in the last three minutes for the win, but they were wise not to push numbers up and leave themselves vulnerable to counterattack.

Very impressed with how they played today overall. Smart to bring Sincy back and play her more like an AM. She should always play there, and I shake my head at why Herdman has not already figured this out, especially against stronger opponents. She was key on both goals today. You need to use her like you would Zidane.

Agree that I am not certain about McLeod at all. She makes very rash, silly plays at times. Leblanc seems a wiser, smarter keeper.

Come on Kiwis.

So it is set. We match up against Great Britain, New Zealand gets USA and Brazil against Japan. Obviously glad to avoid USA at this stage. Not sure whether Great Britain or Brazil would have been the preferred opponent. Brazil being the stronger team up until recently but as an opponent we know them well and match up well. Great Britain gaining some momentum these days and not as familiar to us. Plus that darned X factor of playing in front of the home crowd. High profile match for us to say the very least. Hmmmm....

Obviously they came back from a 2 goal deficit to tie the game. Its easy to plan a strategy to come back from 2-0 down, there is no other option then to try and tie the game. Once the game is 2-2 with time left they passed it around at the back going to McLeod like 4 times in a row, and the fact that they brought Tancredi short to the corner to hold up the ball in the dieing seconds of the game when they had a corner kick was baffling. Accepting a tie just is'nt the message you want to send, we should have gone for the win, we had Sweden down and out, not saying throw everyone forward, just saying we should have at least tried to launch an attack as you would in any other tie game that you want to win. It goes to our Canadian soccer psyche, that for the most part our players and the program don't think they are good enough and don't have enough confidence to rise up and snatch wins.

The task is not simple, but the reward is sweet. Beat GB and play twice more. Winning 2/3 = a medal.

Would it tempt fate too much, if we got together to watch the game?

I am thinking an Edmonton viewing get together is in order for the quarter final match. By my calculations a 19:30 start in Coventrey equals a 12:30 start here in MDT. Have you a suggestion as to the appropriate venue? I am thinking either Sherlock Holmes downtown to capture the atmosphere of GBR support vs. CAN support. Alternately the Pint downtown due to it being the defacto after game watering hole for FC Edmonton games. On the other hand, Elephant & Castle on Whyte Ave maybe?

A couple of random observations come to mind. We play our QF match in Coventry where we played Game #1 & #2, so do we have a "home field advantage" due to familiarity with the pitch? Another point is the rather interesting looking bracket for the remaining games. On the left we have the English speaking world with Great Britain and countries with a former colonial connection (USA, NZL and CAN) representing three confederations. On the right we have all non English speaking countries representing the rest of the world from three confederations.

I am thinking an Edmonton viewing get together is in order for the quarter final match. By my calculations a 19:30 start in Coventrey equals a 12:30 start here in MDT. Have you a suggestion as to the appropriate venue? I am thinking either Sherlock Holmes downtown to capture the atmosphere of GBR support vs. CAN support. Alternately the Pint downtown due to it being the defacto after game watering hole for FC Edmonton games. On the other hand, Elephant & Castle on Whyte Ave maybe?

A couple of random observations come to mind. We play our QF match in Coventry where we played Game #1 & #2, so do we have a "home field advantage" due to familiarity with the pitch? Another point is the rather interesting looking bracket for the remaining games. On the left we have the English speaking world with Great Britain and countries with a former colonial connection (USA, NZL and CAN) representing three confederations. On the right we have all non English speaking countries representing the rest of the world from three confederations.

I'll call the places to see if they have anything planned. The pint off Whyte might be best. It could mesh with Team 1260.

Archived