Nana Attakora

PJSweet

This would be a really good move for Nana and Canada. We have to realize at some point that MLS is better than most European leagues outside the Top 5 leagues. I'll be happy to see this happen.

Maybe I'm reading the article wrong but it looks to me like it was maybe something that was going to happen, but his Finnish club unexpectedly exercised a contract option despite being relegated. Given the way MLS rules and regulations work I think it is doubtful whether any MLS team would buy out his contract, if that means giving the Finnish club his salary for the 2013 season.

Maybe I'm reading the article wrong but it looks to me like it was maybe something that was going to happen, but his Finnish club unexpectedly exercised a contract option despite being relegated. Given the way MLS rules and regulations work I think it is doubtful whether any MLS team would buy out his contract, if that means giving the Finnish club his salary for the 2013 season.

Not a good thing for nana. He is better than finnish 2nd div. Though his fault for signing this contract. Smart move by his club. Either way they get a good player or money out of this

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.mercurynews.com/earthquakes/ci_22573644/tottenham-hotspur-player-training-san-jose-earthquakes

"The team also expects to sign center back Nana Attakora, a starter with the Canadian national team."

"Attakora gives San Jose depth in a central defense led by Honduran international Victor Bernardez and Jason Hernandez. He came to the Quakes in 2011 in a midseason trade with Toronto FC but didn't return last year while playing in Finland.

"We kept in contact with Nana and kept a good relationship with him," Doyle said. "We always thought he was a good player. It was a little disappointing he wasn't here for a while."

-So I'm preparing to eat my words, but I wonder exactly what happened between Nana and SJ that led to Nana going to Finland for a year. Money?

Edited by Yohan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting that the following article on MLS.com says that Nana was called to Canada's camp for the Japan and Belarus friendlies, but SJ refused:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/03/19/san-jose-earthquakes-depth-tested-even-further-justin-morrows-usmnt-duty

Can't say that I blame SJ ... And I actually think it'll be great for Nana to get some MLS action!

Please correct me if I am wrong but this is an "international window." As such, SJ can't "refuse" to release Nana - if they did they face serious sanctions from FIFA.

Yes, the article is probably incorrect in its wording. I think it is more likely that the CSA inquired about selecting Nana and San Jose asked them not to and the CSA complied. He has a chance for a rare start with San Jose and a chance to possibly win a starting spot (SJ's defenders have underperformed so far this year) or at the very least make a case for more playing time. In this situation it doesn't make sense to call him up to be a backup player for two friendly games where he will likely spend the whole time on the bench.

“I thought he was outstanding tonight,” Yallop said. “I put him out on the field when he wasn’t ready to play [in 2011], and I think it was unfair for me to do that last time he was here. We always wanted to keep him and re-sign him. ... It’s just good to have him back, because we never wanted to lose him.”

Great to hear that from his coach. The keeper was also very impressed with him. Great start to his comeback year. Best of luck to him.

“I thought he was outstanding tonight,” Yallop said. “I put him out on the field when he wasn’t ready to play [in 2011], and I think it was unfair for me to do that last time he was here. We always wanted to keep him and re-sign him. ... It’s just good to have him back, because we never wanted to lose him.”

Great to hear that from his coach. The keeper was also very impressed with him. Great start to his comeback year. Best of luck to him.

He started with Dan Gargan and Ty Harden! Yallop should have seen what Adam Braz was up to!

He started with Dan Gargan and Ty Harden! Yallop should have seen what Adam Braz was up to!

And with Sam Cronin in midfield, a pretty tough game for TFC fans to watch.

I'm pleasantly surprised about how things have turned out for Nana. I hope this leads to more playing time for him. Not just during international breaks. I thought he was done with San Jose. What is the story here? Very strange.

And with Sam Cronin in midfield, a pretty tough game for TFC fans to watch.

I'm pleasantly surprised about how things have turned out for Nana. I hope this leads to more playing time for him. Not just during international breaks. I thought he was done with San Jose. What is the story here? Very strange.

injuries and int call ups