Whitecaps/SaltLake Game Thread 07/27/12

Battle between 2nd and 3rd place the West should be exciting.

Whitecaps will look to upset Real Salt Lake at the Rio Tinto tonight, coming off a win over the MLS leading Quakes the Caps will be flowing with confidence.

There may also be a first-team appearance from Atiba Harris after the former Salt Lake man played 45 minutes in Monday’s reserve match. It remains to be seen if captain Jay DeMerit will play a second match in 48 hours after the centre back put in a highly acclaimed 90-minute performance for the MLS All-Stars on Wednesday night, as they defeated UEFA Champions League holders Chelsea FC 3-2 at PPL Park in Chester, Pennsylvania.

Whitecaps FC will be without two players for Friday’s match. Striker Omar Salgado will be out of action for most of the summer after suffering a right foot fracture, while on international duty with the United States U-20 squad in Uruguay last month. Midfielder John Thorrington is questionable after suffering a quad strain at LA Galaxy on June 23.

Salt Lake will be without goalkeeper Lalo Fernandez (wrist) and defender Chris Schuler (foot) for Friday’s match. Centre back Jamison Olave (hamstring) is listed as questionable, while Espindola (ankle), defender Nat Borchers (quad), and midfielder Ned Grabavoy (knee) are listed as probable. Former Whitecaps FC midfielder Jonny Steele is suspended because of caution accumulation.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012/07/whitecaps-fc-set-first-clash-2012-real-salt-lake

Head to Head (1-1, agg. 3-2 Caps)

Whitecaps (3-5-3 -7)

Salt Lake (7-3-1 +8)

Starting XI

WFC - Cannon, Lee, Bonjour, DeMerit, Rochat, Koffie, Davidson, Robson, Richards, Mattocks, Camilo

RSL - Rimando, Mansally, Borchers, Watson-Sirboe, Beltran, Beckerman, Johnson, Gil, Morales, Espindola

Prediction 2-2

and for people looking for the game on tv, its not on the regular channel since the Olympics. It's on CityTV in BC

No Teibert on the bench. He had a good run warming the bench for a few weeks! So much for "he's getting closer"

I think many of the academy kids will be signed purely for the quota, once their contract runs out they will be released. Then again, I am rather cynical ;)

In an utterly shameful act of baiting YNWA let me just state that the Canadian team won! :P

That may be true, however I reckon that Rochat has spent more time in Canada than Will Johnson has. I think they both left at age two.

Oddly enough, that was probably the best road game Vancity has played all year (definitely the most entertaining). RSL really only had the penalty and the 2nd goal (which shouldn't have been much if Bonjour did any sort of defending). Then there's the play that got Cannon sent off thanks to Demerit.

Short of that, all the offensive chances went to the Caps.. how they only scored 1 goal in that 2nd half I'll never know.

Archived